Sunday darkwave forks steertube info needed

Related:
Create New Tag

10/12/2021 3:05 PM

Anyone happen to know if ur able cut down sunday darkwave forks steertube down abt 3/8in or is the top cap treads on very top of the steertube? Also if anyones riding them knows if they're lighter or heavier forks, wud be helpful.

|

10/12/2021 4:01 PM

I run these on my complete I got a year ago. They're on the light side. And yes , they're super strong. I'm over 200 lbs and sometimes land hard. They're not even fazed. They've got the lifetime, 4130 heat treated, so you should be good.

|

10/12/2021 4:05 PM

Ok Thanks, I'll be able cut down steer tube alil too correct?

|

10/12/2021 5:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2021 5:36 PM

Jc86 wrote:

Oooh, don't want to steer you wrong. You can call Sunday directly and ask them. Either email or call them. They should set you straight. Just curious. Why not the Odyssey forks. Nothing wrong with the Darkwaves, just most go for the Odyssey ones.

|

10/13/2021 12:41 AM

Cut carefully and neaten the threads after. Although most forks allow a little room to cut them down still, and have a cut line on the compression bolt too so it doesn't bottom out

|

10/13/2021 4:08 AM

If you know what you're doing, yes you can cut them down. If you don't know what you're doing ask your local bike shop, they should be able to cut down the steerer tube for you

|

It’s all bmx

10/13/2021 5:51 PM

Jc86 wrote:

Vic707b wrote:

Oooh, don't want to steer you wrong. You can call Sunday directly and ask them. Either email or call them. They should set you ...more

I run the Darkwave forks for the 28mm offset. They are essentially Odyssey R forks anyways, same heat treating and warranty. I got R32s on my jump bike.

|

10/13/2021 10:30 PM

I believe you can.

If I recall correctly, at the top of the steerer, there’s about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of non-threaded area intended to trim down if wanted.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/16/2021 11:37 AM

Jc86 wrote:

Anyone happen to know if ur able cut down sunday darkwave forks steertube down abt 3/8in or is the top cap treads on very top ...more

I have those forks on my Darkwave, and yes, I had them cut, and yes, they work great cut. I run them with a Fit integrated headset and Broc stem. I think the Odyssey integrated headset would work great with it too. Photo

|

10/17/2021 1:31 PM

Oh looks like u were able to cut it down alot, great. Was concerned cuz figured the treads start at top like the odyessy forks & darkwave steertube is extra tall, was afraid I'd have to cut half the threads off and shave the cap down the same amount. Making me nervous

Been looking at the eclat storm xlt 28mm 1.9lbs lifetime warranty, i checked w/ company cutting steer tube doesn't void warranty and there's enuff room b4 threads, but I know odyessy/sunday have a great reputation but at same time I keep finding myself satisfied w/ every eclat/saltplus/wtp product I've ever bought.

Thanks for the photo, now i just gotta make up my mind...

|

10/17/2021 1:34 PM

I've had todo same thing on wtp forks but still not thrilled abt having to cut into treads

|

10/17/2021 9:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2021 9:22 PM

Jc86 wrote:

Oh looks like u were able to cut it down alot, great. Was concerned cuz figured the treads start at top like the odyessy forks ...more

I do love Eclat products, but if your bike is a Sunday, just rock their forks. Raiford is an animal. You will notice zero difference between the two forks.

|