Taking time off due to sore knees

Related:
Create New Tag

8/31/2019 12:02 PM

This sucks.

I just got into BMXing a few weeks ago and have put in about 100-200 km on it with road riding (getting A to B ). I was sitting on the low seat and peddling. Didn't think it would do any damage, but as time went on my knees have been becoming more sore. Right now they are sore to touch, but I can walk without soreness.

So, I've been relaxing and likely took a little too much Naproxen yesterday. My chest has been hurting since the morning but is finally not hurting as much now.

I just wanna get out there with the bike. Was making so much progress, and now this.

If anyone has had this issue: how long did your sore knees take to heal?

|

8/31/2019 2:38 PM

Bmx bikes aren’t meant to pedal while sitting, it’s literally impossible with a slammed seat and really uncomfortable with a few inches of post showing up, it’s okay to cruise a few streets this way but 200 f****** kilometers !! You’re mad !!

The only times I pedal while sitting is to maintain my speed while cruising decently fast, never to accelerate or after a stop, that’s probably why your knees hurts, just rest a few days, muscle up and pedal while standing up you’ll be fine.

|

8/31/2019 3:35 PM

Wish I knew this before. Oh, well. Live and learn...

It seems that peddling whilst standing up hurts my knees and sitting down doesn't, or at least not nearly as much. So standing is not an option for me at the moment.

I've currently raised my seat as high as it will safely (e.g., not past the 'Max' line) go. I'll be buying a cheap stem extension to accommodate the higher seat. The tricks I'll be doing don't require hopping or jumping, so the height is fine for me.

Chest still hurts. Don't take too much Naproxen.

|

8/31/2019 5:29 PM

Always stand while riding, and stop taking pills for pain thats my advice oh and go vegan 🌱

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

8/31/2019 6:11 PM

You rode 200km on the frankenbike? Do you think your bike modifications may have something to do with this pain?

Are you tall? Your legs may not be fully extending which is rough on knees. Having to bend your knees constantly cause you can't coast is also going to be hard on them.

|

9/1/2019 12:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2019 12:28 AM

Wrong tool for the job man. The fact that you have a fixie hub, roadie bars, and then throw it into a long distance run, you’re looking for problems.

I wouldn’t even do 200 on a normal BMX.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

9/1/2019 6:17 AM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Always stand while riding, and stop taking pills for pain thats my advice oh and go vegan 🌱

The pills aren't for pain but inflammation. And I am vegan—been vegan for over 10 years.

You rode 200km on the frankenbike? Do you think your bike modifications may have something to do with this pain?

Are you tall? Your legs may not be fully extending which is rough on knees. Having to bend your knees constantly cause you can't coast is also going to be hard on them.

I am 5'5". I think it was to do with the scrunched peddling for so long.

Wrong tool for the job man. The fact that you have a fixie hub, roadie bars, and then throw it into a long distance run, you’re looking for problems.

I'll be raising the seat to regular road cycle height. Yeah, it'll look hilarious, but my knees will LOVE love!
|

9/1/2019 6:45 AM

Get a quick adjjust seat post clamp if you can. Or keep an allen with you and just run that f'ing seat way up when your commuting. Then when you get to a spot drop it to where you want. I had some pain on the insides of my knees, I think it's the MCL area for about a month or 2 when I started riding. It will go away. Your smart for taking some time off and letting them heal up. Over time the pain will likely completely dissappear.

|

9/1/2019 7:41 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Get a quick adjjust seat post clamp if you can. Or keep an allen with you and just run that f'ing seat way up when your commuting. Then when you get to a spot drop it to where you want. I had some pain on the insides of my knees, I think it's the MCL area for about a month or 2 when I started riding. It will go away. Your smart for taking some time off and letting them heal up. Over time the pain will likely completely dissappear.

Actually, that's what I was planning to do—great minds think alike?

I'm glad it went away for you; that gives me hope it'll do the same for me. The bizarre thing is that I can ride the bike backwards (with my butt on the seat) with or without hands without any pain, likely due to the better extension of my legs when peddling—even stopping is easier when riding backwards.

I guess I could theoretically just carry a mirror and ride backwards everywhere.

|

9/1/2019 7:46 AM

tubbytime wrote:

I'm glad it went away for you; that gives me hope it'll do the same for me. The bizarre thing is that I can ride the bike backwards (with my butt on the seat) with or without hands without any pain, likely due to the better extension of my legs when peddling—even stopping is easier when riding backwards.

I guess I could theoretically just carry a mirror and ride backwards everywhere.

Don’t, or you’ll come back soon with ‘‘taking time off due to broken neck’’

|

9/1/2019 8:54 AM

Inflammation causes pain eat some turmeric root

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram

old edit

9/1/2019 2:12 PM

It may still be your body getting acclimated to the sudden increase in activity. Rest, ice, NSAIDs (eg: naproxen), and once the soreness is gone resume your activity. Maybe ramp things up slowly though.

Also I gotta agree with others here in that a bmx isn't suited for long distance riding. Get a road bike for that.

|

9/1/2019 3:55 PM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

It may still be your body getting acclimated to the sudden increase in activity. Rest, ice, NSAIDs (eg: naproxen), and once the soreness is gone resume your activity. Maybe ramp things up slowly though.

Also I gotta agree with others here in that a bmx isn't suited for long distance riding. Get a road bike for that.

I ride my bmx up to 44 miles at times, a bmx is well suited for it if you stand up and pedal it out like a real man

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

9/1/2019 6:18 PM

sorry about the sore knees, only advice i have is start having your boyfriend lay down the next time you blow him

|

13 years old

9/1/2019 6:28 PM

Krooked wrote:

sorry about the sore knees, only advice i have is start having your boyfriend lay down the next time you blow him

You should show him the right technique. You seem to be quite familiar with it...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/1/2019 6:33 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

tubbytime wrote:

Francky wrote:

Don’t, or you’ll come back soon with ‘‘taking time off due to broken neck’’

I'm riding tomorrow regardless. It'll be very light riding involving riding backwards. I just don't want to stay in the house and vegetate.

Inflammation causes pain eat some turmeric root

I don't have turmeric root, but I have been eating my veggies.

I'm hoping to make it suitable with my modifications.

I ride my bmx up to 44 miles at times, a bmx is well suited for it if you stand up and pedal it out like a real man

Standing the entire time and peddling on a BMX fixie is not nearly as fun or easy as on a BMX freewheel where you can cruise whenever you want to.
|

9/2/2019 7:50 AM

Dude your knees hurt because your bike is insane. BMX bikes in general aren't exactly comfy

|

9/2/2019 7:54 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Dude your knees hurt because your bike is insane. BMX bikes in general aren't exactly comfy

Lol

|

9/2/2019 11:01 PM

I mean no offence here, but this sounds like a lot of time, effort, and money to end up with something that isn’t really fit for any purpose.

|

9/3/2019 2:55 AM

Maybe just stop being an idiot and ride a fucking real bike rather than sitting down on a BMX that has a fixie wheel, no wonder you're in pain. Do yourself a favour and just get a fixie

|

9/3/2019 8:26 AM

I tried fixie and it gave me knee pain.

But also there is a reason roadie seats are so high. Too low a seat with lots of mileage means you are going to get knee pain and if you aren't careful damage to your knees. BMX is great but the bikes are not made for 100-200km a week of road riding. You need to get a different bike to do that kind of mileage.

|

9/3/2019 9:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2019 9:31 AM

I agree with the last few replies.

I get you live in a small space and a fixie is pricey, but a fixie isn’t THAT big compared to a BMX. And at this point, you’ve go an extremely specialized bike, you simply can’t be taking this thing long distance, it’s clearly too uncomfortable and not suited well for anything. You made it for artistic cycling, and that’s about all it should be used for, if it even can be used for that.

What you’re doing now isn’t BMX anymore...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

9/3/2019 4:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2019 4:35 PM

readybmxer wrote:

I agree with the last few replies.

I get you live in a small space and a fixie is pricey, but a fixie isn’t THAT big compared to a BMX. And at this point, you’ve go an extremely specialized bike, you simply can’t be taking this thing long distance, it’s clearly too uncomfortable and not suited well for anything. You made it for artistic cycling, and that’s about all it should be used for, if it even can be used for that.

What you’re doing now isn’t BMX anymore...

Buying a fixed gear bike would be more expensive and create more problems as I see it: the fixed gear bikes I've seen still take a BMX type stem, so the handlebar issue would remain the same. Also, a fixed gear bike generally has a more slack head bar angle; I want a more steep angle to do tricks and tighter turns. As well, the lower top bar on the BMX is better for tricks and bailing, as it doesn't get in the way as much.

Today I bought a long, new seat bar for $8.50 USD., so my seat height is now where it should be (legs 30 deg. angle at full ext.). I'll post pics tomorrow. This, combined with the comfy spring-loaded seat, does offer adequate comfort. And peddling is very smooth and responsive, especially due to the fixie cog.

I just have to figure out a way to get the handlebars to go straight up, and I have some ideas; a simple BMX bar extension with a close fitting BMX stem should suffice. My bike coop doesn't have extensions, so I'll have to find one elsewhere.

|

9/3/2019 10:14 PM

I do actually wanna see new pics of this thing. If I hadn't already seen some photos I wouldn't believe it was real.

|

9/4/2019 4:09 PM

Beamex wrote:

I do actually wanna see new pics of this thing. If I hadn't already seen some photos I wouldn't believe it was real.

Here is the bike. Obviously, the stem riser and long seat post are weak points. I'll likely take the stem riser off and lower the seat once my knees are better and stand when peddling. The break cable could then go through the stem to allow for gyro-type turning.

In any event, I'll not be doing any grinding, jumping, or falling tricks. All my tricks are jolt-free.

The fine in Canada for having no brakes is $480. My breaks cost about $14, so as much as I don't want to have them, and as ugly as they are, they're necessary for my peace of mind when riding around the city with police looking for reasons to give people tickets. I chose a brake that was as out of the way as possible.

A bell and rear reflector are also required by law, so I added them as well ($7).

|

9/4/2019 4:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2019 5:01 PM

|

9/4/2019 5:24 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

LMFAO

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

9/4/2019 6:17 PM

It's basically a Franken-BMX-Suicide bike.

I wish it was easier than this to do what I wanna do.

But, until I have $3000 to buy the bike below, I'm stuck with it.

Check out the two extra bolts below where the seat post attaches, which further secure the seat rail post. Note the extremely steep head tube angle and straight up/down handle bars and forks. The tires are also very close together. I've come to realize that there's simply no way I'll be customizing any bike to be even close to that one below.

Some of the tricks I'd like to do with the bike below. In fact, many of the athletes in the video below are riding Langenberg bikes. There are only two companies in the world that make these types bikes, and I believe both are located in Germany. There is another company that rents them, as most European families probably can't afford them:

|

9/4/2019 10:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2019 10:42 PM

That looks like something Will Ferrel or Andy Samberg would make a film about..

Have you tried asking questions etc on a mountain bike or road bike forum? You might actually get some useful information from there with it being a much wider audience!

|

9/5/2019 12:19 AM

^Heh, new to artistic bmx cycling I see.

Apparently there are only 13 people on earth that do this on a suitable frame and none of them speak English. There is just ONE that does this with a BMX frame. Some say he's a crazy. Some say he's a pioneer. Some say that his knee joints are just calcium powder.

It's pretty clear artistic bmx cycling is the next big trend. I've already seen two of the early completes due for the 2021 model year. The Fit Slender, and the WTP Ballerina. Both look revolutionary.

But seriously, the look of the bike now reminds me of those folding bicycles. Just don't destroy your body on that thing.

|