Surface rust on your bike

Related:
Create New Tag

8/30/2020 5:59 PM

You know that bend on your bars that always gets scratched up when you fall and the bike goes tumbling? Do you ever bother to sand/clean/repaint the area?

I ask, because, since quarantine, the surface rust has spread more than I’d like in that one particular area. When I was riding regularly, I guess I was falling every now and then, so whatever little rust was there would scrape off again when the bike hit the ground and leave exposed bare metal, then the process wold repeat.

This is the only place I ever deal with surface rust and might wanna clean this up before it gets worse, and it can get bad here with our island’s humidity and moisture. Does anyone “clean up” specifically this spot on the bars?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/30/2020 6:04 PM

I've always ran flanged grips and never had that issue.. When I bought a used bike for my son's first BMX it didn't have flanges and I was like WTF how does that happen??? Then I put 2&2 together and realized flanges have always kept that from happening to my bars..

|





8/30/2020 6:52 PM

Just sand it and spot paint it. Either a small spray or spray some paint in the cap of the can and put it on with a brush. A little rust would take quite a while to structurally deteriorate bars anyway. Spray some clear over it and keep the “patina”

|

8/30/2020 11:08 PM

A little bit of missing/scuffed up paint wouldn’t bug me. Just shows the bike gets ridden. I hate rust though. I’d probably end up sanding and touching it up like cky199 says.

|

8/31/2020 3:47 AM

My bars have this and i just sanded it and resprayed it but it came back quickly again

|

U WOT M9

8/31/2020 7:18 AM

Aussie steez wrote:

My bars have this and i just sanded it and resprayed it but it came back quickly again

After sanding you'll need to treat them with something like Krylon Rust Tough, POR-15 or Rust-Oleum Stops Rust to stop the rust coming back.

|

New BMX (Coming Soon)
Old BMX
MTB
Gravel

8/31/2020 7:52 AM

Live and let rust

|

It’s all bmx

8/31/2020 7:55 AM

I just let it rust

|

8/31/2020 6:14 PM

Aussie steez wrote:

My bars have this and i just sanded it and resprayed it but it came back quickly again

BSDizzle wrote:

After sanding you'll need to treat them with something like Krylon Rust Tough, POR-15 or Rust-Oleum Stops Rust to stop the rust coming back.

Yeah I will try that

|

U WOT M9

8/31/2020 6:59 PM

Just cut a piece of grip and move it to the bend, or do what I do and run a long enough grip that can reach the bend. I have a lever on the left so I only needed a slightly longer grip on the right. Works.

|

8/31/2020 7:32 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I've always ran flanged grips and never had that issue.. When I bought a used bike for my son's first BMX it didn't have flanges and I was like WTF how does that happen??? Then I put 2&2 together and realized flanges have always kept that from happening to my bars..

I’d run flanged if I didn’t hold my bars inside the end of the grips haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/31/2020 7:33 PM

cky199 wrote:

Just sand it and spot paint it. Either a small spray or spray some paint in the cap of the can and put it on with a brush. A little rust would take quite a while to structurally deteriorate bars anyway. Spray some clear over it and keep the “patina”

Yeah, this was my go-to plan, was wondering if anyone regularly does this.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/31/2020 7:36 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Just cut a piece of grip and move it to the bend, or do what I do and run a long enough grip that can reach the bend. I have a lever on the left so I only needed a slightly longer grip on the right. Works.

I would, but anything longer than an ODI Longneck just looks and feels excessive to me. Moving a small cut piece would probably bug me too haha. Maybe I should throw on the gyro again. XD

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn