Tall Bars vs Short Bars

Related:
Create New Tag

10/9/2019 2:04 PM

Haven't seen this topic in a while and figured let's see how people feel in 2019.

Me personally, I'm 5'9, 32 years old & I'm currently riding 10" S&M Fu Bars or 10" Merritt Around the World bars. It makes my back feel amazing. But I do miss the feeling of my Bob Bars and I'm considering getting the Skapegoat bars just to reminisce.

What Size Ya Wit?

View Results

|

10/9/2019 2:05 PM

I'm 6 foot and ride 9 5s

|

10/9/2019 2:11 PM

i'm 5'11 and ride 7.5 bars

|

fack off

10/9/2019 2:13 PM

6'2" on 9.5"s and a 20.75" frame. Makes me stand up straighter, which helps with an old back injury.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/9/2019 2:48 PM

I’m 38, 6’ and use 9.2 bars with a slammed frontload. If I had to change bar height I’d rather go lower than taller

|

10/9/2019 3:13 PM

8x24
Frontload stem

Big bars make me lose so many tricks, especially tailwhip variations.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/9/2019 3:47 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Any back issues? And have you tried bigger sized bars? I'm trying to see if people feel like smaller bars help more with tricks or anything.

|

10/9/2019 3:48 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

6'2" on 9.5"s and a 20.75" frame. Makes me stand up straighter, which helps with an old back injury.

This is honestly why I switched to bigger bars. Back started hurting and felt it was because the bars.

|

10/9/2019 3:50 PM

Four wrote:

8x24
Frontload stem

Big bars make me lose so many tricks, especially tailwhip variations.

See!!! Now The question is is this a real thing or is it in our heads? LOL. I feel like my spins and hops were better with smaller bars but the comfort from the bigger bars is amazing.

|

10/9/2019 4:26 PM

8.25 / 27 wide on my street bike & 9 / 30 wide on my trails bike, I like both for the purpose they serve.

|

Ride everything

10/9/2019 5:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2019 5:30 PM

Six foot. Elevenz on a TwentyTwo. But I’m 57 years old and can do what I please. My back hurt before a lot of you were born.

|

10/9/2019 6:16 PM

Furyus George wrote:

Six foot. Elevenz on a TwentyTwo. But I’m 57 years old and can do what I please. My back hurt before a lot of you were born.

Lol no judging here man. This was just to see if people thought/felt like me where the taller bars are for comfort but the short Bars make the tricks easier.

|

10/9/2019 6:24 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Lol no judging here man. This was just to see if people thought/felt like me where the taller bars are for comfort but the short Bars make the tricks easier.

The trick for me is just getting out and riding. Taller bars are definitely more comfortable. That makes my “trick” much easier.

|

10/9/2019 7:26 PM

Topload with 8.75 or 9s feel awesome

|

Barends are for weenies

10/9/2019 9:14 PM

Low, with an 8.75’’ bar and a slammed top load for 6.1´, of course it’s subjective and the difference from the great height to way to high can be felt with just a single small spacer.

Higher is comfortable to cruise around but my riding instantly goes to shit when I’m too high.

|

10/9/2019 9:36 PM

Tall all day. Also because of an aching back. Been on S&M Perfect 10 bars, Sunday topload, and around 15mm of spacers, with gyro plate. It's a freakish setup with my 19.69" frame, but it's the best feeling thing to ride for me.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

10/10/2019 4:21 AM

You guys tried Jeff Cavaliere's fix for back pain? It worked for me

|

10/10/2019 5:21 AM

5'-9", 32 yo. Rolling with 9" bars in a kink high-rise stem. Suits me well, so much better than the days of low-rise bars (back pain!!).

|

Streetbikes and Bicycles

10/10/2019 5:22 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

Any back issues? And have you tried bigger sized bars? I'm trying to see if people feel like smaller bars help more with tricks or anything.

No issues. I’ve ridden huge bars before, smaller bars are just more comfortable for my style of riding.

|

fack off

10/10/2019 6:35 AM

Interesting, im 5’9” 32 years old, i ride eclat chocolate bars 9” ride with an eclat onxy stem and about 20 mm of spacer feels pretty good

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

10/10/2019 9:15 AM

People always mention back pain with small bars. I could chuck my 8.5’s on and ride pretty comfortably if I wanted. with tall bars (any taller than I’ve got now) I get more lower back pain from needing to fight the bike for balance more. It’s the same reason I can’t ride a frame with 13.2 or shorter chainstays. It’s too easy to pull up, and harder to hold balance.

|

10/10/2019 10:35 AM

.pegless. wrote:

People always mention back pain with small bars. I could chuck my 8.5’s on and ride pretty comfortably if I wanted. with tall bars (any taller than I’ve got now) I get more lower back pain from needing to fight the bike for balance more. It’s the same reason I can’t ride a frame with 13.2 or shorter chainstays. It’s too easy to pull up, and harder to hold balance.

yea that whole "big bars saved my back" thing people say is total bullshit. Bikes are not balanced very well anymore in my opinion.

|

fack off

10/10/2019 10:55 AM

WiteMic wrote:

See!!! Now The question is is this a real thing or is it in our heads? LOL. I feel like my spins and hops were better with smaller bars but the comfort from the bigger bars is amazing.

I can definitely notice a difference. My riding becomes so much worse with tall bars. I don’t think any of my tricks actually benefit from a taller rise. So really all it does is make cruising more comfortable

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/10/2019 11:08 AM

5'10" - 9.0 Cult Cuatros (really love the upsweep and back sweep on these) 22mm rise top load with a 48mm reach, 15mm of spacers on a 20.75 frame...

Tried running a 9.6 for the hell of it a d it felt so off I gave up after a day and went back to the 9s...

|

10/10/2019 12:02 PM

.pegless. wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

yea that whole "big bars saved my back" thing people say is total bullshit. Bikes are not balanced very well anymore in my opinion.

It might help people who suffer with back issues. But I don’t think small bars cause back issues. I doubt I could comfortably ride 8” or less like back in the day. But in my prime I could hop a lot higher, with 8” bars and a frontload on a bike that weighed about 30lbs
Most bikes handle like scooters these days. Personally I feel like they’ll throw me off from the slightest movement

|

10/10/2019 12:27 PM

.pegless. wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

It might help people who suffer with back issues. But I don’t think small bars cause back issues. I doubt I could comfortably ride 8” or less like back in the day. But in my prime I could hop a lot higher, with 8” bars and a frontload on a bike that weighed about 30lbs
Most bikes handle like scooters these days. Personally I feel like they’ll throw me off from the slightest movement

Get a bike with a really laid back head tube

|

Barends are for weenies

10/10/2019 12:48 PM

.pegless. wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

I don't think it's a saved thing. I think it's a comfort thing. There's less of an arch in your back with taller bars. But it could just be a Placebo effect. I might just get the Skapegoat bob bars when they drop and see how that feels.

And I'll never say smaller bars did me. I was a backyard wrestler, dated big girls, had a stripper ex who stomped on my back when i was sleep with those big ass stripper heels. My back pain is from multiple things.

|

10/10/2019 1:17 PM

I have ridden 8.5" with a TL stem and 11.5" BB height. Then I got a new fram with 11.7" BB height and a slightly longer TT and man, those bars feel so small and uncomfortable! I've almost died twice doing tuck no handers (one of my go-to tricks) because I feel like the bars are further down, and hard to get to stay in my lap. Aside from that, with the taller BB I feel like I an hunched over super bad.

Because of that I have some 9" bars on the way, and I hope that'll bring things back into a comfortable height for me.

What Four was saying about tailwhips is true, the taller the bars (and wider), the harder tailwhips are, but I didn't realize that the smaller the bars, the harder tucks are. Once I get my new bars hopefully my tucks feel better, and my tailwhips don't disappear XD

|

10/10/2019 1:26 PM

.pegless. wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

Which is why a longer toptube is way better than bigger bars,
it keeps a "balanced geometry" while getting the back less curved but still over the bike instead of a more upright position which fuck up everything and make any bike feel like a scooter.

|

10/10/2019 7:37 PM

6'3" with 9.5" bars, TL stem and 172mm steerer tube fork.

My problem with small bars is that they point my head too far down. I have to tilt my head all the way back just to look forward and that kills the back of my neck/ upper back. If it wasn't for that I could probably run sub 9" bars, because I never really experienced lower back pain with smaller bars.

|