The "Perfect" Street Bike...

Related:
Create New Tag

7/8/2013 6:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2013 6:48 AM

tomdon wrote:

If you don't mind topsey, ima add to this.

Chainstay length does have an effect but not as big an impact as people think. Shorter chainstays will make hops more responsive in the aspect they will pop easier but be far less stable. Where as a longer chainstay will require a tad more effort but will be much more stable once you're up.

Same goes for manuals. Shorter chainstay does not make manuals easier. It just requires less effort to pick them up, but you are trading off the balance. Shorter chainstays will be harder to balance once the manual is going. Longer chainstays are the opposite, they balance better but don't pull up as easy.

Bmx is all technique however. As long as you have the technique you should be able to adapt to any frame just frame regardless of the geometry.

I didn't read it all, BUT chainstay length will also make it feel different in the air. Longer will be more stable both at high speeds and up high but harder to spin, and shorter will be more responsive and easier to spin, but may feel twitchy at high speeds.

Best recommendation is to do some research on what you have, and what you would like it to do, then find parts that are spec'd to the outcome you are aiming for. If your bike is squirrely, don't get a shorter setup if you hate that feeling. If it is sluggish, hard to spin, and not as maneuverable as you want, get something a little more tech-oriented, which would likely have a shorter rear, and steeper head tube.

But I totally agreed, technique can make it so you can spin like a top on a frame with a 14 inch rear end, and nosewheelie for days on a 74 degree ht.

Learn your techniques on what you have, learn your setup, and things will come. There is no "magic" setup that will instantly make you awesome at riding, no matter what you have.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/8/2013 12:06 PM

I feel like 22mm isn't necessary. Subrosa bitchens and stolen teams are ridden by the likes of Simone barraco and such. They hold op excellent. But I do see where your coming from.

Also when it comes the offset on forks and such, it really depends on your stem reach, head tube angle, and bar position.
25mm on a 74.5 head tube, with a long stem won't feel like a 32mm on a 75 with a short stem ya know. In that sense people gotta expirement and get it dialed to how they want it.

Overall very well written and very much so agreed on.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK