Take grips off with screwed ends?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2013 6:46 AM

I'm trying to change my sons BMX grips. I've cut one off, but there's a separate part on the end that has a long screw in, and seems to be stuck/soldered onto the end?

I've never done this before, could anyone advise how to get this part off?

|

7/18/2013 7:14 AM

They're barends. You just unscrew them and kinda work to get them out they're a bitch sometimes.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/18/2013 8:30 AM

Just take it to a bike shop

|

fack off

7/18/2013 9:19 AM

Unscrew the screw a fair bit, then push it in so the screw goes back in to the end, and pull the whole thing out.

|

7/18/2013 12:32 PM

Unscrew fully.

Muscle.

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

7/18/2013 12:35 PM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

Unscrew fully.

Muscle.

It amazes me that so many people don't know how to take Bar ends out properly. You just need to screw them out a bit, push the screw back in, and the bar end will pretty much just slide out.

|

7/18/2013 12:57 PM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

Unscrew fully.

Muscle.

BMX_Forever wrote:

It amazes me that so many people don't know how to take Bar ends out properly. You just need to screw them out a bit, push the screw back in, and the bar end will pretty much just slide out.

Odyssey par ends is gods gift to bar ends

|

7/18/2013 1:05 PM

Vitalbmx.com.The helpfull site..........

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

7/18/2013 1:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2013 1:29 PM

+1 to unscrewing and pushing the screw back in. Your bar end probably looks like this. When you tighten the screw, it drags the silver wedge to the body of the bar end (black). Because of the wedge/angled slope, the silver wedge gets smashed into the inside of the handle bars. If you unscrew the screw, it will most likely still be stuck. Tap the screw with a piece of wood (or hammer if it's REALLY stuck), and it will knock the wedge back. Voila! :D

Photo

|

7/19/2013 5:16 AM

Four wrote:

They're barends. You just unscrew them and kinda work to get them out they're a bitch sometimes.

Thanks guys, this was the problem, I got them out by tapping with a hammer.

|

7/19/2013 6:46 AM

Four wrote:

flobby wrote:

Thanks guys, this was the problem, I got them out by tapping with a hammer.

Get your son some odyssey cufflinks

|