Tall guy struggling to enjoy bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

7/9/2020 10:32 AM

Hi, carrotkop here, I'm a 6,4 beginner bmxer and I'm struggling to enjoy bmx. My riding position is uncomfortable and I constantly have back pain and my riding position seems very different than my shorter friends and I'm wondering if it hindering my learning. Recently the pains have been so bad I havent been able to ride. I come from a mtb background and the position is completely different so I'm wondering if that has something to do with the pain. I need advice and help to maybe stop the pain And learn to enjoy bmx riding as much as I do mtb. My bmx is a fit homan with 9,25 bars. I'll appreciate any help thanks.

|

7/9/2020 10:51 AM

Bar height doesn’t matter that much, you need a big frame around 21.5”
The position will never be the same as an mtb tho
At 6’1 my favorite size is 21.25”

|

7/9/2020 10:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2020 10:54 AM

how far forward are your bars and how long is your top tube because both have a pretty big impact on your posture

|

smile

7/9/2020 10:53 AM

New position is going to for sure make your muscles hurt. Don't forget to stretch / yoga often..

what is the top tube length of your frame? longer is better for most..

I had a friend who was 6"7' and rode 20 inch just fine.

Just keep at it. stretch. drink water. and think about a longer top tube frame if you want to..

taller bars can help but I find a longer frame works wonders..

|

7/9/2020 11:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2020 11:15 AM

Where are you having the back pain? Upper (like back of the neck and slightly below), or lower?

I'm an inch shorter than you and it had taken me getting a 21.5" TT frame, 172mm steerer tube fork, 30mm rise stem, max spacers (low profile dust cover + single 10mm) and finally 9.5" bars, so that I could ride around for hours at a time without any back pain (upper in my case).

With that said, lots of tall people on this site have reported no issues on much smaller set-ups, so it's really a personal preference kind of thing.

|

7/9/2020 12:14 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the help so far. I own a fit homan and havent made any changes to the specs yet. So the bike has a pair of 9.25inch bars. the frame is a 21 top tube. To be honest I dont have the money for a new frame so any other ideas?

|

7/9/2020 12:31 PM

keep getting used to it. stretch.. and know bmx will never feel like a mtb..

give taller bars a go..? cheaper than a frame and you should be able to sell them if you don't like 'em.

|

7/9/2020 12:44 PM

carrotkop wrote:

Hey guys thanks for all the help so far. I own a fit homan and havent made any changes to the specs yet. So the bike has a pair of 9.25inch bars. the frame is a 21 top tube. To be honest I dont have the money for a new frame so any other ideas?

I'm guessing you have the 2019 Fit Homan complete, correct?

If so, I'd definitely go for 10" bars. I'm sure I'll get down voted for saying that, but for someone in your situation 10" bars would probably make a world of difference.

That's what I did when I figured out 9's didn't work for me and then years later I found out that 9.5's were the sweet spot. Since you don't have the option of buying multiple bars 10's would be the best place to start.

|

7/9/2020 4:11 PM

I got you... I make em longer. Photo

|

7/9/2020 9:36 PM

carrotkop wrote:

Try pivoting your bars forward from your stem and tell us how it feels

|

smile

7/10/2020 3:14 AM

I am 6'3 and just recently bought Stereo Speaker Plus and it's 20" and have zero issues, where do you get pain and what positions are painful? Yes I am not as tall as you but close

|

7/10/2020 4:48 AM

I find that I'm really hunched and that causes lots of back pain in the lower part of my back. I'm probably going to try to for 10 bars and tilting my bars forward a bit. Right now I run my bars to my fork. Are there disadvantages of tilting the bars forward a bit.

|

7/10/2020 5:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2020 5:17 AM

carrotkop wrote:

I find that I'm really hunched and that causes lots of back pain in the lower part of my back. I'm probably going to try to for 10 bars and tilting my bars forward a bit. Right now I run my bars to my fork. Are there disadvantages of tilting the bars forward a bit.

The normal (these days) is usually anywhere from in-line with the forks to 90° from the ground.

Anything forward of 90° from the ground is what's referred to as "Chicago" and is extremely biased towards loved, or hated. Hated for how it looks and loved, because some riders just like the way it feels.

Moving your bars is free, so it's worth trying different positions.

|

7/10/2020 7:51 AM

I'm about your height and shared your problems. I went up to a 21,25" frame and 10" bars about a year ago and that changed everything for me and never had any pain from riding since!

And like someone else already mentioned, yoga and stretching will help soooo much in the long run!

|

7/10/2020 8:10 AM

Cool I'll definitely give 10 bars a try and when I can afford it a longer frame

|

7/10/2020 9:32 AM

I think taller bars will help. But guys your size usually do longer top tubes too. Mine is almost 21" and I'm only 5'7-3/4" LOL. I personally like taller bars. I rode 10"ers for a while but then went back down to 8.9"ers and got used to them. But I never had back pain, it just felt awkward to me. And then I adjusted. I still think about 9.25 would be ideal. Or really what I want to try is a front load stem with like 9.75" bars. I have top load now. That's another thing you can try if yours is a front load. Either swap it upside down or get a topload stem. I don't know anything about that model fit.....

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/10/2020 12:49 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

I think taller bars will help. But guys your size usually do longer top tubes too. Mine is almost 21" and I'm only 5'7-3/4" LOL. I personally like taller bars. I rode 10"ers for a while but then went back down to 8.9"ers and got used to them. But I never had back pain, it just felt awkward to me. And then I adjusted. I still think about 9.25 would be ideal. Or really what I want to try is a front load stem with like 9.75" bars. I have top load now. That's another thing you can try if yours is a front load. Either swap it upside down or get a topload stem. I don't know anything about that model fit.....

The fit homan comes with a top load and 9.25 bars so 10inches and top load stem should hopefully solve my problem for now

|

7/10/2020 2:42 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Where are you having the back pain? Upper (like back of the neck and slightly below), or lower?

I'm an inch shorter than you and it had taken me getting a 21.5" TT frame, 172mm steerer tube fork, 30mm rise stem, max spacers (low profile dust cover + single 10mm) and finally 9.5" bars, so that I could ride around for hours at a time without any back pain (upper in my case).

With that said, lots of tall people on this site have reported no issues on much smaller set-ups, so it's really a personal preference kind of thing.

Do you know the stack height of the Odyssey headset cap by itself?

|

7/10/2020 5:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2020 5:22 PM

rob3 wrote:

Do you know the stack height of the Odyssey headset cap by itself?

If you're talking about the low profile one from the "Pro" and not the "Pro Conical" it's 4mm.

|

7/10/2020 5:46 PM

Thanks!

|

7/13/2020 5:53 AM

carrotkop wrote:

Cool I'll definitely give 10 bars a try and when I can afford it a longer frame

Buy a Sunday freeze stem topload and the Verde Regent Bars. Probably will cost you about $50.00 but that would help.

|

Husky Nation Member

7/13/2020 6:21 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

Buy a Sunday freeze stem topload and the Verde Regent Bars. Probably will cost you about $50.00 but that would help.

OP, didn't confirm, but based off the specs he has a 2019 Fit Homan complete.

That bike already comes with a Fit High-Top stem (32mm stack height/ 35mm rise) which is the same combined stack height/ rise as the Sunday Freeze stem (33mm stack height/ 34mm rise).

So, no gains would be made with the Freeze stem.

|

7/13/2020 7:37 AM

Hopefully he didn't do a half gainer over his bars and is not able to post now. LOL. Just kidding. I don't even know what half gainer means but I think it's some kind of gymnastics term and is used to describe someone flying through the air, I think....

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/13/2020 7:46 AM

Francky wrote:

Bar height doesn’t matter that much, you need a big frame around 21.5”
The position will never be the same as an mtb tho
At 6’1 my favorite size is 21.25”

Put 7 inch bars on your bike and ride it for a week and tell me that.

Bar height directly correlates with body position, which directly contributes to comfort and pain/or a lack of pain.

Frame size also comes into play.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/13/2020 8:27 AM

I'm still here I'm just trying to get some money toghether to buy some 10 inch bars

|

7/14/2020 7:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/14/2020 7:32 AM

ZAF..... ZAF...... That's a new one on me. I was gonna say there is a place that sells used stuff, I think it' powers bike shop. But the shipping probably wouldn't help you. But I'm not sure what country you're in. ZAF?

Sometimes I see deals on Facebook but not sure if you have that there and the bars I've seen used are not typically as tall as 10"ers.

Someone on here might be selling some. Did you peruse the used stuff on here?

|