The Next Gen

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2014 7:42 PM

How do you think the next generation will play out?

I've been riding since I believe somewhere between 2006 or 2007, could be '08 though

Whether it be parts, riders, styles, or whatever else it may be, it's always changing, always evolving in some way. Frames did not normally have sub 13.5 rear end lengths as much as they do now, not many had the tire clearance you see nowadays, and not many had a bunch of crazy colors or fancy bits like invest dropouts and whatnot. Not even frames though, about everything now even down to brakes.

We had the weight weenie phase and now we are beefing things up again, bars were not very common with 9 rise and above that seemed non-existent. Front load stems were more common than top load stems, seats were slammed and slim (or at least slimmer), there were many folding tires out there but most were later ditched, tire's did not go up to 2.4 from what I knew, freecoasters were a whole lot less abundant than cassette's, and it was pretty much just the G-Sport Pleg that was plastic.

We hear of riders like Shane Weston, Stevie Churchill, Brandon Begin, Charlie Crumlish, Tom Dugan, Alex Coleborn, Harry Main, Mark Webb, Kriss Kyle, Dakota Roche, Chase Hawk, Dennis Enarson, Tyler Fernengel, Devon Smillie, Chad Kerley, and many more nowadays.

We hear of companies like, Eclat, WTP, Fit, FlyBikes, Odyssey, BSD, Snafu, Cult, Shadow, Volume, Kink, Stolen, Mutiny, Haro, and many more nowadays.

Street riding blew up more and got crazier in some ways, park riding got more intense but seems a little less common than it used to be, riding styles shifted, I saw things going from pretty flowy in some forms to consisting of more of your tightly packed tech tricks.

Whether it be good or bad, BMX has wildy changed and grew, especially over the couple years till the present day. We've gained riders and we've lost riders.

All in all, what do you think will be coming about next. will it have an even bigger boost? Will bmx calm down a bit? What innovations are lurking around the next corner? What should we expect to happen in the coming years?

I do not know, but I am way more than interested in finding out.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

9/26/2014 7:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2014 7:46 PM

Trends are a revolving door. Everything that faded out will sooner or later come back. And the current trends will die down but eventually they will return and you'll see what I mean. No idea as far as innovation though

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

9/26/2014 8:22 PM

I started riding around the same time. Eclat, WTP, Fit, Fly, Odyssey, Snafu, Shadow, Volume, Kink, Haro were all around and fairly popular when i started. Dak, Chase, and Dennis were all riding then.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

9/26/2014 8:39 PM

I started towards the end of 2006, I remember starting on a Haro Backtrail x2 and thinking it was the shit haha. I remember when I got some new stuff for it too and got it down to 28lbs and thinking that was sooo fucking light, and at the time it was pretty damn decent.

I remember when pivotal posts became super popular, EVERYONE had a Macneil seat & post. I was one of the last to make the change to pivotal.

I remember when small bars were dying out, and again I was one of the last to bump up to bigger bars.

I remember when nylon barends came out too, nearly every company makes them now but I THINK Mosh was the first, or at least one of the first to make them. Speaking of Mosh, I remember them too haha.

I remember a lot of things, and I love talking about older stuff. It's crazy how much bmx history happened JUST in the last 10 years or so. I love showing my friends who started only just a few years ago edits from Steven Hamilton, older Van Homan footage, and other stuff. Blows their mind haha.

|

9/26/2014 11:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2014 11:19 PM

With the way geometry, seat height, tires and cranks etc are going. I would not be surprised if there is another spin off on bmx again, similar to what happened in the early-mid 80s when freestyle became an entity. I can see purpose only built trick bikes with flex in some areas and stiff in others (Multimedia material) being in the close future. I do not see today's park/street bikes, to far from that form now as it is.

|