The Ultimate BMX Buyer's Guide (Under Construction)

Related:
Create New Tag

12/26/2017 11:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2018 11:16 AM

Buying a Complete BMX Bike

Buying a BMX Frame

Buying BMX Forks

Buying BMX Cranks

Buying BMX Handlebars

Where to Shop for BMX Stuff

Hey guys.

As some of you know, I've been out on a wrist injury for the past 4 months. I've had 3 surgeries done on my wrist with more to come, so I can't work, ride, or really be anything more than a couch potato. Can't even leave the house really because I have a 3ft pickline going to my heart in my good arm.

Anyways, this isn't a sob story, I'm hyped to be working on a new build while I'm down & be able able to stay active on the forum and in Facebook groups.

I'm going to take advantage of the situation and build up this thread as the "Ultimate Buying Guide" for BMX bikes and parts. What I plan to do is make individual threads for each part. I will try to pump them out as often as possible, hopefully even daily. Then I will link them all to this thread to keep it simple and easy to navigate.

Now, I know you all have opinions and advice, but I'm going to ask you to please keep them out of this thread and save them for the specific threads that will be posted here. For example, if I forget to mention that chromoly is the material you want for a frame, please leave that comment under the Frame thread, & I will edit each thread accordingly as you guys help me out.

Also, nobody feel the need to help make threads. This is an awesome project for me to work on while I'm down, and I feel it necessary for me to do something productive for all my BMX friends and family across the globe.
I will only post threads here that I have made, and I will still make my own thread even if you are to make your own.

Hopefully once this picks up, it can get stickied and shared all over. Should help keep all the "what to look for in a bmx" & "what part should I get" threads at bay. I will also go over and link a bunch of legitimate shops and mail orders to buy from.

Anywho, cheers fellas! And happy holidays.
|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/26/2017 1:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 1:17 PM

Cool deal!

Sorry to hear about your wrist...

I look forward to your future posts! wink

|

12/27/2017 8:34 AM

What about this having it's own section and related threads get moved there?

|

12/27/2017 8:44 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

What about this having it's own section and related threads get moved there?

Not a bad idea, but I think you'll like the way it will be set up when finished. Will be super easy to navigate through different threads, and all we will have to do is share this one link to answer a whole variety of questions that are common here and every where else. Plus hopefully if it's stickied to the top of this forum, people will read it before asking what they should buy. Hopefully anyways, we will likely have to direct them to this thread anywaysgringrin
Thank you for the feedback though!

& Thanks, Bullet!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

4/20/2018 7:18 AM

Bumped
Hopefully people will see this thread instead of duplicating threads without even realizing it.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/20/2018 7:39 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Bumped
Hopefully people will see this thread instead of duplicating threads without even realizing it.

This should be stickied!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/20/2018 7:58 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Bumped

p1p1092 wrote:

This should be stickied!

I agree. I made a less detailed one a while back for the hope that it would be stickied, but I'd rather have this one be stickied than anything.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/20/2018 8:02 AM

I still have A LOT of work to do on this thread, but have been far too busy hosting my jam/dealing with the aftermath.

I'm finally done with all that for the most part & am going back to work on Wednesday. Gonna try to start writing these threads before bed a couple nights a week.

|

4/20/2018 8:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/20/2018 8:11 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I still have A LOT of work to do on this thread, but have been far too busy hosting my jam/dealing with the aftermath.

I'm ...more

Not sure if you saw it or not but I added your buyers guide to the "Stickied" thread at the top. I figured at least it is set in place in a spot that SHOULD stay put.

|

4/20/2018 11:06 AM

these are all really good! Helping me understand some of the more detailed aspects of the wrenching side of owning a bike!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/20/2018 11:13 AM

If nowhere in your guide do you say lifetime warranty or list Sunday and Standard as the best backed frames. GSport as the best rimes followed by Odyssey (at present anyway) you need to do more research.

|

4/20/2018 11:31 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

If nowhere in your guide do you say lifetime warranty or list Sunday and Standard as the best backed frames. GSport as the ...more

It is a Buyer's guide, not a sales point for your preference of parts. Sorry.

However, if you looked closely enough you would see that I did mention both Sunday's Heat Treatment and their Wave-Tubing in the post, I'm just not dim-witted enough to claim it to be "the best" on an unbiased guide aimed to help people pick their own parts, not just the ones that I or anyone else specifically likes.

TLDR; GTFO

|

4/20/2018 11:32 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

If nowhere in your guide do you say lifetime warranty or list Sunday and Standard as the best backed frames. GSport as the ...more

Well, this isn't a guide to "the best frame, fork, bike, whatever". It's a guide on what to look for & what terms mean. There are plenty of frames out there that do not have a lifetime warranty that are great frames that most people would have a hard time breaking. Just because it doesn't have a lifetime warranty, doesn't make it junk. Also, "the best" changes with time. This is meant to be a guide for noobs that will stand the test of time (at least for a bit, anyway.

|

8/7/2018 1:20 PM

Thread updated.

I will continue to update this thread with links to the Part Buying Guides, however I am going to begin creating the threads on my own site (capitalcrewbmx.com)

|