Suggestions needed for a A. Old. B. Fat. C. cheap bmx guy

Related:
Create New Tag

7/28/2019 12:30 PM

As per the subject heading I'm A/B/ and lastly C. wink

Anyways - I used to race (poorly) bmx back in the early to mid 80's. I had PK Ripper, a huffy that looked like a moosegoose and Robinson. All are long gone. sad

Fast forward to now (like now now) I'm in the market for a 26" bmx cruiser.

I see that Thruster (and thruster in name only as i believe Kent is making those bikes) , a Framed 26 or DK retro legend in chrome. The Thruster has a 2 Tube Cro-Moly Frame ( i assume the other tubes are hi tensile steel), the Framed is aluminum and lastly the DK (which I believe is 4130 cro mo.)

Keep in mind i'm 6ft tall and ummm, portly. I have no delusions on racing anymore ( i mean i could and get totally blown past) Just a nice cruise around the block and all. I'd love that 24" schwinn sx cruiser I've seen online but remember...comfort is key (i.e...I assume that the 24" cruiser riding would be cramped.)

I'm thinking a aluminum framed bike is a no go due to my "girth."

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

|

7/28/2019 2:41 PM

Fairdale Taj bike

|

It’s all bmx

7/28/2019 2:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2019 2:48 PM

I wish I would have bought the fairdale taj a few years ago. Why? Chrome plating and those nod to mongoose sticks. ! And the awesome gusset. :D Now the taj looks, well, boring.

|

7/29/2019 4:33 AM

nevets68 wrote:

As per the subject heading I'm A/B/ and lastly C. wink

Anyways - I used to race (poorly) bmx back in the early to mid 80's. I had PK Ripper, a huffy that looked like a moosegoose and Robinson. All are long gone. sad

Fast forward to now (like now now) I'm in the market for a 26" bmx cruiser.

I see that Thruster (and thruster in name only as i believe Kent is making those bikes) , a Framed 26 or DK retro legend in chrome. The Thruster has a 2 Tube Cro-Moly Frame ( i assume the other tubes are hi tensile steel), the Framed is aluminum and lastly the DK (which I believe is 4130 cro mo.)

Keep in mind i'm 6ft tall and ummm, portly. I have no delusions on racing anymore ( i mean i could and get totally blown past) Just a nice cruise around the block and all. I'd love that 24" schwinn sx cruiser I've seen online but remember...comfort is key (i.e...I assume that the 24" cruiser riding would be cramped.)

I'm thinking a aluminum framed bike is a no go due to my "girth."

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Stay away from the Kent bike, those are typically Walmart specials, which means you will likely spend the same as it costs on adjustments/repairs pretty quick. Those bikes are made VERY cheaply, and typically poorly assembled by someone in the store who "kinda" knows what a bike should look like. I would go with a DK if those were my only choices. Framed bikes are a decent setup-they fall kinda between department store and shop level when it comes to their BMX/entry level stuff.

Alloy parts will handle you just fine. If you are clear of 350, you MIGHT need to consider a beefier wheelset, but the frame would be just fine for cruising. In that case, I would ride it a while and if spokes start breaking when you hit bumps, hit up a local shop and have them help you set up a beefy wheelset. I've seen 400+ lb people riding stock comfort bikes around without issue (I part time in a shop).

Fairdale Taj is a rad bike too. SE has made a 26" PK ripper too.

For size comparison, I am 33, just shy of 6 feet tall, and at my heaviest I was 285. Still riding a 20" and kinda hucking it around. I also have an old mountain bike and a newer CX bike I use for most riding besides BMX.

As to racing, you would be surprised. Based on your age (assuming 40ish based on you racing in the 80s) you could easily have an age class close to yours where it is a bunch of guys out there to have fun and or spend time with their kids. We have that locally, it's like 4-5 guys, and they basically rotate who wins (unintentionally). One guy was on a like 79 Race INC most of his season. Another guy started at around 350 lbs and dropped over 100 inside of a season. They even mix cruiser and 20" because there aren't a lot of guys in the age group. Cruiser guy would win by default.

I raced last year on a freestyle bike. It's fun, and a good way to get some exercise.

But if you don't want to race, cruising is a good time too. A single speed is nice for the simplicity, but if you never intend to jump etc and want comfort specifically, I would suggest looking into geared options at a local shop as well, they will make hills easier, and are aimed for comfort/what it sounds like you plan on (at least for now)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/30/2019 6:25 PM

UPDATE : I placed a order for a DK legend (in chrome ...the way the good lord intended bmx bikes to be.) :D

|