Tennis ball in spokes?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/21/2016 2:48 PM

Does it have any real purpose? I've researched the shit out of it out of curiosity yet no threads and sites give a clear answer. My friend claims its to clean the hubs but idk. Any thoughts?

|

I swear to drunk i'm not god

7/21/2016 2:53 PM

Some folks in my area put a tennis ball on their car antenna. Maybe there is some correlation?

|

7/21/2016 3:07 PM

It's the equivalent of wearing a dick hat to a gay pride parade

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/21/2016 3:28 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

It's the equivalent of wearing a dick hat to a gay pride parade

Actually it's more like wearing stonewashed jeans and a jean jacket to an 80's party.

It's purely cosmetic and came from back in the day.

A pipe cleaner or piece of shoelace loose around a hub cleans it. Tennis balls are wedged in place, and don't move.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/21/2016 3:52 PM

I've seen people claim they keep your spokes tight and make your wheels stay true… but they're fucking idiots and that's not true.

only thing it does is like Dave said, purely cosmetic. But it also adds rotational weight in your wheels though.

|

7/21/2016 10:45 PM

It gives an offset of weight, so you continue rolling further when coasting slowly. That's why all the fashionable riders that go at foot high ledges with no speed use them

|

7/21/2016 10:50 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

It gives an offset of weight, so you continue rolling further when coasting slowly. That's why all the fashionable riders that go at foot high ledges with no speed use them

don't forget for when they do a feeble to hard 90° out moving slower than a slug, the weight helps assist them in pulling the fakie the rest of the way around

|

7/22/2016 12:36 AM

The mass of the ball creates sufficient centrifugal force enabling the wheel to spin better than one without a tennis ball.

JK, it's mostly cosmetic.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/22/2016 6:20 AM

SCIENCE!

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

7/22/2016 10:21 AM

It means you're pro

|

It’s all bmx

7/22/2016 10:33 AM

tension kinda i only throw one in my wheel when my spokes are creaking cuz the sound really throws me off and the ball stops it besides that its mostly codmetic

|

7/22/2016 2:34 PM

A tennis ball in your spokes has 0 affect on the strength of your wheel. Just tension the spokes properly

|

7/22/2016 3:06 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

A tennis ball in your spokes has 0 affect on the strength of your wheel. Just tension the spokes properly

This is what I was about to say to the guy saying he does it to stop the creaking.

Takes all of a minute to add a 1/2 turn to your spokes on each wheel.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/22/2016 4:16 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

This is what I was about to say to the guy saying he does it to stop the creaking.

i just use it till i can get a hold of a spoke wrench from one of my friends and i know the ball doesnt give the wheel any more strength the sound of creaking spokes just bothers me. its not like i ride around with a tennis ball in it for strength even when my spokes are tight thats unnecessary weight

|

7/22/2016 5:44 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

joshcooldude wrote:

i just use it till i can get a hold of a spoke wrench from one of my friends and i know the ball doesnt give the wheel any more strength the sound of creaking spokes just bothers me. its not like i ride around with a tennis ball in it for strength even when my spokes are tight thats unnecessary weight

You should spend like 7 bucks and get a spoke wrench :D

It's a wonderful tool to have and you can tension your spokes while resting during a session!

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/22/2016 6:22 PM

I don't get why it would even be cosmetic...unless it is some kind of inside joke with a group...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

7/23/2016 8:49 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I don't get why it would even be cosmetic...unless it is some kind of inside joke with a group...

Don't try and understand 80's and early 90's just accept it happened.

|

7/25/2016 6:01 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Saw an edit of a guy that had one of those pink flamingo things that people put in their yards in his wheel, I thought it was pretty funny.

Also recently saw some guy with cymbals (from a drum kit) in his front wheel, new type of hub guard I guess lol

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

7/25/2016 9:02 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

Saw an edit of a guy that had one of those pink flamingo things that people put in their yards in his wheel, I thought it was pretty funny.

Also recently saw some guy with cymbals (from a drum kit) in his front wheel, new type of hub guard I guess lol

Yeah. I have seen the cymbals thing before around here too...it was a guy who played drums and thought it would look cool...which it did for like the split second I first saw it. then it was like WTF? Plus every time he landed it would clank all around the spokes and fork and stuff. I wanted to take the whole wheel/cymbal combo and put it on MY drum set...still might do that someday....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

7/25/2016 9:56 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Yeah. I have seen the cymbals thing before around here too...it was a guy who played drums and thought it would look cool...which it did for like the split second I first saw it. then it was like WTF? Plus every time he landed it would clank all around the spokes and fork and stuff. I wanted to take the whole wheel/cymbal combo and put it on MY drum set...still might do that someday....

Multipurpose bmx bike: half bike half drum set

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

7/25/2016 10:35 AM

Mychaylo wrote:

Don't try and understand 80's and early 90's just accept it happened.

Dude...I started riding in 76....I AM the 80's and 90's....and I still don't understand a lot of it....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

7/25/2016 11:09 AM

S&M Cymbal V.2 hub guards! Now with complete coverage of spokes!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn