Tailwhip help

Related:
Create New Tag

4/1/2019 6:34 PM

Can you guys check out my video^^^ and tell me what I am doing wrong with my whips? I can land one foot or over/to frame most of the time but I can't catch it pedals. I guess my main problem is I'm not staying in the air long enough and I keep planting my foot but its mostly because every time I try to fully commit I end up clipping my leg on the front wheel or bar mid air, and usually bust ass. No clue what I'm doing wrong, been stuck at this stage for months now .
|

4/1/2019 6:42 PM

Looks to me like you're not popping at all; just kinda trying to float it, which will definitely make it harder for you as you have to get it around and catch much quicker.

Also looks like you're not spinning enough: the bike should be doing a 270, give or take, which means you need to do a 90 to meet it properly.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/1/2019 6:57 PM

Go for your front pedal more don’t worry so much about the back just kinda get it on something. Just really commit to landing on it somehow. Make sure you go high enough too.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/1/2019 7:16 PM

@p1p1092 Yeah I totally see that but when I try to pop up like a spring and suck my legs up I just hit my leg against the stem or something.

@Four Do you think that would be easier? I have been trying them the Chase Dehart way where I catch both pedals, because I figured that was easier than front foot catch. If you're saying the latter is actually easier then I guess it makes sense to catch front foot and just suck my back foot as high as possible and hope it lands on the seat or frame or something.

|

4/1/2019 7:25 PM

Yeah I did them similar to that style. I don’t know how people do that weird bent back leg thing. That’s like a park flyout thing maybe idk. But I still landed front foot first I would aim for that and the back would just kind of follow right after. sometimes you land seat but it counts still haha.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/1/2019 8:25 PM

You are hitting the stem bars and front wheel because you are turning your bars A LOT and then twisting them back into position; killing a fair amount of the energy. Surprised you arent hitting your chest with the barends, its like so close every time. I try to keep my bars relatively straight and just like jerk it to the side opposite of spin of the bike so it spins around faster.

Also, the way you are sucking your feet up is really inconsistent. So its going to be hard for you to dial in and correct your mistakes since its so different every time. Suck your knees to your chest like a cannonball, but obviously not that exaggerated. Then meet it with your front foot like other users said or youre gonna be bashing the heck out of your ankles once you start getting it.

Idk if this is the best way, but how I learned was going off a kicker into grass. They told me to not worry about landing it, just get the bike around and stop it with my front foot and just land with my feet on both sides of the bike. Then start getting my feet on after i could do that consistently. ?‍♂️

After you start landing them, then you can tweak your style and catch both feet if you want. Personally I think it looks steezy when you catch front foot first and then like delay the back foot coming on like youre doing a one-footer, but thas jus me.

|

4/2/2019 5:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2019 5:12 AM

When I was learning them back in the day, I started to do a no foot can style kick some-it kept my feet and knees together which made it easier to bring them back under me and onto the pedals.

Been a long time since I stomped one, but the time will come this year and I will make it happen.

Also I learned to hit the front pedal 100% of the time by trying them to tire tap. Sounds weird but it helped me get into position SO MUCH better.

You also need to figure out how to pop up and stay over the bike a bit more. Seems like you are leaning back a tad which lets it get farther away from you when you try to catch.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/2/2019 5:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2019 5:20 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

When I was learning them back in the day, I started to do a no foot can style kick some-it kept my feet and knees together which made it easier to bring them back under me and onto the pedals.

Been a long time since I stomped one, but the time will come this year and I will make it happen.

Also I learned to hit the front pedal 100% of the time by trying them to tire tap. Sounds weird but it helped me get into position SO MUCH better.

You also need to figure out how to pop up and stay over the bike a bit more. Seems like you are leaning back a tad which lets it get farther away from you when you try to catch.

">2010 Edit Team Taco from Dave Lawrence on Vimeo.

If you skip to around 6:17 you can see a whip I landed where I got front foot on, and my back foot hit my seat.

Side note, I filmed most of, and edited this in 2010. That was nearly 9 years ago. Jeebus. There is also one where I miss the rear pedal and fall right at the end of my part.
|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/2/2019 6:47 AM

Alright lads today I will try the above mentioned suggestions of not turning my bars so much, turning myself downside a bit, popping higher, focusing on the front foot, and keeping the knees together like cans. I kind of feel like this all falls under the remedy of just popping higher and staying over the bike, but ofc thats easier said than done. I'll film these attempts and update you guys, you will be the saviors that help me finally learn this trick!!!

|

4/2/2019 12:38 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Alright lads today I will try the above mentioned suggestions of not turning my bars so much, turning myself downside a bit, popping higher, focusing on the front foot, and keeping the knees together like cans. I kind of feel like this all falls under the remedy of just popping higher and staying over the bike, but ofc thats easier said than done. I'll film these attempts and update you guys, you will be the saviors that help me finally learn this trick!!!

You pretty much have it-just gotta figure out how to stay over the bike a bit more and then throw your feet on.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/3/2019 6:24 PM

I tried turning downside a bit and keeping the bars straight today and it really helped. Still didn't land but i feel a lot closer than before. I'm still landing front foot on pedal, second foot on the ground on the side though. Gotta find the balls and pop harder and suck the legs up more, can't seem to find the energy/courage even with shin guards

|

4/4/2019 8:56 PM

">

So here's where I'm at now guys. I started to turn a bit and now I'm landing to frame. It felt like I was jumping a lot higher today but watching back the footage I barely popped at all. But I feel like I'm getting closer now. You guys got any tips to stop bitching out and planting my foot down always?
|

4/4/2019 9:02 PM

Try landing one-footed

It could be worse; you could only be able to get your back foot on...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

XxCAKEWOLFxX

4/4/2019 9:46 PM

This. only land fromt foot n keep the back foot up. Then as you put ur back foot on during the rollaway, youll do it sooner and sooner till youre catching it

|

falloftroy20

4/5/2019 7:37 AM

I was thinking of doing exactly that!!! But I've got this mental block, I feel like I'm scared to roll away, like not mentally ready to land this trick. Stupid as hell, but I'll have a massive cup of coffee and really try to commit fully. Thanks bros, I'll keep you updated

|