Sunday Freeze stem

Related:
Create New Tag

5/7/2013 4:40 PM

I'm pretty new to BMX, and have no idea about the compatibility of parts. First I'd like to know, is the sunday freeze stem any good? Right now i'm using a Verde Cadet complete with some animal pedals and edwin grips, rest is stock. The stem has been holding up for a few months but now it is starting to slip like mad. I was doing some 180's over a bench at the park with friends and on my 3rd the bars completely laptop'd. I'd also like to know, would the Sunday Freeze stem fit okay on my Verde cadet?

Verde Cadet: http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102037/2012_Verde_Cadet_Bike.html#

Stem: http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/370301/Sunday_Freeze_FL_Stem.html#

Thanks!

|

5/7/2013 4:46 PM

Your bars slipping probably has more to do with how tight your stem is and wether or not the bars are any good, on my stock mirraco the bars got warped where the stem meats and they would slip too so it could be that

Other than that, I have herd a lot of positive reviews on the freeze, and it should fit any bars including yours

|

i used to like pork till i found out it came from cops...

5/7/2013 4:53 PM

Purple bike wrote:

Your bars slipping probably has more to do with how tight your stem is and wether or not the bars are any good, on my stock mirraco the bars got warped where the stem meats and they would slip too so it could be that

Other than that, I have herd a lot of positive reviews on the freeze, and it should fit any bars including yours

The stem I have now is crap. I have had to tighten/loosen it so much that the front bolts are no longer even hexagon (or whatever?) shape, but more like a circle. I have to put the alan key in and turn it sideways to tighten/loosen them. They are also beginning to rust, so I think its time for a new one. It wasn't great from the start, but now its just too much.

|

5/7/2013 4:57 PM

AfroSlice wrote:

The stem I have now is crap. I have had to tighten/loosen it so much that the front bolts are no longer even hexagon (or whatever?) shape, but more like a circle. I have to put the alan key in and turn it sideways to tighten/loosen them. They are also beginning to rust, so I think its time for a new one. It wasn't great from the start, but now its just too much.

you're not using the right size allan key if that's happening

|

5/7/2013 5:03 PM

Purple bike wrote:

AfroSlice wrote:

Check the bars too just to make sure it's not what I said too, caus e it would suck to get a new stem and still have the same problem

|

5/7/2013 5:04 PM

Purple bike wrote:

AfroSlice wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

you're not using the right size allan key if that's happening

I have a set with all different sizes, and it was working before fine, and it works on the bottom right bolt which is still hanging in there. The bike isn't perfect, it still needs a lot of work. But hey, its a start.

|

5/7/2013 5:06 PM

Purple bike wrote:

AfroSlice wrote:

Purple bike wrote:

Check the bars too just to make sure it's not what I said too, caus e it would suck to get a new stem and still have the same problem

Yeah I will, thanks for the tip. If that ended up being the case, I wouldn't be too bummed. Even if it was the bars, I would certainly need a new stem still. I was planning on getting some new bars soon anyways.

|

5/7/2013 5:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2013 5:07 PM

AfroSlice wrote:

Yeah I will, thanks for the tip. If that ended up being the case, I wouldn't be too bummed. Even if it was the bars, I would certainly need a new stem still. I was planning on getting some new bars soon anyways.

I don't blame you for wanting a new stem and stuff, I did the same think when mine stripped

EDIT:spelling

|

5/7/2013 6:48 PM

Yeah, they're right about warping bars, I warped a set of hi ten and a set of crappy stock chromo's
buy some new bars and stem too

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

5/7/2013 6:59 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Yeah, they're right about warping bars, I warped a set of hi ten and a set of crappy stock chromo's
buy some new bars and stem too

This

|

5/7/2013 9:13 PM

It's a stem. That's all there is too it these days. They are the same

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/7/2013 9:38 PM

future FBM wrote:

You sound like the guy who was saying all cassettes are the same

|

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

5/7/2013 9:38 PM

It's a good stem. If you're scared, sand the inside of the stem where the bars sit so it'll grip better. And clean the knurling on the bars completely.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/7/2013 9:44 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

It's a good stem. If you're scared, sand the inside of the stem where the bars sit so it'll grip better. And clean the knurling on the bars completely.

this. i only sold mine cause the rise was a bit too much for me

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

5/7/2013 10:33 PM

future FBM wrote:

Derek_Bolz wrote:

It's kind of true, though. I mean Stems barely ever Break, and they have no mechanical parts. Stems do come in different sizes, but that's more of a preference thing, no size is better than another.

OP, sounds like new Bolts will do the job. Get a new Stem if you want to though.

|

5/7/2013 10:41 PM

future FBM wrote:

Derek_Bolz wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

It's kind of true, though. I mean Stems barely ever Break, and they have no mechanical parts. Stems do come in different sizes, but that's more of a preference thing, no size is better than another.

OP, sounds like new Bolts will do the job. Get a new Stem if you want to though.

I'd have to agree with you, aside from stems that use unique wedges or internal clamping systems like the Tree Collet Odyssey Elementary ones, they're all pretty similar.

|

5/7/2013 10:53 PM

I hated Sunday Freezes before, but now I want one to try a topload and see how good it actually is....I mean $35 is cheaper than a tire !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/8/2013 4:57 AM

Whatever you do, don't but from Dan's. Empire all the way!

|

fack off

5/8/2013 5:11 AM

Why not get an Animal since you already have a few Animal parts? I Jumpoff remix is amazing, and my friend has the MR topload.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

5/8/2013 5:16 AM

FreddyDapice wrote:

Why not get an Animal since you already have a few Animal parts? I Jumpoff remix is amazing, and my friend has the MR topload.

This, I like the look of the animal better too

|

5/8/2013 7:54 AM

Dans has them for 24 bucks, in blue. Get some new grips to go with the stem and get free shipping.

|

5/8/2013 8:06 AM

pnj wrote:

Dans has them for 24 bucks, in blue. Get some new grips to go with the stem and get free shipping.

This, I didn't realize how cheep they were

|