Suspension fork for a bmx bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/10/2018 6:38 PM

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/components/fork/XCM-AIR-SL-20-5619.html

Would it be worth getting one if I do some trail riding and dirt jumping on the side? I've ridden mountain bike trails with my bike and its just not possible with all the roots slowing me down and throwing me off the trail. Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on making this as capable as a mountain bike, just something for fun.

|

1/10/2018 7:00 PM

No

|

1/10/2018 7:59 PM

Why are you riding a BMX on a MTB trail?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

1/10/2018 8:09 PM

Sorta got the idea here from a long time ago, ">

I only have 1 type of bike, and both activities of mountain biking, bmx, and dirt jumping are all available to me.
|

1/10/2018 10:14 PM

Do it! Id love to see a mini mountain bike.

I hate when a berm is all bumpy and it slows the whole thing down...

Might help, not really too sure. Either way I think, as you said, it will be fun!

|

1/10/2018 10:39 PM

I believe they call those Dirt jumpers my friend...

|

1/11/2018 1:23 AM

They'll drastically change the geometry of your bike, but yolo

|

1/11/2018 2:56 AM

Cool idea but I think the sag on the fork would make the head tube angle a bit steep... bit twitchy for what you want it for..

|

1/11/2018 3:58 AM

phildaw1972 wrote:

Cool idea but I think the sag on the fork would make the head tube angle a bit steep... bit twitchy for what you want it for.. ...more

Opposite affect, there's 80mm of travel, meaning the forks will have a greater a2c than any bmx forks, even accounting for sag. So the ha will be mellower, and the bb and front end higher

|

1/11/2018 4:07 AM

phildaw1972 wrote:

Cool idea but I think the sag on the fork would make the head tube angle a bit steep... bit twitchy for what you want it for.. ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Opposite affect, there's 80mm of travel, meaning the forks will have a greater a2c than any bmx forks, even accounting for ...more

Ah.. ok.. I assumed they would start at the same length as a standard fork and then get lower... makes sense... so it would look like a chopper :-)

|

1/11/2018 6:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2018 6:59 AM

I forgot about the fork needing to be longer overall in order for it not to bottom out when compressed. Also didnt think about the compression changing the geomentry. Great points! I still think it would be fun but now that those have been brought up I dont think it would be practical fun. Like a one day and be done with it kind of fun.

|

1/11/2018 8:07 AM

Just put an 18" wheel on front to make up the difference.

Send it brah

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/7/2018 7:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2018 7:29 AM

No, you'll lose a lot of pop off the lip too.

|

3/7/2018 7:31 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

No, you'll lose a lot of pop off the lip too.

Late replyin ass..

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/7/2018 3:19 PM

phildaw1972 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Opposite affect, there's 80mm of travel, meaning the forks will have a greater a2c than any bmx forks, even accounting for ...more

Travel is up and down nothing to do with offset

|

3/7/2018 3:28 PM

phildaw1972 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

But when your front end is dynamically compressing the head tube angle will change because your front end will be lower to the ground at some points. Picture a 12" kids bike wheel on the front and a regular 20" wheel on the rear. The headtube would feel steeper just because of the different size wheel in front.

You can change the geometry of your bike with different size tires. If you get a big ol fatty in the front and a lil narrow guy in the back it will bring your front end up a bit exaggerating the head tube angle. Same with different kinds of forks.

Obviously it doesnt physically change the frame but it does change how the bike feels. smile

|

3/7/2018 3:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2018 3:43 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

It absolutely is to do with the offset. When you compress a suspension fork, it'll tip the headtube forwards as it goes down, basically pivoting around the rear axle. So, as you get closer to bottoming it out, your headtube angle will be significantly steeper than how it started.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/7/2018 5:07 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

It absolutely is to do with the offset. When you compress a suspension fork, it'll tip the headtube forwards as it goes down, ...more

I was stating that it is up and down because someone said the 80mm travel will mean it will be more mellow. I get how it works I don't think the other person did

|

3/7/2018 9:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2018 9:26 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Why are you riding a BMX on a MTB trail?

that was all we did back in the day...because that is all we had. BMX was riding dirt/"MTB" trails.

I ride my BMX on the trails around here now, and always get weird looks. Honestly, it is a bit easier to climb with than my real MTB because it is lighter. The only issue is the tires are not as aggressive as my MTB tires right now.

It does not roll over stuff as well with the 20" wheels (my MTB has 29" wheels) but it is very fun to ride on the trails. I also will ride my MTB at the park sometimes

all of that being said, I would never put a suspension fork on my BMX....I don't have one on my MTB because of growing up riding BMX on dirt trails. I hate the feeling of the bike being "squishy"...I feel like it wastes momentum and does . the job that my legs and arms should be doing. I don't "connect" with the trail as well

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

3/7/2018 11:12 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

It absolutely is to do with the offset. When you compress a suspension fork, it'll tip the headtube forwards as it goes down, ...more

NateBrown62 wrote:

I was stating that it is up and down because someone said the 80mm travel will mean it will be more mellow. I get how it works ...more

Longer a2c means higher front end. Meaning mellower ha.

|

3/8/2018 12:00 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

I was stating that it is up and down because someone said the 80mm travel will mean it will be more mellow. I get how it works ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Longer a2c means higher front end. Meaning mellower ha.

I gotcha. I didn't know what a2c meant. Learn something new everyday.

|