Taking your bike on planes

Related:
Create New Tag

2/1/2011 2:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2011 2:33 PM

What is the cheapest option for carrying your bike on a plane and having the least amount of assembly after?

|

you cannot beat riding street on a nice day with your crew

2/1/2011 2:29 PM

DK golf bag.

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

2/1/2011 2:30 PM

dk golf bag, or a hockey bag. just take the pedals, pegs, front wheel and bars and stem off.

|

I have never used one so am not sure on this but I thought with bike bags you only have to take your wheels, pedals and bars off?

|

i was just wondering this, but i heard that you should take off your bars and front wheel, then put it in a golf bag

|

"The more I learn, the more I realize how dumb I am." -JustRideBMX

2/1/2011 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2011 2:32 PM

nevermind, everybody has a better answer than me haha

|

2/1/2011 2:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2011 2:40 PM

I have a hard case bike bag. Its great for flying since its big enough to hold more stuff than just the bike.

|

2/1/2011 2:47 PM

i go below the plane before the flight and tie my bike to the bottom of the plane. its free

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

2/1/2011 2:54 PM

dk golf bag is the best. im thinking of doing it if i go to queensland or something but aparently i would need to pay more because of the extra weight?

|

2/1/2011 2:58 PM

JarrodBmxWA wrote:

dk golf bag is the best. im thinking of doing it if i go to queensland or something but aparently i would need to pay more because of the extra weight?

a bag cant weigh over 40 pounds, so unless you are riding a mongoose i dont think there should be a problem

|

2/1/2011 3:10 PM

you do pay more and the best bet i use is a hockey bag. Just for saying its a bike they will charge you more but if you say its hockey gear or golf gear then you are charged for the weight, its really dumb how they do it.

I have traveled all over Canada with my bike and just recently started going to the USA. I used to say it was a bike and not even bag it and it was costing me almost 130 extra dollars to travel with it. i got out of BMX and when i got back into it people were telling me about the golf and hockey bag idea, i tried it and the cost was usually around 60 bux. I just booked a trip to Las Vegas and they quoted me 30 - 80 extra dollars for a large bag, (Air Canada), ill post update after the trip.

If your going to bag your bike, you will have to take apart the headset and dissemble the handle bars, stem etc... you can leave the tires in so all your really assembling is the headset.. wrap the parts in towel or your going to absolutely destroy the paint on your bike, first trip i did i didn't wrap them and the frame was destroyed with scratches.

I have a travel pack that i specifically keep on hand for all my out of town rides. Ill maybe do a post and explain everything i take. My basic setup is my bike and a backpack weighing proximity 20 - 25 lbs. a trip there and back with bike is typically 550 - 650 (just plane ticket)

Best of luck to you though, the main reason i bike is for the traveling aspect and being able to ride all these cities.

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."

2/1/2011 3:30 PM

just to add, i was asking some similar questions earlier before i booked my trip to Vegas, i think there is a link in that forum to a site that talks a lot about traveling with your bike.

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Traveling-with-bike,1224002

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."

2/1/2011 3:32 PM

Dannykobra wrote:

you do pay more and the best bet i use is a hockey bag. Just for saying its a bike they will charge you more but if you say its hockey gear or golf gear then you are charged for the weight, its really dumb how they do it.

I have traveled all over Canada with my bike and just recently started going to the USA. I used to say it was a bike and not even bag it and it was costing me almost 130 extra dollars to travel with it. i got out of BMX and when i got back into it people were telling me about the golf and hockey bag idea, i tried it and the cost was usually around 60 bux. I just booked a trip to Las Vegas and they quoted me 30 - 80 extra dollars for a large bag, (Air Canada), ill post update after the trip.

If your going to bag your bike, you will have to take apart the headset and dissemble the handle bars, stem etc... you can leave the tires in so all your really assembling is the headset.. wrap the parts in towel or your going to absolutely destroy the paint on your bike, first trip i did i didn't wrap them and the frame was destroyed with scratches.

I have a travel pack that i specifically keep on hand for all my out of town rides. Ill maybe do a post and explain everything i take. My basic setup is my bike and a backpack weighing proximity 20 - 25 lbs. a trip there and back with bike is typically 550 - 650 (just plane ticket)

Best of luck to you though, the main reason i bike is for the traveling aspect and being able to ride all these cities.

damn. thanks alot man you clearly know alot about traveling with your bike; this is my first time and im hyped. Im going back to my home state Cali and riding with all my boys there because I moved to NC. I assume you take off the fork too?

|

2/1/2011 3:42 PM

i take the stem off of the forks and that's it, i run a gyro so its a simple disconnect there, but it takes me less then 10 minutes to reassemble my bike, i leave pegs and tires alone i don't touch a single thing except the stem and gyro tabs. I recommend storing the hockey bag in a locker at the airport, most places are 2 - 5 dollars a day for a locker, its better then lugging the bag every wear, just don't let any staff watch you put the bike in the bag... lol

no worries friend, have a great time out there

|

2/1/2011 3:44 PM

just be sure to inflate your tires if there pupped super high, supposedly they can pop with all the turbulence or gravity or someshit im not sure if its true but i heard it somewhere. LOLS

|

jarrod

2/1/2011 3:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2011 3:50 PM

airline charges are bullshit, especially for bikes, but you might also consider just mailing it for like 40-50 bucks. the bag charge could be easy 50 bucks and you wouldnt have to buy a nice bag.

i do not suggest this if you travel A LOT or if you need the bike to be there at a certain time. only if you are worried about price

|

BIKE CHECK RIGHT HERE [:

twitter @burkminipup

refs: AndySubrosa8, spikez5, njbmxerdude, hcmike, TCbmx [x2], HenHouseSuprise, ScramHype [x2], Josh_Steinhauser, bstick, jb07, FreddyDapice

2/1/2011 4:05 PM

xXxbeans wrote:

just be sure to inflate your tires if there pupped super high, supposedly they can pop with all the turbulence or gravity or someshit im not sure if its true but i heard it somewhere. LOLS

Actually this is not false. I have had to add air to my tires after the flight on more then one occasion. I carry a pocket pump so its no issue but deflation is something that can happen. Never experienced a full out exploded tire but i could see it.

|

2/1/2011 4:14 PM

Dannykobra wrote:

Actually this is not false. I have had to add air to my tires after the flight on more then one occasion. I carry a pocket pump so its no issue but deflation is something that can happen. Never experienced a full out exploded tire but i could see it.

haha good to know man ;D

|

jarrod

2/1/2011 4:54 PM

Dannykobra wrote:

i take the stem off of the forks and that's it, i run a gyro so its a simple disconnect there, but it takes me less then 10 minutes to reassemble my bike, i leave pegs and tires alone i don't touch a single thing except the stem and gyro tabs. I recommend storing the hockey bag in a locker at the airport, most places are 2 - 5 dollars a day for a locker, its better then lugging the bag every wear, just don't let any staff watch you put the bike in the bag... lol

does a hockey bag serve the same purpose as a golf bag as far as not paying charges for a bike?

|

2/1/2011 5:09 PM

A ) fly southwest if possible they still allow for two bags checked for free and dont have a prob with bikes any time I have flown.

B ) if you dont want to have to buy a bag just for your bike I have found that a "garmet bag" works great for a bike! It is tall and then for like fancy suits and stuff. All I had to do was take of my bars, pedals, pegs and front wheel and it lays perfectly flat in the bag. Wrap it up in some towels and you are set!

A bag like this is what i am speaking of...

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

"The ratio of hours of building and maintaining trails is astronomically skewed in the wrong direction, but the pay off is indescribably worth it."

2/1/2011 5:19 PM

abreezy111 wrote:

A ) fly southwest if possible they still allow for two bags checked for free and dont have a prob with bikes any time I have flown.

B ) if you dont want to have to buy a bag just for your bike I have found that a "garmet bag" works great for a bike! It is tall and then for like fancy suits and stuff. All I had to do was take of my bars, pedals, pegs and front wheel and it lays perfectly flat in the bag. Wrap it up in some towels and you are set!

[LINK TO IMAGE]

aww man abreezy yd u o that now this threads off to the photo/video section sad

|

I ride street. tongue

get amaon gift cards or money sent to your paypal for free! http://www.rebelbucks.com/?ref=yaya2893-0

2/1/2011 5:25 PM

yaya2893 wrote:

aww man abreezy yd u o that now this threads off to the photo/video section sad

hahahaha especially since I posted it =P

for real tho, that bag is practically made for a bike!

|

"The ratio of hours of building and maintaining trails is astronomically skewed in the wrong direction, but the pay off is indescribably worth it."

2/1/2011 5:26 PM

abreezy111 wrote:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

thanks this should get stickied unless somebody has one better or the ride link talking about this

|

2/1/2011 5:34 PM

Dannykobra wrote:

Mage14 wrote:

does a hockey bag serve the same purpose as a golf bag as far as not paying charges for a bike?

Never tried anything other then hockey bag

|

2/1/2011 5:36 PM

I am not sure the cost on them, I happen to just be able to get my hands on mine. I fly with my bike a lot so here is my best tips other than that bag...

1) Def check out southwest, they provide two free bag checks and they dont mind bikes
2) If asked what it is, I I usually say that it is just bike parts (which it is at this point seeing as it is disassembled)
3)wrap your parts/bike up in some towels to protect it and also to avoid metal clanging around and sounding suspicious
4)If checking more than one bag (which I am assuming you will be with your clothes and what not) Put a couple things like ur bars or what not in that bike so it is spread out between two bags some what
5)Keep the bag under 50 pounds
6)be nice when checking your bike! being polite goes a long way! =]

good luck and have a fun trip yo!

where you heading?

|

2/1/2011 5:41 PM

abreezy111 wrote:

I am not sure the cost on them, I happen to just be able to get my hands on mine. I fly with my bike a lot so here is my best tips other than that bag...

1) Def check out southwest, they provide two free bag checks and they dont mind bikes
2) If asked what it is, I I usually say that it is just bike parts (which it is at this point seeing as it is disassembled)
3)wrap your parts/bike up in some towels to protect it and also to avoid metal clanging around and sounding suspicious
4)If checking more than one bag (which I am assuming you will be with your clothes and what not) Put a couple things like ur bars or what not in that bike so it is spread out between two bags some what
5)Keep the bag under 50 pounds
6)be nice when checking your bike! being polite goes a long way! =]

good luck and have a fun trip yo!

where you heading?

Thanks alot man, I'm going to Cali to meet up with all my boys there and get some sunshine and ride my Cali spots that I miss from my hometown. Hopefully get some filming in too I want to make an edit

|

2/1/2011 5:43 PM

sounds dope man.

Have I ridden with you around raleigh yet? haha sorry I am always oblivious lol

|

2/2/2011 2:00 PM

abreezy111 wrote:

sounds dope man.

Have I ridden with you around raleigh yet? haha sorry I am always oblivious lol

lol no you haven't I live in Chapel Hill/ Durham area

|

2/2/2011 2:15 PM

do you go out to cary much?

|

2/2/2011 4:53 PM

abreezy111 wrote:

do you go out to cary much?

I went to sk8 cary one time but I can't drive and with this weather I haven't been biking nearly as much as I would like

|