The Future: "Wireless" Brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

12/15/2012 8:28 AM

So I'm one of those riders that rides brake less but pretty much only because brakes are clanky and more of a hassle for me.

Well I was thinking, a few years down the road do you guys think we would have brakes that don't use a cable?

In my head I'm thinking you could have the pads coming out of the seat stay and they would be wirelessly connected to the lever. The brake lever would just be a remote control for the pads. Come to think of it they could have wires go through the frame so that it would look really clean. So it wouldn't really be wireless if it was done like that.

With today's technology I can't see it weighing much more than what we have now.

Thoughts?

I call dibs on this idea! Lol, it would be called the "Grizz RC Brake"

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

12/15/2012 8:38 AM

There have already been frames made with the cables going through the tubing. I'm sure the expense to manufacture it overrides the cool factor, at least for now.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

12/15/2012 8:42 AM

Yea for sure it would be expensive at first. But my main thing here is they wouldn't be a cable but rather an electronic brake with wires or even wireless.

|

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

12/15/2012 8:50 AM

I heard this all before. Nothing new

|

Jade Bike Check
Refs : ninjacat33 ; SuperstarDk ; ecuadevil ; xbikeascammer ;blizzbikes ; tcbmx ; mattjmuldoon@hotmail ;bmx ; Uoykcuf ; BrokenBmx, the balt; Pavimo; bmx-junkie; Fit.Team.Rider' tito24; trentydoo; brendan.magner.9 ;Scramhype ; Jonathan.Vargas ; jared42069; tomdon ; lifeofridden2200; howlerfbm

12/15/2012 9:10 AM

i loved brakes but i could do any bar maneuvers because i panicked about the lever

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]">

]Refs- Dirt Nasty, RideBmxWithSWAG, FOUR, Ron44ald, TCbmx(x2), Manny5569, JMIES419, aw1234512(x2), the balt, Spikez5(x2), ecuadevil(x2), Showtime402, RiverSideRider

12/15/2012 11:05 AM

Sounds stupid. I wouldn't want to put a battery on my bike. A cable that is hidden in the frame and bars would be pretty cool tho.

|

12/15/2012 11:08 AM

Shimano has had battery powered derailers.Didnt catch on.

|

12/15/2012 12:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2012 12:08 PM

Isnt one of the main reasons people ride brakeless coz of the leaver getting in the way? Still doesnt solve that issue.. If someone was gunna design something like a brake for the brakeless kids, think it'd have to do away with the leaver somehow

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

12/15/2012 12:54 PM

What if the battery died at the wrong time? the wireless signal got interfered with? Id rather NOT have brakes and KNOW i have to use my foot to stop than think i have brakes until i pull the lever and find out i dont.

|

12/15/2012 1:00 PM

I really don't think something like this could work
Using electric stuff in a sport like BMXing would require too much maintenance, especially if you damage some wires in the tubing.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

12/15/2012 3:16 PM

electro magnetics O.O that would so work and be boss ^_^

|

Ride or die

12/15/2012 3:19 PM

EddiMundo wrote:

Isnt one of the main reasons people ride brakeless coz of the leaver getting in the way? Still doesnt solve that issue.. If someone was gunna design something like a brake for the brakeless kids, think it'd have to do away with the leaver somehow

voice command.

shout out "abubaca!" and they lock up super tight, shout out "Brake!" and they lock normally!

|

12/15/2012 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2012 4:15 PM

Get a coaster hub , no need for brake cables or a lever

|

12/15/2012 8:58 PM

dream wrote:

I heard this all before. Nothing new

Prove it! I've never seen anything.

I don't know what you guys are talking about batteries for, solar power bitches!

No thanks on the coaster hub, but you can go buy a girls walmart bike and have at it.

|

12/15/2012 9:02 PM

EddiMundo wrote:

True I didn't think of that. I'm trying to think of somewhere that you can put a lever that;s not on the bars but always there when you need it.

|

12/15/2012 10:11 PM

Its a good idea, dont think it would be that hard though, if the break lever has a sensor in it and then when you pull it it sends a signal for the breaks to go on, like bluetooth or rc cars etc.

|

12/15/2012 11:17 PM

Exactly! I'm gunna draw something up to explain what I'm thinking to explain it better.

|

12/16/2012 6:51 AM

Calafia wrote:

This. It just isn't a feasible idea. In regards to it being done before :http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/worlds-first-wireless-electronic-bicycle-brake-32064/

The main issue with conventional bmx brakes is the lever getting in the way, and the fact that if your wheel is slightly out of true your brakes arent going to be nearly as effective. If you designed a new way to activate the brake, and looked at having an internal braking mechanism in the hub (like a drum brake but better) it may be practical. but then again you'd increase the rotating mass......

|

12/16/2012 11:40 AM

It's all about magnets..... AND SCIENCE!!!!!

|

Refs: Wade. Beastassdick. ScramHype Lee_Rager(x7) Spikez5 TCBmx Dolphin
With seller feedback and ref on Bmx-forum.com and PBNation.com. WhiteKinght

12/16/2012 4:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2012 5:07 PM

Ya bluetooth brakes the new shiz 2020! Too many hackers and haters would be jamming people up. Def think you on to something with a redesign for brake cables. There could maybe be a way of having a foot brake like moto but that could get in way of everything. How about internal hydraulic line that run out the back by seat tube. Could run it for seat stay mount brakes or 990. Then for the lever issue make a small thumb lever like a shifter pod from mtb but smaller. That would leave the front side of bars clean and open. They already have hydo gyro designs in prototype phase. Hydro lines can be lighter than cables. Specially with internal routing, wouldnt need beefy steel braided hose. Those thin hose with hydro fluid weigh less than cable/housing. Internal routing not a big deal either. Soo many companies doing that now in road/mtb. Need to make something happen these old cables iz wack.

|

The bigger the bust the better the boost.

12/16/2012 6:15 PM

screw that... ill stick with brakeless or a normal set up add too many variables and having brakes becomes sketchy....

|

I have nothing against pegs at all, I don’t think you’re dumb if you ride pegs, I don’t care about your pegs, they are just pegs! What I do hate is the fact that every person in BMX hops on this bandwagon of three pegs, and beanies, and weed, and hop-over grinds… It’s just sad that the pros who influence kids are more worried about looking cool than the kids themselves! It’s crazy!-Trey Jones

12/16/2012 6:34 PM

I was thinking maybe something like a button for your thumb instead of a lever. Then there's no lever to get in the way! Something like the kill button on a dirt bike.

Like the red button.

|

12/16/2012 7:05 PM

Calafia wrote:

Electronic groupsets did catch on (im a road cyclist) They are just fuck all expensive but they shift way cleaner and can shift under load. they are great, shimano sram and campognolo all have tof of the range electronic shifting

|

12/16/2012 7:35 PM

The price needs to come down.Over a K for the shimano kit + what ever the rest of the group cost.Not too many weekend wairriors running these.Same thing would happen with the bmx brakes.

|

12/17/2012 7:38 AM

Ya the thumb action seem to be a cleaner way to deal with lever issue. The button wouldnt give you brake modulation. This is important because dont need to lock them up every time. The thumb lever could give a similar modulation like regular levers. For one hydraulic break only need tiny master cylinder and it could be smaller than a shifter pod. Have it tucked right next to the grips.

|

12/17/2012 10:42 AM

shishka wrote:

Ya the thumb action seem to be a cleaner way to deal with lever issue. The button wouldnt give you brake modulation. This is important because dont need to lock them up every time. The thumb lever could give a similar modulation like regular levers. For one hydraulic break only need tiny master cylinder and it could be smaller than a shifter pod. Have it tucked right next to the grips.

Yea now we are talking! Definitely give it leverage so the brakes aren't just locked up right away. I'm gunna try making a drawing in photoshop today of everything in my head lol.

|

12/17/2012 12:24 PM

Calafia wrote:

theprophet wrote:

Electronic groupsets did catch on (im a road cyclist) They are just fuck all expensive but they shift way cleaner and can shift under load. they are great, shimano sram and campognolo all have tof of the range electronic shifting

I second that, I'm a road cyclist and they did catch on big time. Yeah they are expensive but that what every one wants.

I don't really understand why the cables matter so much to you, set ups now look pretty clean.

The braking feedback would be crappy if it was electronic ( I would think)

Wonder if hydraulic rim brakes will ever be seen on bmx (like on trials)

|

jb07, Zachary_, Showtime402, bobPa, dee hos, joe-rod56, "idk i'm a loser", Gsport23, JoeGreen, Trenty Doo, fly for life,laloest

12/17/2012 12:37 PM

I don't really have a problem with brakes now but you can't just sit there and say, "Well it works now, I don't think we should make it any better." There is always a better way to do something.

|

12/18/2012 8:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2012 8:50 AM

Ya there is def a way to redesign conventional brake cable technology. Hopefully bmx comes out with it first as they usually do. I think hydraulic rim brakes should be revisited. The only design out there is magura rim brakes. They are very strong and too many brake arches and bulky crap. They def on to something. The hydro lines they used were mad light. All the weight was in rear because of the double brake arch. Need to find a way of having even preasure applied to both sides of rim without needing huge heavy brake arch. As far as the thumb lever check out mtb hydro brake levers and shifter pods. Could combine those two and make it small and light. Dont need soo much fluid or preasure because this for light weight bmx bikes. Resvoir can be small like the old magura julie- circa 2005. Electronics are still too bulky and heavy to apply this much preasure for braking. Soon it will be a viable option.

|

12/24/2012 12:28 AM

my haro race bike has the cable routing through the frame. kinda cool!

|