The Wave of Crappy Bike Comapanies Leaving BMX.

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2013 9:44 PM

Okay, let's be real, Mirraco has been close to ending for 2-3 years now. Diamondback has some good frames and they tried to make completes that were good but no one could get one so they were screwed right there. Diamondback is one of those companies that has the potential to be amazing, but instead they dont sell the good stuff they do have.
If the fact that these companies not being all that good offends you, im sorry. Mirraco made a few good frames, yeah. Diamondback was an original BMX brand, so it is sad to see it go. These companies have been moving downhill and now this.

My question for you is, who is leaving next? Which bike brand is dropping out of the BMX category? If any.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/13/2013 9:47 PM

Know your roots. If Mongoose was pulling out of bmx completely, it'd be a big deal. People see them as a shitty WalMart brand deal when in reality they make some pretty good components. Without the older brands, bmx wouldn't be what it is today.

|

12/13/2013 9:53 PM

I'd guess Redline. Scrapped Gerber's sig frame and he didn't seem to psyched on Redline in his BMXUnion interview.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/13/2013 9:53 PM

Redline might be pulling out...

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

12/13/2013 9:55 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Redline might be pulling out...

nh

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/13/2013 10:03 PM

If they're shitty , or "crappy" companies. Then we don't need them. Let the genuine companies get their money.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/13/2013 10:38 PM

I hope redline isn't pulling out of BMX thatd be a big lost. Dimondback is a fairly big lost but they haven't been to relevant until the picked up hucke and gray and then just kinda sat on the talent. Im not too butt hurt about mirraco leaving, they never really impressed me.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

12/14/2013 6:59 AM

Felt could easily drop the bmx freestyle segment and live on as a bike brand. Not sure about their bmx racing since I don't follow racing.

|

12/14/2013 7:22 AM

DUDE. NO WAY IN HELL Redline is pulling out. They dominate bmx racing right now, and when those kids who race decide they want to ride street/park, what's the one brand they trust the most? A: the brand they've been racing on. They buy redline street frames. As for diamondback being crappy i think you should rethink how much theyve accomplished in the 90s and early 2000s. This is a HUGE deal. Just because companies aren't as popular doesn't mean their parts are shitty. Most companies get their shit from the same factories. They just don't succeed because trendy fucks want a bike with all one-brands parts on them.

Next brand to go? idk. DK's street frames haven't been getting much attention. But they are still a big race presence.

|

12/14/2013 7:39 AM

Yeah. I don't see Redline going. But they do need to drop some of those completes. You just don't need that many.

|

12/14/2013 8:46 AM

Fondue wrote:

Felt could easily drop the bmx freestyle segment and live on as a bike brand. Not sure about their bmx racing since I don't ...more

Yea im shocked felt hasn't left yet.

|

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

12/14/2013 8:55 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

I don't think they have a team anymore since Crammer left?

|

12/14/2013 9:14 AM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

What about Josh betley? I know he used to have a sig frame with them

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

12/14/2013 9:18 AM

Fondue wrote:

Felt could easily drop the bmx freestyle segment and live on as a bike brand. Not sure about their bmx racing since I don't ...more

Brokenbmx wrote:

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Josh Bently i think still rides for them.

|

12/14/2013 9:30 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Brokenbmx wrote:

Josh Bently i think still rides for them.

You're right. Josh Betley and Zach Early are the only 2 dudes left on the team. They could easily drop the team and keep making BMX bikes... I suspect that's what Diamondback is going to do.

|

12/14/2013 9:47 AM

Redline?! please no

|

REFSREFS: Four, agfracing, bmx4life121303, Austin_Read, the balt, handlebar-to-face, Murtaugh, killjonken, Bmx&volkswagens, TCbmx(x2), spikez5, A08, SuperstarDK, blizzbikes, ecuadevil, BMX4Lyfee, Kroller, 2283kdogg, ShadowBmx1995, WeAreFucked, killedglamour, Showtime402, ScramHype, Prophet, 2wheelguy, ugot2dewitt, Sancheezz, tomdon five16-207-nine457

12/14/2013 10:04 AM

Deadsailor666 wrote:

DUDE. NO WAY IN HELL Redline is pulling out. They dominate bmx racing right now, and when those kids who race decide they want ...more

Yeah, they do have roots. But for a long time now they havent done anything decent and it is sad.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/14/2013 10:11 AM

Fondue wrote:

I wouldn't mind if Felt dropped it. There is this A-hole bakeshop trying to compete with my local. (Its not that they suck but they are a dick to anybody who doesn't buy from there) And all they pretty much sell is felt. If felt went out. They go out.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

12/14/2013 10:16 AM

Fondue wrote:

feeble_to_face wrote:

I wouldn't mind if Felt dropped it. There is this A-hole bakeshop trying to compete with my local. (Its not that they suck but ...more

Felt really doesnt do anything do they? lol And Bike Shops can switch who they get bikes from. Some bike shops refuse to deal with certain brands but they can get other brands.

|

12/14/2013 10:36 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Felt really doesnt do anything do they? lol And Bike Shops can switch who they get bikes from. Some bike shops refuse to deal ...more

Or a quality shop (like my lbs) will special order parts for people who request them and will test new parts themselves too

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

12/14/2013 10:42 AM

Fondue wrote:

Yeah. I don't see Redline going. But they do need to drop some of those completes. You just don't need that many.

Redline actually has reduced the complete line. Sadly but also understandably, the Column, their full aftermarket complete was cut. I think I would have cut a few of the lower end bikes. There's no point in each tier of the lineup having one more chromo tube in the frame than the last one. Make a hi ten entry level, a hi ten cs/ss/st mid level, and then the full chromo for the pro, and then the full aftermarket complete. From there, just maybe make two colorways for the lower and mid, and be done with it. They also should think about either a fair to decent warranty for aftermarket parts, the upgrade type deal like eastern has, and, at this point, it seems they stepped on their dick by not putting out what could have been a sweet street frame with Gerber's name on it, but who knows why they did that. I don't see them killing the teams OR stopping their BMX D/S/P line, and definitely not their racing team or that line up of bikes. I have a feeling they will at some point soon announce Gerber is not on the team anymore, which to me, if they really are letting him go, isn't a great decision. I believe with the right backing that dude will be going places. He's not a douche like some guys with his skills are, he's young, and truly has a passion for riding. I was looking forward to buying that street frame he was testing as soon as it dropped, but when it didn't appear in the 2014 lineup, I talked to someone who said they were changing a few things before it went into production, but hasn't heard anything as far as an approximate date.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

12/14/2013 10:54 AM

Chuck - What I would do is discontinue the Rival, Romp, and Recon. I would make an 18" & 20" Asset. Then, with the remaining completes I would have two sizes each for the Asset 20, Random, and Syntax. I would change up some of the specs for the frames and parts. And I'd make the Covet the affordable top of the line model by putting a SDS hub on there since it has the G7 cranks, and upgrade to Felon rims.

|

12/14/2013 11:09 AM

What happened to Sputnick?

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

12/14/2013 11:18 AM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

They were/are owned by Sparkys Distribution who also own Shadow and Subrosa and they decided to close the brand down.

|

12/14/2013 12:10 PM

hyper/snafu/failure/mcgoo shithouse can close also. If this was 4 years ago, i wouldn't say that about failure.

|

12/14/2013 12:32 PM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

They were/are owned by Sparkys Distribution who also own Shadow and Subrosa and they decided to close the brand down.

Sad. When i was first getting into bmx i always wanted sputnick parts. And now that i have a little money i can't buy them sad

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/14/2013 12:33 PM

you don't want them

|

12/14/2013 12:40 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Sad. When i was first getting into bmx i always wanted sputnick parts. And now that i have a little money i can't buy them sad

I feel you there, same tongue I liked the Space Cobra in Ben Hucke's weird coloured bikes

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/14/2013 1:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2013 1:32 PM

The reason behind these "crappy" companies leaving the bmx part of cycling is that it just isn't profitable for them. Let's be real here, at some point or another when running a business it has to come down to profits. All companies have to make some form of profit, either the profits achieve there expectations exceed their expectations or barely get through and all the companies to break even and continue manufacturing. I'm sure there are guys on the diamondback staff that love bmx and generally hate to see it go. most bmx brands target the pre teenage- teenage youth so they have to come up with shit that is attractive to the people they are targeting. For example if I was targeting the teenage youth I sure as he'll wouldn't be typing this paragraph because it's fucking boring and nobody gives a damn. Bmx isn't as popular as skating and there isn't much room for profit in this industry so companies have to make tough decisions to stay afloat, something most teenagers have problems doing or comprehending. It's nothing personal guys, personally I've never really paid much attention to Diamondback.

Overall the main dilemma I see with bmx is that something has to change for it to be more entertaining or pretty soon bmx is going to fall through the cracks and it'll be "dead". Once again..... By entertaining I don't mean bigger tricks and gnarly crashes because that shit gets boring too. To me bmx represents difference and uniqueness it isn't all about tricks and it can't always be about tricks. I feel like something major is about to happen to the bmx industry.... Just my thoughts. At one point or another we realize we all can't grow old riding our bikes daily, responsibilities come into the picture and bmx becomes nothing but a distant memory where times where much simpler and there was no goddamn thing as responsibility....just ask the older riders that have made it through the rough patches.

So my point being.... Something in bmx has to change for it to reach a wider audience and allow more people to become acquainted with it. There's only so much abuse your wrists and knees can take.Perfect example for what I'm trying to say would be mat Hoffman, he still rides but he realized that he couldn't keep living on the edge all the time unless he wanted to fall off the edge.

|

12/14/2013 1:44 PM

RiverSideRider wrote:

hyper/snafu/failure/mcgoo shithouse can close also. If this was 4 years ago, i wouldn't say that about failure.

Has failure stopped producing USA made stuff?

I've never liked hype or failure, but snafu wasn't half bad. Snafu was/is a more park style brand though.

|