Tall bars are spoiling me...

Related:
Create New Tag

11/6/2017 9:58 PM

I have a top load stem and perfect 10's on my mongoose build as some of you may know. I have been riding it more than my main as of recent, because its a bit more cruise-friendly since Im not doing any tricks besides the occasional hurt foot emergency bunny hop to avoid a 2x4 in the path.

I went to a dirt park about a week ago for the first time and I brought my Mongoose, it ran great! The longer wheelbase, slacker headtube, slacker fork offset, bigger tires, wider bars, lower center of gravity, heavier weight etc., felt super stable. I ended up taking my wife and son to that same park yesterday and I had to let my wife ride the mongoose because my main bmx is a bit too light and twitchy for her to safely ride. The steeper headtube and steeper fork offset really makes the bike feel less stable, not unmanageable but noticeable.

After the day was almost over I did a run on the mongoose and the taller bars just felt so much better.

Im no giant, only 5'11" or so but the tall bars seem to make sense to my body. I have been feeling a bit disappointed in my main since yesterday and decided it needed a change. I flipped my colony front load and the difference is very noticeable. Tried some small lame hurtfooted hops and I felt like I had even more leverage. Made hops easier, probably gonna loop out more for a little while once I get back to the tricks but it feels great. I dont think Ill go as far as to switch my front load out to the top load but it could very well happen. wink lol

The Colony stem is hollowed out on the bottom and It kinda looks cool. Maybe Ill find something that fits perfectly in that little hole.

Ill upload some pics later, maybe a before and after from similar angles.

I dont feel shorter bars are obsolete as everything is personal preference but I dont see myself going any smaller than the 9.5" bars I have on my main...

|

11/6/2017 11:18 PM

Awesome I feel the same... How much does the colony stem wiegh? Also what's the mm? I need to stick to 8.75 and above, I'm running haro knee savers on a make death hand stem 50 mm, 7.8 oz and its a deadly combo.. Knee savers are 8.75 and I have a set of almost new united mothership 8.75 on back up.

|

11/7/2017 5:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2017 5:07 AM

I've been running those 10's on both my bikes with top load stems. Both are noticeably more user friendly on hops,etc... (comparatively to the 8.75's on the one & DEFINITELY better than the 7's on the other) but I have been toying with trying out a front load stem with the tens to see if there's a better overall setup (the 10's & a top load could be too much). I have a front load so I'll be doing a little experimenting.

|

11/7/2017 6:25 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Awesome I feel the same... How much does the colony stem wiegh? Also what's the mm? I need to stick to 8.75 and above, I'm ...more

8.7 oz, 52mm reach.

Not sure how much rise it has when flipped...it feels like about an inch.

|

11/7/2017 6:40 AM

Yes I love my 10" FuBars... tall bars are awesome!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/7/2017 7:01 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I've been running those 10's on both my bikes with top load stems. Both are noticeably more user friendly on hops,etc... ...more

Im glad I flipped mine, it looks a bit weird but honestly it doesnt bother me.

Before
Photo
After
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

11/7/2017 8:39 AM

What would you say the difference is between the top load v. front load v. front load flipped size-size (like, how much of a height difference between the three setups with the same 10" bars)?

|

11/7/2017 10:11 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

What would you say the difference is between the top load v. front load v. front load flipped size-size (like, how much of a ...more

Just my two cents on this.

I also run 10” bars. I originally began with frontload, then topload, but then my topload broke, so I moved back to my frontload but decided to flip it in hopes it’d feel like a topload, but I was wrong. When I was on the frontload flipped, for me it felt exactly the same as a right side up frontload. When I got a new topload, it felt way taller and better, just how it used to be before.

I think it only makes sense, though. When viewing the two stems from the side, flipping a frontload doesn’t do a whole lot compared to a topload. But hey, everyone’s different. Just how I found it. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/7/2017 10:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2017 12:42 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

What would you say the difference is between the top load v. front load v. front load flipped size-size (like, how much of a ...more

The front loads Ive owned that I have flipped, feel somewhere in between an average top load and a front load in its normal position, some front loads are designed differently though...but generally you will feel a bit of rise and generally its worth it if you are looking to maximize height without purchasing a top load.

|

11/7/2017 10:51 AM

The average front load has a 7mm rise. The stack height is usually 31mm, so flipped it'll give you 24mm rise. The average rise of a topload is anywhere between 27mm and over 31mm

|

11/7/2017 10:51 AM

I have both stems so it isn't a point of having to buy anything. I was just wondering if a front load might offer an "in between" sort of thing if a top load was too tall & a front load was too low. I could just try it but then I'd have to do something. LOL! Thanx for all your input guys.

|

11/7/2017 10:41 PM

Well, you can get stems of all kinds of rise. The fly central has 14mm and is designed to look like an upside-down topload, or if you run it the other way it has 19mm. And the relic elect stem has a 22mm rise, or 9mm if you run it upside down. The animal inverse stem is the same. I used to have an fbm pma topload that had 31mm rise, which was 0 rise when upside-down.

I've personally found my sweet spot with a frontload and 8.8" bars, with 7mm of stack on my headset. Although, headtube length varies slightly between frames too. So, on an older frame I'd need another 5mm of stack to achieve the same height (although my steerer would stay the same length)

|

11/8/2017 4:45 AM

I used to run 10" fubars and a sunday freeze top load stem, I'm about 6ft and always ran the tall setup to keep my back from getting sore from riding all day, recently I dropped to 9.5" rise bars with the same stem and actually like it more, I felt like i got more pop and a little more control overall because of the smaller bars, But i also wouldn't go below 9.5's.
10's and a top load is a really nice setup I just can't stand it to ride street as often as i do. Just run a taller setup for awhile and see how you like it, might be the best choice you ever made

|