The 15 pound BMX myth....

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2013 6:59 PM

So my friends keep telling me about this BMX that weighs 15 pounds. I have yet to see it. So many people have told me about this bike but I can't seem to add the math up. I know race bikes are pretty light. They say this bike has thousands of dollars into it. This older guy comes to the skatepark where I ride so I guess one day I will see it. I don't have any parts list or anything.

I've seen lots of people lie about the weight of there bikes. I've never personally lifted a bike that light. Maybe there are bikes that light. I've just never seen one personally.

|

8/8/2013 7:00 PM

Until I see it... I'm calling bullshit

|

8/8/2013 7:06 PM

Bob mead (look him up) got his down to I think 17-18 but he drilled holes alllllll over. Even in his hub shells!!!

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

8/8/2013 7:10 PM

Carbon Redline flight frame is almost 3 lbs on the dot, add a carbon fork and Ti everything and I bet you could get close.

I have seen a freestyle bike barely over 19 lbs with mostly chromoly parts.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/8/2013 7:17 PM

The Eastern Titanium Grim Reaper they built up was SUPER light i think that was around 15-16lbs. I have seen a 14.2lbs Flatland Bike. I rode it, it was HORRIBLE.. I lost it numerous times whilst trying whiplases on it. You have to concentrate on looking forward to keep your balance & because the back end was so light you would loose it & then it would just appear under you. I mean people say heavier bikes tire you out over a longer session. But Super Light Bikes can do the same, you have to expend more energy trying things over & over again! When i built my Flatland Bike i had it at around 17-18lbs & it was much the same just too light. For Flatland around 20-21lbs is prime & i really have no idea about Trails & Park Bikes but for Street i would prefer my bike to be around 24-25lbs. But with todays modern parts you could probably get a bike lighter than that without even trying!

|

8/8/2013 7:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2013 7:20 PM

bikes under 20 pounds are to damn light, if their over 20 then it depends on how the weight is spread out. My friend had a premium duo that was 21.5 pounds and it felt like 28, another friends of mine has a bike that was 24 pound united rn2 and it felt like 19, then I gave him steal pegs and stuff so he'd stop being a weight weenie and he still has a plastic seat.... he says he likes the way it feels, I was like HA GAYYYY

|

Bang Bang bmx

8/8/2013 7:20 PM

Maybe a race bike

|

8/8/2013 7:25 PM

without proof there is no chance i will believe this

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/8/2013 7:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2013 7:27 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

bikes under 20 pounds are to damn light, if their over 20 then it depends on how the weight is spread out. My friend had a premium duo that was 21.5 pounds and it felt like 28, another friends of mine has a bike that was 24 pound united rn2 and it felt like 19, then I gave him steal pegs and stuff so he'd stop being a weight weenie and he still has a plastic seat.... he says he likes the way it feels, I was like HA GAYYYY

FFS!! Vital wont let me post everything!

|

8/8/2013 7:32 PM

My friends who have rode this bike said it was like riding on air. They felt like they were riding a 2yr olds bike. They said jumping out of the bowl felt so odd.

I mean it's not like 2 people told me this... it was like 10-15 people all said the same thing. Apparently, he's like 40yr old and has 2 of these bikes. They said he was counting every ounce of every part and did crazy research.

I have a fish scale in my car that hangs from a tree and weighs up to 30pounds. When I get my hands on this bike I will for sure get all the pictures and get a parts list.

I'm just having a hard time believing it.

|

8/8/2013 7:33 PM

tomdon wrote:

without proof there is no chance i will believe this

Thats what I'm saying

|

8/8/2013 7:37 PM

Haha silly. I would like to ride a 15 pound bike, mainly to see if i could even ride it. I like the way MY bike feels. haha if anyone has a really light wheelset, or something entirely different, it is weird to me. Light stuff is for people with NO muscles lol Im pretty strong so i like a normal weight bike. I have had light bikes, with light tires, and since im stronger, i throw them around really easily. The only time i like lighter stuff is maybe when i ride park! haha 15 pounds is RIDICULOUS!! haha itd be fun to screw around on, and itd take wayy too long to even get used to. anything under 20 pounds is wayy too light, even 20 or 21 is pushing it. It has to be balanced right too.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/8/2013 7:39 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Topsey wrote:

Been screwing up for me to.Not sure what's going on.Lots of really slow page turns to.

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

8/8/2013 7:41 PM

i had a friend who had a PK ripper race bike that weighed like 17, but it was only like a 19'' frame

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/8/2013 7:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2013 7:43 PM

Eastern ti frame
Eastern ti bars
Dk rt forks I had a pair and they weighed about 26 ounces
Tioga poweblocks 1.95
Alienation deviants front and back
Odyssey elementary v3 stem with Ti bolt
Profile cranks with fsa ti spindle
Fly uno seat or a plastic pivotal seat with ti bolt and stolen thermalite post 75mm
a hollow chain
Kink sprocket
Demolition headset
plastic bar ends.
Premium slim plastic pedals
Fit bottom bracket
Dans ultra lite
Deluxe f lite hubs
All ti spokes/bolts
Grips

That's probably the lightest you would get without using race parts and it being a decent bike.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/8/2013 7:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2013 7:50 PM

Check here. Light but still 19.5 lbs. Edit: 19.6. Sorry.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

8/8/2013 7:57 PM

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check

8/8/2013 7:59 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

Check here. Light but still 19.5 lbs. Edit: 19.6. Sorry.

Yea and look at the price. The few details I got was the bike was $4000-$5000 to build. It took him months to build cause he was ordering parts from around the world. They said it was not a race bike. It was a 20 inch BMX.

It's driving me crazy cause I dont believe it. I'm pretty much calling all my friends lairs right to there faces. I thought maybe I was crazy and maybe someone on here has seen one. It just does not make sense how a 200 pound guy can jump on that bike without breaking it.

I swear people... I will get pictures and I will weigh it when I see it. I think one of my friends has this guys number so I will try to set something up to see the bike. I just don't think its possible unless its made out of popsicle sticks.

|

8/8/2013 8:01 PM

Yea thats like a kids bike. This guys bike is a custom 20 inch bmx bike.

|

8/8/2013 8:05 PM

I don't like the feel of light bikes. I like mine at around 25. Idk what mine is now but it was 25 when i bought it stock.

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

8/8/2013 8:14 PM

I think its highly possible.
Titanium anything.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

8/8/2013 8:23 PM

Four wrote:

Eastern ti frame
Eastern ti bars
Dk rt forks I had a pair and they weighed about 26 ounces
Tioga poweblocks 1.95
Alienation deviants front and back
Odyssey elementary v3 stem with Ti bolt
Profile cranks with fsa ti spindle
Fly uno seat or a plastic pivotal seat with ti bolt and stolen thermalite post 75mm
a hollow chain
Kink sprocket
Demolition headset
plastic bar ends.
Premium slim plastic pedals
Fit bottom bracket
Dans ultra lite
Deluxe f lite hubs
All ti spokes/bolts
Grips

That's probably the lightest you would get without using race parts and it being a decent bike.

Wut about the eastern Ti cranks and a Ti spindle? And get one of those carbon fiber seats that would be sick!

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

8/8/2013 8:31 PM

I added up the lightest parts on danscomp (although they fuck shit up all the time/get specs wrong) and with only Ti spokes and spindle, and "street" parts it was 15-17 pounds i think. It had WTP OD bars, the Tree Collet topload, demolition elite forks, premium guttershark frame, profile cranks, and I cant remember the rest but I think i had the list in a google doc

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

8/8/2013 8:33 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

Wut about the eastern Ti cranks and a Ti spindle? And get one of those carbon fiber seats that would be sick!

Yup you're right. Forgot about the cranks haha.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/8/2013 8:39 PM

jj0996 wrote: 15LB bike right here

Laxin wrote:

it only for people who like smaller bikes, it is a 20''

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check

8/8/2013 11:38 PM

jj0996 wrote: 15LB bike right here

Laxin wrote:

jj0996 wrote:

It is 20", but it's definitely a kids bike.

|

8/8/2013 11:40 PM

Laxin wrote:

jj0996 wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

it just has a short frame, im 6'2'' and ill i would do id put a longer stem on it and i could race it

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check

8/9/2013 12:22 AM

Quick trip to Danscomp & remembered the Premium Lowpez frame, made a bike that weighs 15.9lbs and is all chromoly besides the crank spindle, and is still street friendly..

Frame: Premium Lowpez LT, 3lbs, 8oz
Fork: Demolition Elite, 27.8oz
Bars: Skavenger Swift, 23.3
Grips: Any, like 3oz maybe idk?
Barends: none, every ounce matters :D
Stem: Tree Collet TL, 8oz
Headset: Demolition V2, 2oz
Seat/Post: Eclat Complex seat/post combo, 7.7oz
Clamp: Integrated
Cranks: Profile Lite GDH, 25.2oz
BB: Any, like 6oz
Sprocket: Kink Static, 1.7oz
Pedals: Premium Slim pc, 11.2oz
Chain: KMC, about 4oz when broken
Front Wheel: Kink Viridian, 6.8oz, laced to an Alienation Deviant, 10.9oz, with Sapim double butted spokes with alloy nipples, 5.6oz
Back Wheel: Profile Mini 3/8, 12.9oz, laced to an Alienation Felon, 14.7oz, with Sapim double butted spokes with alloy nipples, 5.6oz
Tires: KHE Folding Park, 11oz (x2)
Tubes: Ultra Lite, 3oz (x2)

Now, let's try adding some titanium parts such as the titanium Grim Reaper frame, titanium bars, titanium cranks, & titanium spokes

Frame: 2lbs, 7oz
Bars: 14oz
Cranks: 19oz (with titanium spindle)
Spokes: 4.3oz (per wheel)

saves 2.4lbs, making the new weight 13.5lbs.

And that's not even adding in titanium parts such as driver, axles, bolts, hardware, et c.

Yeah, I was that bored haha.

|

8/9/2013 12:29 AM

jj0996 wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

jj0996 wrote:

it just has a short frame, im 6'2'' and ill i would do id put a longer stem on it and i could race it

It has a very short frame, and very small bars, and all the parts are super light as they aren't supposed to take the weight of a fully grown person.

|

8/9/2013 1:29 AM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Topsey wrote:

bloghogs wrote:

Been screwing up for me to.Not sure what's going on.Lots of really slow page turns to.

FFS?

|

Bang Bang bmx