The Fit Dugan 2018? Brakes?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/5/2017 6:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2017 7:00 PM

Hi, I am very new to BMX and would like to get into it after talking with my friends. I have heard Fit is a good company for low level bikes and I have around 350-450 to spend this upcoming Christmas. I was wondering if the https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/dugan/?color2 is a good beginner bike. I see it is full chromoly and lots of people suggest that. I plan on riding a LOT.

If so, is it possible to mount brakes on it? I want to ride it around along with doing tricks, so I want brakes. For brake mounting it says Thread-on 990... does this mean it has the mount for 990 brakes? I found these https://www.sandmbikes.com/product/hardgoods/thread-on-990-brake-kit/ but I am lost in the world of brakes.

PS. I have been riding a heavy 7 year old Target Tony Hawk bike for a couple of years and have zero experience with tricks what so ever. Is this a good bike to start off with?

|

12/5/2017 7:12 PM

I would get an Eastern Shovelhead... full chromoly as well, but with double wall rims... also for $399... the Fit Dugan doesn't have double wall rims, just singlewall... so Id defiantly go with the Shovelhead...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/5/2017 7:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2017 7:35 PM

How tall are you? The Dugan has a pretty small top tube. &, in all honestly, the shovelhead is a great bike (I have a 17). Eastern has 17's available in black for $399 delivered (stateside). The 18's are about $60 more but have some changes from the 17's. Not sure it's worth the added $60 but that's up to you. If you are shorter, the Dugan would work but if you are 5'8" or above, that 20.25" tt is going to get cramped. Honestly, for the money, that shovel is amongst the best deals going at $399 delivered. & it is spec'd better than the FIT bikes (they all seem to come with single wall rims at that price point). As for the brakes, yes the Dugan should, at least, have brake mounts at that price point. & yes 990 referrs to a style of brake common to bmx that this bike has mounts for. At $399, I'd expect, not only brake mounts, but brakes, lever and cable (not to mention, cable mounts & a gyro [if you wanted]) all those things will add up to another $50-$100.

|

12/5/2017 7:28 PM

I'm only 5'1 or 5'2 and growing sad the 20.85 tt seems like a big stretch for my height. It looks like such a good deal! Only if I wasn't cursed with my small body...

|

12/5/2017 7:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2017 7:43 PM

Hmm... Yeah... You have a bit of a height "disadvantage" currently. Do you expect to grow? Is your father taller? I'm 6' &, to me at least, the shovel didn't feel overly large. In fact, initially, it felt small. I don't want to guide you in the wrong direction. Maybe someone else can testify to the geo of their bikes & how they might relate to the bikes your might be looking at.

|

12/5/2017 7:51 PM

Yeah my dad is like 6'2 and my older brother is 6'2 as well I'm just beginning to grow tongue hopefully in upcoming years I will have a larger selection of bikes

|

12/5/2017 7:52 PM

How old are you?

|

12/5/2017 7:56 PM

13 lol (I know, I'm small af for my age)

|

12/6/2017 1:43 AM

I think all the fit completes that are like 459 have double wall rims, I'm not sure if you can spend that much, also the KINK liberty of KINK whip is a great deal as well, if you wanna check them out, I know the whip is 20.5 top tube, you should be fine with that, your going to grow anyway

|

12/6/2017 2:50 AM

Yeah, it comes with a brake. It has removable mounts, but it's all supplied with the bike. If you buy the bike online it'll come in a box and you'll have to assemble it yourself. I'd suggest paying a shop to do it so they can set the brake up and make sure everything works as it should. You might know someone that can do it for you, but would they be prepared to pay for parts that fail if they set it up wrong?

|

12/6/2017 3:00 AM

Yes the fit will be good for you. The Eastern would be too if you were taller. And don't worry too much about single wall rims because at your size you probably don't weigh very much and if the spokes are kept at the right tension you won't have any problems.

|

Hmmm

12/6/2017 4:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2017 7:05 AM

jbnaples wrote:

13 lol (I know, I'm small af for my age)

Well, at your age & height... & knowing your family's height "tendencies", I'd say you are due for a growth spurt anytime now. With that in mind, you might want to consider the longer TT anyway. I know it isn't ideal at the moment but 20.25 is right for you now, but what about in 6 months or a year? If you were looking at the Shovel, that's a difference of just short of 5/8". Not a huge difference but a difference, nonetheless. You are sorta stuck at the moment & it'll be a tough decision on that criteria, alone. Obviously the Dugan will work well for you but it becomes a point of "for how long?". While a longer TT bike will be more useful, longer, be it the Shovelhead or another bike, it will be longer & might require some setup changes to make it work for you in the short term. Speaking of longer TT's, the Fit Hango is the same price but only 1/4" larger (20.5) TT. It might be a "happy medium" between the small and larger frame sizes for you if you are really torn. & it basically has the same specs as the Dugan. Just a thought.

At the very least, you are on the right path! Full chromo is the way to go if you are serious about learning & riding (it doesn't hurt that it'll maintain a higher resale value later too). Whatever you choose, be sure to post pics in the "Bike Check" area when you get it! Good luck!

|

12/6/2017 6:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2017 9:56 AM

Or if you want a smaller top tube... the Kink Whip is full chromoly and has double walled rims and sealed hubs for $400 as well... and it has a 20.5tt...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/6/2017 11:21 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Or if you want a smaller top tube... the Kink Whip is full chromoly and has double walled rims and sealed hubs for $400 as well... and it has a 20.5tt...

what he said... its a solid bike I just ordered one not to long ago

|