Technical Street vs Flatland riding

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2014 1:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2014 1:58 PM

I was watching a video last week with some friends when someone commented on how some of the clips in the video were essentially flatland moves....

This got me thinking... With the direction riding has been heading the past few years, things are just getting more and more technical. With the nose-manual prowess that some people possess, it's not uncommon for someone like Stevie Churchill to have a link in their edit that could be considered flatland (some of Stevie's nose manual to 360 G-turn stuff is what immediately comes to mind). The dividing lines are beginning to shrink more and more.

The "bitch-crank" is something that used to be more frowned upon, but it seems like now it's pretty much fully acceptable (out of manual-180's, or manual to bars, before hitting a rail out of a manual, etc.) With the astonishing rate of technical progression, it feels like less and less people care about style, or how something looks, so long as it gets done/landed. Maybe as technical standards rise, the standards of how clean something is pulled diminish??

I love technical street riding, but I hope it doesn't completely replace the other side of BMX... The big and burly, fast and dangerous side of riding... Because who doesn't love to see that?
Thoughts???

|

1/20/2014 2:02 PM

Tech riding have grow yeah. I my opinion thats good, cause theres more viarity. For my its style over tricks

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/20/2014 2:11 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love watching tech street riding as much as the next guy. I'd much rather watch something that's done well though, and a lot lot that I can find in simpler riding.

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

1/20/2014 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2014 5:37 PM

Big & burly won't ever die, there will always be riders into that sort of thing.

360 gturns & nose manuals are the only flatland tricks I ever like watching....I can't stand other things like whiplashes, hang 5s & 10s they belong in flatland not in the streets.

If you look at what Garrett Reynolds was doing in his deadline part tho that to me is burly tech riding, and where I see real street riding heading in the future, his part really is way ahead of its time, bmx street has some catching up to do.

Style tho is immortal and will always be a part of what we do.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

1/20/2014 2:42 PM

I prefer style, but I have an appreciation well-executed tech riding.

|

1/20/2014 2:51 PM

Ill take Rob Ridge/ Matt Wilhelm over Reynolds/Kerley any day.

|

1/20/2014 2:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2014 2:53 PM

i don't like watching tech riding. i'm thankful we still got riders doin their own thing, like drew hosselton. his new edit today...Damn!

and of course, zach k has always been awesome.

|

This week's Sweet Shoutout goes to: biggybuggy!

1/20/2014 3:17 PM

Simple street is my favourite. There's no need for it to get complicated... Sometimes things are used to stretch out lines, but sometimes they slow it down and i'd rather just see them riding that bit instead of trying something on flat.

|

1/20/2014 4:24 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Ill take Rob Ridge/ Matt Wilhelm over Reynolds/Kerley any day.

This......I've noticed an abundance of street lately I think it's about time for a full dirt DVD to come out

|

1/20/2014 5:33 PM

Streetland is Arising!!! I've been riding Flatland for a number of Years & Slowly Integrated them into Street Riding!

I met Viki Gomez at the Birmingham NEC Bike Show, Donkeys Years ago & pretty much straight after that I purchased a Flatland Bike! I Rode Flatland with a few guys in my town for a couple of years before We moved to a spot with a couple of banks & ledges & I did swapsies (LoL) with a Street Rider & We rode each others Bikes for about half hour & I got hooked on Street! Then I Sold The Flatland Bike...

I moved into Street Riding, Enjoyed it A LOT! I rode Street for a number of Years, Even made a little video with some of My friends! I have it on VHS somewhere haha! Then one day We were messing around on the Dirt Jumps/Race Track & the Council had put in a Skate Park next to it. Back in those Days BMX was BMX We rode EVERYTHING There was No segregation & Our Bikes were set up for pretty much everything! Well I started to Ride the Skate Park a lot more. No Harassment about spots, Loads of People used it etc. Well Then I had My MAHUSSIVE Crash "The Crash" & Slowly had to slow down with the Riding because of the Pain etc.

I moved to another town & there really isn't a lot to Ride! I got another Flatland Bike, but I couldn't ride like I used to so within a Year I'd sold it & bought another Street Bike! Well My Shoulder Progressively got worse, Riding slowed down to literally bare minimum, literally just Riding the thing was hard!

Well a few Years back I saw Riders like Bengo, Benny L, Even Matthias Dandois doing SUPER Tech/Flatland Tricks in Street Scenery which REALLY caught My Eye! I did really try to Ride but things got bad, REAL Bad! Well I had the CRPS Diagnosis last Year, This Year I'm getting A LOT of Rehab on My shoulder & I hope by Summer I will be able to REALLY Push My Riding to get back in the game! Ride My WTP Utopia which will be finished in June! Then I shall work on another "Bigger" Bike for more "Standard" Street Riding, But I will ALWAYS, ALWAYS Be a Streetland Rider!

STREETLAND FTW!!!

|

1/20/2014 7:16 PM

Also, check out metals dead bang, little devil criminal michief and animals can i eat.

|

1/21/2014 11:46 AM

They way I see it is that it is FREESTYLE, meaning, do whatever you want.

To those saying this trick or that trick belong in a different aspect, you are ignoring the core of it all. FREESTYLE.

If you don't like it, that's fine. That's the beauty of our sport. You can do whatever you want with it.

I have noticed a lot more "smaller tricks" linked up to stupidly-hard lines. A bar to manual used to be all you would see on a deck, now it is bar to manual to tuck to bar out etc.

Tricks into footjams were one handers, crankflips, even bars were rare until like 2007. Now you have guys doing 360 whip to bar to footjam to bar out.

Street lines used to be feeble this ledge, ice that rail. Now it is 180 bar to backwards smith to pivot to manual to 180 bar out, 180 backwards ice the rail to fakie to half cab whip out.

Things have gotten more advanced, but it looks a lot like "Cram as many tricks as you can into one line" in a lot of the web edits. It makes me wonder how many of the lines are accidental or if they could even do it a second time.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2014 12:23 PM

Totally agree with that last thing dave said, I've read interviews with riders where they say that filming for a edit gives them the opportunity to try to film things above their current capabilities, so I think he's right that some of those lines must take hours if not days, maybe months to get on film and most are probably one offs and not likely to be repeated.

Most web edits don't generally show what everyday riding looks like, that's why I like animal videos because for the most part they do.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

1/21/2014 12:42 PM

Flatland-ish street is old but back and refreshing.

--Flip

|

1/21/2014 12:57 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Also, check out metals dead bang, little devil criminal michief and animals can i eat.

3 of my favorites, could watch those All Day lolol.

|

1/21/2014 1:07 PM

I watched the team soil video the other day......things have changed allot since the old days....allot of tricks in that video I don't even seen get done these days.....even though it is a dirt video

|

1/21/2014 1:09 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

They way I see it is that it is FREESTYLE, meaning, do whatever you want.

To those saying this trick or that trick belong in a different aspect, you are ignoring the core of it all. FREESTYLE.

If you don't like it, that's fine. That's the beauty of our sport. You can do whatever you want with it.

I have noticed a lot more "smaller tricks" linked up to stupidly-hard lines. A bar to manual used to be all you would see on a deck, now it is bar to manual to tuck to bar out etc.

Tricks into footjams were one handers, crankflips, even bars were rare until like 2007. Now you have guys doing 360 whip to bar to footjam to bar out.

Street lines used to be feeble this ledge, ice that rail. Now it is 180 bar to backwards smith to pivot to manual to 180 bar out, 180 backwards ice the rail to fakie to half cab whip out.

Things have gotten more advanced, but it looks a lot like "Cram as many tricks as you can into one line" in a lot of the web edits. It makes me wonder how many of the lines are accidental or if they could even do it a second time.

Exactly, I do my own thing when I ride. I don't do the "in tricks" really, I can, but my favorite ones are lesser done tricks like x-ups, 180 x-ups, crankflips, stuff like those, because that's how I ride. Some people I know complain that they're gay tricks (and funnier, can't do them) but that's just my style, I love little tricks like that & learning variations of those tricks, making it my own. aka freestyle, make it your own, ride how you want, and enjoy it.

I definitely agree with you on the last 2 lines. I LOVE watching just "raw street" like a line that would be like grind a ledge, land in manual, manual to handrail, ice pick, or something. I get bored trying to follow insane combo trick-lines & don't really like it as much as the "raw street" personally. I'll still watch some of it, but it's not my favorite.

Insane for sure though, but I'd much rather watch an edit full of stuff like grinds to manual, back to grinds, spin or barspin out, then like whip a big stairset. not like some edits where you'll see the same spot, and they'll do like 360 to smith to 180 out, half cab fakie to hop up manual on the ledge, then 180 bar out of that, half cab whip, then bar to manual up to the stairset & double peg the rail, 180 half cab whip or bar out. It's just like "let's see how many barspins & spin trick combos I can do all at once!"

|

1/21/2014 1:12 PM

"I think a big flowing 360 should be worth more than a quad back flip"-Brian Foster, Truer words have never been spoken. After watching Roll Call and seeing a hour of nose manuals and only 30 seconds of Van Homan I realized how boring bmx has gotten for me (spectating that is). When I know exactly what trick some rider is going to do just by looking at the spot their at I was over it. Trails and motowhips vs 300 ft nose manuals to bars any day. Just my old guy opinions

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

1/21/2014 1:18 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

"I think a big flowing 360 should be worth more than a quad back flip"-Brian Foster, Truer words have never been spoken. After watching Roll Call and seeing a hour of nose manuals and only 30 seconds of Van Homan I realized how boring bmx has gotten for me (spectating that is). When I know exactly what trick some rider is going to do just by looking at the spot their at I was over it. Trails and motowhips vs 300 ft nose manuals to bars any day. Just my old guy opinions

Wait there's only 30 seconds of Van Homan in roll call? That really sucks.

|

1/21/2014 1:22 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Yea and a hour of nose manuals and 3's down stairs............If I would have known I would have saved the $10

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

1/21/2014 1:26 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

Keep in mind he's also filming for the upcoming Fit DVD as well. Instead of totally kill it for a side sponsor like Danscomp, I'm sure he's saving his best footage for his main sponsor, Fit.

|

1/21/2014 1:29 PM

True but pisses me off they put him on the description like he had some big part.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

1/21/2014 3:39 PM

I love tech street. but 180ing a 10 stair is pretty sick still

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

1/21/2014 3:43 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

True but pisses me off they put him on the description like he had some big part.

Probably to get people to buy it

|

1/21/2014 6:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2014 6:05 PM

I totally agree with people that it's all Freestyle, meaning you're free to have your own style... No Rules! Which is what separates BMX from other mainstream sports/activities. I suppose I'm just commenting on the evolution of BMX and where things might be heading in the future... Pretty damn fascinating.

|