Switching stance

Related:
Create New Tag

9/5/2018 4:09 PM

Just got back on a bike seriously after 10 years, as of last week. (Holy crap theres been sooooo much progression in technology and riding!) Has anyone ever found themselves in a different stance after a break? If so, did you adapt to your new stance or force yourself to your original stance?

I used to be RFF, now im LFF for some reason. I still have my basic hops and manuals. Bars was tricky the first two days. But spinning is really weird. Haven’t tried any tails yet, as my bmx muscles are still a bit weak.

|

9/5/2018 4:28 PM

I tried and its pretty fucked

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/5/2018 4:47 PM

I've heard of it happening after injuries, but I've also heard trying to switch from Right Handed to Left handed is actually bad for your brain? Something about screwing with your motor skills or something.

|

9/5/2018 5:10 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

I've heard of it happening after injuries, but I've also heard trying to switch from Right Handed to Left handed is actually bad for your brain? Something about screwing with your motor skills or something.

Ive heard the same thing too..

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/5/2018 5:21 PM

I think skateboarding these past 10 years has messed with my motor skills then O.O

Dont push wood kids, not even once

|

9/6/2018 1:04 AM

I skated for a few years before BMX. On a board I was goofy and was happiest spinning backside. So when I got on a bike I didn’t even think about it. It was just right foot forward and spin left naturally.

Was you regular on a board?

|

9/6/2018 4:58 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

I think skateboarding these past 10 years has messed with my motor skills then O.O

Dont push wood kids, not even once

Let me guess, you were regular on the board? As in left foot forward. I've been skating a lot in the past, also been snowboarding for 10+ years. Both regular. And tbh sometimes it feels like LFF would be more normal to ride with but I'm still RFF on the bike.

|

9/6/2018 5:11 AM

I skated for quite a bit, was rff and found backside easier. And I've always been rff and spun to the left on a bike. Strangely, I was more consistent with nollie and switch flip tricks. But I can barely hop switch on a bmx. I reckon I could crank flip easier switch though, regular just feels like I'm kicking with the wrong foot. When skating I could nollie heelflip, nollie varial heel and nollie bs heel easier than I could regular kickflip. My regular flip game was weak. But I could backside 180 fairly big stairs and do quite a few grinds all regular, and only a couple of things other than heel flip tricks switch.

A run would usually consist of a regular grind, nollie bs heel, then some kind of fakie or half nab grind. I miss skating. It's too hard though.

|

9/6/2018 5:16 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I skated for quite a bit, was rff and found backside easier. And I've always been rff and spun to the left on a bike. Strangely, I was more consistent with nollie and switch flip tricks. But I can barely hop switch on a bmx. I reckon I could crank flip easier switch though, regular just feels like I'm kicking with the wrong foot. When skating I could nollie heelflip, nollie varial heel and nollie bs heel easier than I could regular kickflip. My regular flip game was weak. But I could backside 180 fairly big stairs and do quite a few grinds all regular, and only a couple of things other than heel flip tricks switch.

A run would usually consist of a regular grind, nollie bs heel, then some kind of fakie or half nab grind. I miss skating. It's too hard though.

Funny, I know a local skater who has pretty much the same thing going on that you did. I've seen like 3 regular flips from him ever, but I've seen plenty of nollie/switch laser flips, tre flips and what not. And from that trick list it seems like you were pretty good at skating actually.

|

9/6/2018 8:04 AM

I am goofy on a skateboard, surfboard, and snowboard. If i try to push regular stance, i’ll lose balance and bail. I can only push mongo when I ride switch. I can ollie to my belly button (I’m 6’2”) and huck it down big drops/gaps. My tricks were backwards though, like @grumpySteve and that dude that @Rabbe knows. I would heelflip, laser flip, frontside 3pop, overcrook etc. My only normal tricks were like switch tre and nollie fullcab.

I was even shopping for a LHD bike, but I found a really cheap barely used RHD on craigslist n just set money aside for a new wheel and cranks. I think I’m just gonna get used to spinning and take the L in a drop in skill, because RHD parts are way easier to find and come in better colours like always. It’s just really weird because I did bmx for 7 years RFF, and now im suddenly not.

|

9/6/2018 10:03 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

I am goofy on a skateboard, surfboard, and snowboard. If i try to push regular stance, i’ll lose balance and bail. I can only push mongo when I ride switch. I can ollie to my belly button (I’m 6’2”) and huck it down big drops/gaps. My tricks were backwards though, like @grumpySteve and that dude that @Rabbe knows. I would heelflip, laser flip, frontside 3pop, overcrook etc. My only normal tricks were like switch tre and nollie fullcab.

I was even shopping for a LHD bike, but I found a really cheap barely used RHD on craigslist n just set money aside for a new wheel and cranks. I think I’m just gonna get used to spinning and take the L in a drop in skill, because RHD parts are way easier to find and come in better colours like always. It’s just really weird because I did bmx for 7 years RFF, and now im suddenly not.

Hmm, definitely an interesting situation. But yeah, I'd say just go with the flow and ride how it feels most natural.

|

9/6/2018 10:30 AM

I ride RFF and spin to the left - but when I do front-peg flatland tricks I'm using my left foot - I skate goofy and when I play soccer then I'm "better" with my left foot ... that's weird ...

|

9/6/2018 10:41 AM

I dont skate, i ride LFF on a board and i ride LFF on a bike... oh, i push regular too.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/6/2018 12:20 PM

I spin correct but do barspins and footjams wrong. Which sucks it makes any barspin variation suck. I can 180 bar but they're so ugly I never do them haha. I dont use my left foot or hand for anything (though I do footjam whip right). It does make doing barspins out of grinds easier which is cool

|

45 refs and counting check profile.