The first run

Related:
Create New Tag

2/10/2019 1:10 AM

Whenever I go to the skatepark I usually go to the boxes and whenever I do my first run of the day it feels weird and unnatural. But I had seen loads of people just send it first go so I decided to that, nose cased, went over the bars and broke my nose and had concussion. Do any of you guys experience that feeling.

|

2/10/2019 3:13 AM

Depends on how often you ride, if your not riding every day, your gonna wanna warm up first.

|

Ride everything

2/10/2019 5:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2019 5:34 PM

If you are concussed don’t go try to ride through it, let that shit heal , you hit your head again while concussed you’re going to have a bad time

|

2/11/2019 4:13 AM

I sustained a concussion playing hockey back in November. I was finally cleared for contact/riding in January. Sucked, but I had to let it heal before potentially fucking myself up more.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

2/11/2019 4:49 AM

I work my way up to getting silly-always have. I can't huck it like that.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

2/11/2019 5:11 AM

Yeah that was just a dumb move. I never send anything before just riding around, doing a few hops and 180s until I feel I get to that "loose" feeling.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/11/2019 5:15 AM

It's worth remembering that if someone is insanely good their first run might be warming up/taking it easy to them but it looks like they're sending it to you. Like a guy that can do a 720 double whip might show up at the skatepark and start with a 3 whip; now that's pretty insane to most people, but to someone on that level it's childs play. I rode with Dan Paley a while back and one of the first things he did was a 540 flyout to backwards manual to full cab... It's all about perspective.

Heal up dude

|

2/11/2019 7:02 AM

When sending it goes wrong. I've learned from many a tweaked spine to just take it easy for the first 10 mins of a session. I loosen up on the ride to the spot/park, start out with manuals, 180s, banked wall rides, feebles, etc.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/11/2019 9:42 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

When sending it goes wrong. I've learned from many a tweaked spine to just take it easy for the first 10 mins of a session. I loosen up on the ride to the spot/park, start out with manuals, 180s, banked wall rides, feebles, etc.

This is about what I do as well...not that I am "sending it" when I ride, but I am trying to regain my jump/air skills, and I can't do that right off the bat.

Plus, if the park is populated, doing smaller stuff lets me feel out the vibe at the park: where are the scooter kids hanging...check...avoid that area. Which guys are trying legit stuff...check...watch them, see their lines, and then don't snake them or get in the way

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

2/11/2019 11:03 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

This is about what I do as well...not that I am "sending it" when I ride, but I am trying to regain my jump/air skills, and I can't do that right off the bat.

Plus, if the park is populated, doing smaller stuff lets me feel out the vibe at the park: where are the scooter kids hanging...check...avoid that area. Which guys are trying legit stuff...check...watch them, see their lines, and then don't snake them or get in the way

Long time, no see! Good to hear you're still riding!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/11/2019 12:41 PM

I usually mess around with silly stuff until I've loosened up a bit, then continue to mess around with silly stuff.

|

2/11/2019 12:45 PM

I usually warm up with some feeble grinds or cruising around on some banks. I never feel 100% on my bike when I first jump on it.

|

2/11/2019 8:34 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Long time, no see! Good to hear you're still riding!

thanks man!! I battle manic depression - have all my life - and have been in one of my "Darknesses" for the past 2-3 months. I have not been feeling real social until recently. I just have to sometimes hole up and battle my demons. I lurk the site to help me keep touch with stuff I like, but when I am in my moods, I generally don't like to reply. But, biking and music help me get through it. I have a big episode like this about every 3 years.

Glad to see a lot of the usual suspects still here as well!!!

....I am riding my MTB in the snow right now!! But will hit the parks here in about a month when the weather decides on letting them be ridable. Also, will hopefully be getting my new BMX this spring now that the wedding is over and payed for.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

2/12/2019 9:22 AM

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I forgot to mention I have been fully recovered for a while now and am free of concussion. Anyway thank you all.

|