The first run

Related:
Create New Tag

2/10/2019 1:10 AM

Whenever I go to the skatepark I usually go to the boxes and whenever I do my first run of the day it feels weird and unnatural. But I had seen loads of people just send it first go so I decided to that, nose cased, went over the bars and broke my nose and had concussion. Do any of you guys experience that feeling.

|

2/10/2019 3:13 AM

Depends on how often you ride, if your not riding every day, your gonna wanna warm up first.

|

Ride everything

2/10/2019 5:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2019 5:34 PM

If you are concussed don’t go try to ride through it, let that shit heal , you hit your head again while concussed you’re going to have a bad time

|

2/11/2019 4:13 AM

I sustained a concussion playing hockey back in November. I was finally cleared for contact/riding in January. Sucked, but I had to let it heal before potentially fucking myself up more.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

2/11/2019 4:49 AM

I work my way up to getting silly-always have. I can't huck it like that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/11/2019 5:11 AM

Yeah that was just a dumb move. I never send anything before just riding around, doing a few hops and 180s until I feel I get to that "loose" feeling.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/11/2019 5:15 AM

It's worth remembering that if someone is insanely good their first run might be warming up/taking it easy to them but it looks like they're sending it to you. Like a guy that can do a 720 double whip might show up at the skatepark and start with a 3 whip; now that's pretty insane to most people, but to someone on that level it's childs play. I rode with Dan Paley a while back and one of the first things he did was a 540 flyout to backwards manual to full cab... It's all about perspective.

Heal up dude

|

2/11/2019 7:02 AM

When sending it goes wrong. I've learned from many a tweaked spine to just take it easy for the first 10 mins of a session. I loosen up on the ride to the spot/park, start out with manuals, 180s, banked wall rides, feebles, etc.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/11/2019 9:42 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

When sending it goes wrong. I've learned from many a tweaked spine to just take it easy for the first 10 mins of a session. I ...more

This is about what I do as well...not that I am "sending it" when I ride, but I am trying to regain my jump/air skills, and I can't do that right off the bat.

Plus, if the park is populated, doing smaller stuff lets me feel out the vibe at the park: where are the scooter kids hanging...check...avoid that area. Which guys are trying legit stuff...check...watch them, see their lines, and then don't snake them or get in the way

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

2/11/2019 11:03 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

This is about what I do as well...not that I am "sending it" when I ride, but I am trying to regain my jump/air skills, and I ...more

Long time, no see! Good to hear you're still riding! smile

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/11/2019 12:41 PM

I usually mess around with silly stuff until I've loosened up a bit, then continue to mess around with silly stuff.

|

2/11/2019 12:45 PM

I usually warm up with some feeble grinds or cruising around on some banks. I never feel 100% on my bike when I first jump on it.

|

2/11/2019 8:34 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

When sending it goes wrong. I've learned from many a tweaked spine to just take it easy for the first 10 mins of a session. I ...more

sXeBMXer wrote:

This is about what I do as well...not that I am "sending it" when I ride, but I am trying to regain my jump/air skills, and I ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Long time, no see! Good to hear you're still riding! smile

thanks man!! I battle manic depression - have all my life - and have been in one of my "Darknesses" for the past 2-3 months. I have not been feeling real social until recently. I just have to sometimes hole up and battle my demons. I lurk the site to help me keep touch with stuff I like, but when I am in my moods, I generally don't like to reply. But, biking and music help me get through it. I have a big episode like this about every 3 years.

Glad to see a lot of the usual suspects still here as well!!!

....I am riding my MTB in the snow right now!! But will hit the parks here in about a month when the weather decides on letting them be ridable. Also, will hopefully be getting my new BMX this spring now that the wedding is over and payed for.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

2/12/2019 9:22 AM

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I forgot to mention I have been fully recovered for a while now and am free of concussion. Anyway thank you all.

|