The Olympics

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2021 4:31 PM

The riders are starting to arrive in Tokyo. The first practice is Tuesday and they'll be competing next weekend.

Do you plan to watch? Do you care? Who do you think is going to take the win?

|

7/24/2021 4:37 PM

Honestly, I'll skim through what videos show up online, but while I can give props to the riders...I just don't care for the style of riding. It's kind of funny since I do like park riding, but I guess it leans more toward the Street park riding. More tech stuff and less let's see how many tricks I can do over this box all at once.

|

REF: HELLOMYNAMEISRAD, CKY99, skribblez32

7/24/2021 4:40 PM

Don’t think I’ll watch live, hopefully catch videos on YouTube

Don’t care all that much, obviously you root for your country but ramp riding like that isn’t my thing

However if it’s still true, after the olympics they leave everything, so hopefully once the olympics are over we will get some good clips from that skatepark from many more riders

|

7/24/2021 4:47 PM

I hope Chelsea wins because fuck y’all

|

smile

7/24/2021 5:04 PM

I'm only watching if a certain flag is being burned.

|

7/24/2021 6:01 PM

Weird, didn’t even know the Olympics had started. Was really into watching X Games BMX n YouTube, but I don’t really know a lot about (or care that much) about the Olympic riders.

I wish those guys well and hope they are safe on the course. Probably “un-American” to say so, but if I have time to watch TV, I’ll spend that time watching a streaming series. Have been really into Vikings recently.

|

7/24/2021 7:23 PM

I'll try to watch it live if I can find what channel it's on. NBC spreads out the events over like 6 or 7 different channels that they own.

|

7/24/2021 7:52 PM

I know it’s a bmx forum but judo and women’s pole vault are what I think of when we talk olympics . X games is the olympics for bikes

|

7/24/2021 9:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2021 7:47 AM

I’ll be on the road hitting parks , I’d love to watch it though , I’m hoping Nikita Ducarroz and Justin Dowell take the golds

|

7/25/2021 12:55 AM

I bet ex Soviet Union countries take all the medals

|

7/25/2021 12:59 AM

Of course, crack a beer, watch Logan Martin and Hannah Roberts win and then go ride!
I hope Nick Bruce wins though but is anyone gonna be able to beat Logan?

|

7/25/2021 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2021 10:57 AM

The amount of bike riders that are not freestyle BMX riders I’m seeing recently getting pissed off saying freestyle BMX and skateboarding does not deserve to be in the olympics is hilarious.

I’ve seen allot of butthurt road bikers on the internet mad about it saying it’s freestyle and judged and should not be in it , so I guess according to them Olympic diving should be out too with only racing involved. I think these guys are worried with sports like wrestling and baseball getting kicked out of the olympics in recent Olympics that road biking could be out in the future. It’s a televised event and needs to draw viewers , and I feel like the new young generation wants high paced acrobatic action instead of watching dudes ride around on flat ground in spandex .

It was also funny I had a BMX racer getting pissed off at me that it was in. He told me “ BMX in the olympics is racing , I’m fucken sick of everytime I go out in public and tell people that I’m a BMX rider they expect that I do backflips , us hardcore BMX racers are tired of this” . I thought that was hilarious how serious he was about it , I guess he should have learned backflips . Racing is legit badass too those guys get broke off all the time in gnarly wrecks , I have no ill feelings towards racing but apparently to some hardcore racers the feeling isn’t mutual.

|

7/25/2021 11:18 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I’ll be on the road hitting parks , I’d love to watch it though , I’m hoping Nikita Ducarroz and Justin Dowell take the golds ...more

I’m not here to start arguments but I hope Nikita takes an L because she was mean to me when I first met her a while ago sad

|

smile

7/25/2021 11:26 AM

eskimojay wrote:

The amount of bike riders that are not freestyle BMX riders I’m seeing recently getting pissed off saying freestyle BMX and ...more

I don't know if I've ever met a racer that didn't enjoy riding a skate park or some trails. Kris Fox and Corey Walsh had pretty high profile racing careers and transitioned so well into freestyle. That dude you talked to sounds like he's got some very rigid thinking or a chip on his shoulder.....maybe both.

Either you ride BMX or you don't.

|

7/25/2021 11:27 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I’ll be on the road hitting parks , I’d love to watch it though , I’m hoping Nikita Ducarroz and Justin Dowell take the golds ...more

PastaIsLitty wrote:

I’m not here to start arguments but I hope Nikita takes an L because she was mean to me when I first met her a while ago sad

That’s too bad , I’ve had a few brief interactions with her she’s always been chill to me , I like her riding style I to like doing flips, 540s on quarterpipes and the limb combo tricks

Hannah’s gotta be the favourite and it’s not that I don’t like Hannah , she’s a beast . But it’s like Nyquist 2000s era where I’m just tired of seeing the winning dominance and I want to see someone take her down. also a big fan of Natalya Diehms riding , I’d be stoked to see those three on the podium

|

7/25/2021 1:33 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I too want to see a GT bicycles flag get burned on the podium

|

7/25/2021 1:53 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

I too want to see a GT bicycles flag get burned on the podium

This is the flag that I want to see burned:

Photo

|

7/25/2021 5:31 PM

Anyone on here watching the racing ? I’m watching the redbull hardline race right now, gnarly crashes in racing

|

7/25/2021 11:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2021 12:08 AM

I’ve heard our BMX multiple times say in podcasts it’s not the best riders in the world , I’ve been to and seen fise events , I disagree , it will be the top riders in the world from the respective countries as they show up , if you have the arrogance to say guys like Kenneth tencio or Daniel dhers isn’t one of the best riders in the world and is a backup rider you aren’t watching the contest , as it was funny to see how everyone hated monster riders with x games , I won’t be surprised to see bmxers hate olympics with redbull rockstar guys , BMX is too hardcore and up its own ass

Don’t believe me look at skateboarding 20 man qualifier and a final , all BMX gets is a 9 rider final ?

|

7/26/2021 1:37 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I’ve heard our BMX multiple times say in podcasts it’s not the best riders in the world , I’ve been to and seen fise events , ...more

I think what they mean is that because only 9 riders get in, with one from each country plus two from the best is that it won’t be all the best riders. From countries that have several riders who could contend for gold, there will only be one present. Of course Kenneth and Daniel are among the best in the world at their discipline, but the olympics won’t be all the best riders.

|

7/26/2021 2:23 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I’ve heard our BMX multiple times say in podcasts it’s not the best riders in the world , I’ve been to and seen fise events , ...more

I too find that argument about it not being the best riders a bit weird for two reasons, one being the one you just mentioned.

The other is that it's the fucking Olympics and not just a BMX contest, it's the same for every sport that's in it! Each country gets the send their choice of athlete/athletes and no matter if you're swimming, shooting or riding bikes it's the same and that's what the Olympics is.
I think in that aspect the BMXers who are complaining about this needs to get some perspective on the whole thing and view the Olympics for what it is and not for a BMX contest.

|

7/26/2021 3:12 AM

MH wrote:

I too find that argument about it not being the best riders a bit weird for two reasons, one being the one you just mentioned. ...more

Right, except that we expect to be entertained if we are watching sports on TV. The first Olympics I remember watching was the 88 Seoul Olympics (While I was around for the 84 Olympics, I was only 3). I could not tell you one person who was on the US men’s basketball team. But In 1992, they opened it up to pros and the first Dream Team was born. I can still tell you who the starting 5 were for that team.

Why? Not just because it was a spectacle, but because I was more invested in watching these basketball greats that were already household names in the NBA. I’m not doubting the skill and commitment of the Olympic riders, but they also do not have the same exposure or branding as many other BMXers.

Olympics is supposed to be be pure sport and international goodwill/camaraderie...but frankly I think, in general, people are more comfortable ingesting what they are already familiar with. Some may even sacrifice their country not medaling, just so long as they get to see their favorite riders.

|

7/26/2021 7:10 AM

I watch as much as I can. USA! USA! USA!

|

7/26/2021 10:27 AM

If I can catch it when it airs I will definitely watch it! If not I will absolutely be scoping out the recaps.

This is huge for our sport, regardless of where you stand on what's "proper" BMX or whatever. I for one am very proud to have this passion of mine shared on the Olympic world stage for the first time (for freestyle).

Some info from USA Cycling:

https://usacycling.org/article/how-to-watch-bmx-freestyle-at-the-tokyo-olympic-games

|

Style matters

7/26/2021 2:54 PM

I think its great and I hope it opens up more parks to bikes and even influences the design of skateparks. Kids can look at this and think "I can get an Olympic medal for riding my bike". The point of "freestyle" is you can chose what you want to do, whether its train for the Olypics, ride the streets, build trails or go to a jam like the ARF or Swampfest. Get on a bike and be passionate, make friends and write your own story.

|

7/26/2021 2:59 PM

Ex's and Oh's wrote:

I think its great and I hope it opens up more parks to bikes and even influences the design of skateparks. Kids can look at ...more

Man, I actually kinda worry it’ll do the opposite. Skaters could theoretically point to the olympics, highlight the fact that BMX had its own wooden, FISE-style park while the concrete bowl and plaza was reserved for skateboarding and say “see! This isn’t for them!”. Best case, we do get let in to more parks; or maybe FISE style parks start popping up and we’re still not allowed into the concrete park. On the other hand, we could not be allowed into the concrete park and also not get our own set up.

|

7/26/2021 3:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2021 3:27 PM

The concrete bowl styles that have been popping up in Canada have been getting ruined with that shitty old school pool style coping that sticks out and kicks you to the flat , we need to get rid of that bullshit , I don’t care what the oldhead lords of dog town wannabes say with their weak ass same 5 old school tricks under coping layback sliders and 4 lip tricks

And theirs more to bowl/transition riding than this , these pool copings popping up in recent years have literally limited riders to do nothing but dead sailor pocket airs
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByS-k0-hG90/?utm_medium=copy_link

I would love to see big ramp fise style parks popping up more , like the old wood style x games courses on steroids , beenleigh skatepark in Australia is a perfect example of an epic park
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CRznzTyH9q_/?utm_medium=copy_link

|

7/26/2021 3:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2021 3:59 PM

eskimojay wrote:

The concrete bowl styles that have been popping up in Canada have been getting ruined with that shitty old school pool style ...more

Bad pool coping sucks, good pool coping is good. I’m sorry that you get a lot of bad pool coping. I agree, transition riding is wide and varied. I personally prefer interesting lines and high airs in deep bowls to almost anything else, but it’s not to say that the other shit isn’t sick, too.

I would also love to see them popping up more, that shit looks fun as hell, but I’d be surprised if local councils are gonna build two parks. I just hope BMX is, and continues to be allowed in whichever option they go with.

P.S. Beenleigh looks a lot better than it rides.

|

7/26/2021 5:40 PM

eskimojay wrote:

The concrete bowl styles that have been popping up in Canada have been getting ruined with that shitty old school pool style ...more

I've noticed a lot of younger skaters don't care for pool coping either. Like Brodie said, good pool coping is rad if it's got a proper reveal that doesn't stick out like crazy. There's a certain novelty to gnarly pool coping in a DIY sort of way but if that Grindline style pool coping dominated my local, I'd probably be pretty upset.

|

7/27/2021 4:25 AM

eskimojay wrote:

The amount of bike riders that are not freestyle BMX riders I’m seeing recently getting pissed off saying freestyle BMX and ...more

That last bit about the racers, my god I see that a lot.

Locals getting mad "IT'S NOT BMX, IT'S FREESTYLE. GET IT RIGHT" and then I laughed and told them it's ALL BMX. It's like I am trying to start WWIII with them.

All aspects take skill, talent and effort in different ways. Some of the best freestyle riders started with racing. Some of the best racers hit the trails or park on occasion.

AND YOU CAN RACE ON A FREESTYLE BIKE AND RIDE PARKS ON A RACE BIKE. They aren't the best tool for the job, but it works.

But boy do those younger racer dudes get mad. The old guys never care.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura