Taking Hard Landings

Related:
Create New Tag

5/16/2017 9:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/16/2017 9:32 AM

I just did my first roof drop last week, it was about maybe a little over 6ft and the biggest thing I've jumped off and when I landed it was significantly sketchy with my back foot taking most of the impact, I landed back tire first too.
My question is, when I step up to a bigger drop (maybe a foot or so higher) how can I take the impact better so I don't hurt myself or wreck? I land back tire first most of the time and relax to absorb impact too. I figured there has to be a trick considering I see other riders jump off 12ft drops and not react too violently. I land back tire first most of the time and relax to absorb impact too.

|

5/16/2017 10:05 AM

Landing with both tires at the same time seems to h lp me a lot. I've been working on that lately. It's saving my wrists some pain. Other than that, just keep riding, and practicing. You'll get smother.

|

5/16/2017 11:08 AM

Go faster

|

5/16/2017 11:15 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Go faster

This. If you watch a lot of the large drops, they go fast to not just plop down.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/16/2017 6:35 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Go faster

dave lawrence wrote:

This. If you watch a lot of the large drops, they go fast to not just plop down.

Yup, this x2. When I did my biggest drop (7 feet to flat) I was going really slow. It had a short run up and I was running a 30-9 ratio at the time. I sunk into it, but I had to take both my feet off, otherwise I would've fallen off backwards.

Summed up: Go faster, land backwheel first and then front wheel.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

5/16/2017 8:55 PM

Speed and above everything relax. Commit 100% and relax. A death grip for example is only going to hurt your wrists and hands. A more relaxed grip helps alot.

Also if you can find or make a slope to land on...those help a ton. But, not every drop has a way to make one.

|

5/16/2017 10:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/16/2017 10:20 PM

Some of the advice here isn't so good... For a big drop ride as fast as you can and make sure to hop off it (not just ride off, even though it's more natural) and give it a good tuck. It will make it look better and tucking off the drop will also make you want to un-tuck and "put down the landing gear" as i say. Definetly do NOT try to land both tires at the same time. That is a wrist and ankle killer! Also, death gripping can be good, maybe it does hurt your wrists more, but i'd rather have a hurt wrist and land it than slip off my grips and eat shit. But yeah, more speed = less impact.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/17/2017 5:12 AM

Landing both tires at the same time feels so good to me. Obviously not in every situation. For me I noticed the closer I can get, while still landing back tire first, like milliseconds before the front, the smother it feels. Especially on transitions or banks. I guess it could be kind of dangerous, but it's been saving my wrists a ton lately. Seems like more weight gets absorbed by my legs then my arms.

|

5/17/2017 5:57 AM

I'll try it out, I have a few drops to apply these ideas to before I go big, Planning on doing a 12 set this summer so I need all the practice I can get

|