Everything Needed For A Beginner

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2013 10:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2013 5:08 AM

Due to the abundance of people asking which bike they should get, I figure a thread dedicated to this would be perfect.

First off, learn what type of riding you are going to try to commit to. Maybe park, street , trails or flatland.
Second, your budget is going to be very vital in everything. Your not going to find very much under $200, unless you feel comfortable with a used bike, which will be your best bet for your money on Craigslist or Ebay, as you can snag a custom or high end complete for cheap.
When your looking for a bike, you will want:
Chromoly in as much a possible, but hi-ten will not kill you
1 1/8 Threadless headsets
A 14MM dropout on the frame
Sealed wheels, as they are going to last you a long time
3 Piece Cranks, and a sealed bottom bracket. American is not the best.
25/9 is the norm, but anything that under 30/10 is going to be perfect for most.
For you bigger folk, if comfort is more your side, 24 inch bikes are your best bet
Some include:
The Sunday Model C
DK General Lee 24
Sapient Titan 24
Mirraco 240
And worth noting is S&M Holmes 22" as it is a just a bit larger than a 20"
Brands you won't have problems with are:
Sunday
Premium
High End Haro's
Most Fit Completes
Cult
Amber (for those on a budget, this is your best bet !)
Kink
Redline
Mirraco
These brands have excellent intro level bikes, and will give you the most bang for your buck.
When you buy your bike, try to purchase from your Local Bike Shop as much as possible, if you can't, the best places to go order are:
Albe's
Empire
Danscomp
Jr Bicycles
Chain Reaction
VeinBMX
Universal
For those of you out of the US, there is:
Fluid (UK)
Customriders(UK)
LuxBMX (Australia)
Winstanleys(UK)
Evans(UK)
20twenty(UK)
BMXshop(UK)
Source(UK)
Vale(Austral)
When riding, it's important to have the good shoes, and some of the best brands are:
Nike
Lotek
Adidas
Osiris (But they wear quick)
Vans
Fuck DC and Rob Dyredek bitch ass
And almost every brand that has a team.
Additional things:
YOU NEED A HELMET
The best brands are:
Pro Tec
Triple Eight
Bell
TSG
Don't skimp on a helment, because they can save your life, just ask Mike Aitken.
Now, go get a bike, get out and ride!

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

7/26/2013 12:36 AM

Bump

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.

7/26/2013 12:46 AM

I wouldnt say Mirraco is very good. Unless you dont ride hard in any way or can afford to immediately start replacing things...

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/26/2013 12:49 AM

I know, I just wanted to throw some names out there

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.

7/26/2013 12:51 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I wouldnt say Mirraco is very good. Unless you dont ride hard in any way or can afford to immediately start replacing things...

thats a lie. kyle baldock rode for mirraco and if their shit kept breaking then he wouldnt of been there as long as he was.

|

7/26/2013 12:52 AM

Chainreaction is in Ireland not the US, and there is also Winstanleys, Evans, 20twenty, BMXshop and Source in the UK.

|

7/26/2013 1:03 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Chainreaction is in Ireland not the US, and there is also Winstanleys, Evans, 20twenty, BMXshop and Source in the UK.

Thanks for the info!

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.

7/26/2013 1:11 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Caelum Persson wrote:

thats a lie. kyle baldock rode for mirraco and if their shit kept breaking then he wouldnt of been there as long as he was.

He doesnt ride one of their completes. haha Their aftermarket stuff isnt as bad. Most of it is okay. I wouldnt buy it, it is kinda normal. Rather have something more interesting. But their completes are the #1 bike i see breaking.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/26/2013 1:14 AM

I think Black Label parts are a waste of money, I'm much for Snafu

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.

7/26/2013 1:21 AM

TLDR

|

7/26/2013 1:23 AM

brianoob wrote:

TLDR

Readings good for you.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.

7/26/2013 3:06 AM

Bump

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.

7/26/2013 3:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2013 3:14 AM

why bump it if there is nothing useful to input... just a waste of time. You do realize in about 3 days this will never be seen again until a newfag bumps it for no reason in a year or two...

Also DC shoes are crap for riding as they cut their whole bmx team to give more money to Rob Dyrdek...

|

Bruh

7/26/2013 3:26 AM

Fuck DC, there shoes are a piece of shit and so is there fucking shit ass company

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

7/26/2013 4:50 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

why bump it if there is nothing useful to input... just a waste of time. You do realize in about 3 days this will never be seen again until a newfag bumps it for no reason in a year or two...

Also DC shoes are crap for riding as they cut their whole bmx team to give more money to Rob Dyrdek...

Nothing more to say.....

|

Gravity sucks

7/26/2013 5:05 AM

I was just going to say a BIKE, HELMET, KNEE PADS, SOME TOOLS, SPARE TUBE, BIKE PUMP.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/26/2013 5:07 AM

Meh, I ain't got a damn thing to do.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.

7/26/2013 5:09 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

M'kay Mr. Sir

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.

7/26/2013 5:15 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I was just going to say a BIKE, HELMET, KNEE PADS, SOME TOOLS, SPARE TUBE, BIKE PUMP.

Yes! This

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars