Tall, but narrow bars...

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2018 7:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2018 7:31 PM

So, basically what I'm looking for is some tall (8.8" to 9.5") but narrow bars...

I like to ride with my hands 17-18 inches apart, so before I ran brakes, that would be right near the bends of the bars like so,

Photo

Now that I'm running brakes I like to keep 1 finger on the lever at all times, so I'm being forced to move my hand positioning put outwards more, where the red circles are,

Photo

So I'm looking for bars where the bends are closer together. To where I can place my hands 17-18 inches apart (about shoulder width, I'm tall and skinny lol) and still be able to keep my hands 17-18 inches apart and be able to have 1 finger on the lever...

So I would like my hands to be where the red circles are, and my lever clamp to be right where the yellow line is...

Photo

So I was looking at the Odyssey Lumber Jack XL bars, but I'm not sure if the bends on those bars are any narrower than the bends on my current Odyssey Highway bars are...

If this makes sense to any of y'all, and could possibly measure your bars to see what'll work for me, that'd be great!

Thanks guys!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/25/2018 7:44 PM

Atypical backsweep but otherwise what you’re looking for.

s&m intrikat bars

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

7/25/2018 7:46 PM

ambisketcherous wrote:

s&m intrikat bars

I know... I was looking at those.... I feel like they're kinda my only option... just dont know about 6° backsweep lol

|

7/25/2018 8:03 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I know... I was looking at those.... I feel like they're kinda my only option... just dont know about 6 backsweep lol

If you got used to holding your bars further apart I bet you could get used to the backsweep

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

7/25/2018 8:03 PM

I was just looking around, what do y'all think of the Bone Deth Deadman bars? They look pretty narrow and they come in 9"...

|

7/25/2018 8:12 PM

ambisketcherous wrote:

s&m intrikat bars

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I know... I was looking at those.... I feel like they're kinda my only option... just dont know about 6 backsweep lol

ambisketcherous wrote:

If you got used to holding your bars further apart I bet you could get used to the backsweep

Yeah... I used to ride with my hands at the end of 28" wide bars. But now I like holding inward more, I feel like I get more pop and higher hops with my hands closer together...

|

7/25/2018 9:55 PM

ambisketcherous wrote:

s&m intrikat bars

Atypical? I personally love the near lack of backsweep of those bars. I run them and I can do better with those than I can with typical 12 degree bars. It’s still not really atypical though, they’re flatland bars so they need a very low backsweep angle.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

7/26/2018 12:35 AM

ambisketcherous wrote:

s&m intrikat bars

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I'm with you on that, I tried Intrikat 8.5's before and they are nice bars. I'd honestly say get them

But there are the Stranger Zia Bars
9.75 Tall
27 Wide (Factory)
10 inch wide crossbar
11 backsweep
2 upsweep

9.5" Intrikat Bars
28 wide
6 back
3 up
10 inch wide again

9" Intrikat Bars
27 wide
6 back
3 up
9.75 wide crossbar though

the highway bars are 11 wide on the crossbar, i'd say the lumberjack xl's are either same or barely any shorter.

I'd honestly say 9 inch intrikats are your golden ticket for deduction in width, the 9 bars get you 1.25 inches less, but if you were willing to sacrifice the 9.5's should be good too. a quarter inch is a hair over 3mm wider each end so it's still extremely minimal on difference with that little quarter of an inch.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

7/26/2018 12:48 AM

Just adjust your hands so they're not close , dont be a goof and pull a Mike Spinner 22" bars please

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/26/2018 12:57 AM

Try that lever that people used to run on the bend Bach when bars just had enough room for grips.
I think it's called dirty Harry lever.

|

Hmmm

7/26/2018 2:05 AM

Most bars have almost the same length at the crossbar.

You want a bar that has a small crossbar, but I don't know many...

Your best bet is to move the lever as close to the bent as possible, cut your bars and then cut your grips so that they fit - or get some 140mm grips like the shadow chula.

But looking at the pics...it is kinda extreme smile)

|

7/26/2018 2:38 AM

Scooter bars?

But seriously, they'll look goofy af. The dj tech 77 has a bent blade, as does the dirty harry as mentioned by Edman. Run the lever on the bend, job done

|

7/26/2018 7:14 AM

Thanks for the input guys... I'll just leave the Highways on and try to get used to holding wider...

|

7/26/2018 8:12 AM

Hoffman Low Drag? Bob Bars?

|

7/26/2018 8:24 AM

|

It’s all bmx

7/26/2018 8:59 AM

If you want something narrower try the eclat chocolate bars. It's a 9 inch rise with 27.75 inch width out of the box. The geometry seems pretty neutral too (I think a 1.5 up with a 11 back but I'm not 100% sure)

|

7/26/2018 10:22 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Scooter bars?

But seriously, they'll look goofy af. The dj tech 77 has a bent blade, as does the dirty harry as mentioned by ...more

The kid that rides a 20" with scooter bars around NYC gets made fun of relentlessly.

Don't do this. laughing

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/27/2018 5:58 PM

jiminyu wrote:

If you want something narrower try the eclat chocolate bars. It's a 9 inch rise with 27.75 inch width out of the box. The ...more

This I have a pair and they are pretty slim. I also have a set of the autumn juice bars lol

|

brakeless maniac

7/27/2018 6:01 PM

Photo
|

brakeless maniac