The plan

Related:
Create New Tag

11/21/2017 4:50 PM

OK so I plan on changing a few things on my bike.
I am changing frames this Christmas and then buying a back wheel shortly after.
The questions I have are:
When I replace my tires should I use a fly ruben up front and an S&M mainline in the rear or ruben front and rear?
And what are some good 160-165mm cranks in a 19 or 22mm spindle?

|

Hmmm

11/21/2017 5:06 PM

If you're looking for 22mm cranks I have the Shadow Conspiracy Killer Cranks and I love them! I think they come in 160mm-165mm....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/21/2017 5:47 PM

Profile cranks go all the way down to something crazy like 145, if I remember correctly.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/21/2017 8:26 PM

Thunderbolts!

|

11/21/2017 8:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2017 8:36 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Thunderbolts!

Yes or these, Thunderbolts are also good...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/21/2017 8:52 PM

I have Ruben's front and back and they're great all around tires. Have profile 165mm race cranks and I also recommend (lifetime warranty) them. Mainline is one of my favorite tires as well but only up front

|

@coupd_tat

11/21/2017 11:10 PM

The mainline has a pretty aggressive tread, I'd say it's a front only tyre, even if all you ride is trails.
Why do you want such short cranks? Are you 4' tall?

|

11/22/2017 12:12 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The mainline has a pretty aggressive tread, I'd say it's a front only tyre, even if all you ride is trails.
Why do you want ...more

Isn't that what everyone is riding right now?

|

11/22/2017 12:35 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Why do you want ...more

The 2.1 mainline and the 2.4 mainline have a different tread design for front and rear, is the 2.1 still a very aggressive tread?
And Im 6' tall but guess I just want to have trendy short cranks haha. I have rode a set of pride street cranks in 165 and they felt good though so fitting them won't be an issue.

|

Hmmm

11/22/2017 5:16 AM

I think I'm going to go for odyssey cranks. Is there really much difference between the calibur and the thunderbolts except for the wedge? Because I like the look of the caliburs more but obviously if there is a good reason to get the thunderbolts instead then I will.

|

Hmmm

11/22/2017 6:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2017 6:07 AM

Thuderbolts are easier to deal with, you dont have to line anything up. Crank wobble will never develop because of the design. They are 2 peice, one side is welded on so you never have to worry about that loosening. 1 bolt to tighten. Super hollow axle, lightweight. The arms have a nice taper to save weight and rounded off edges in case you hit your ankles on them.

|

11/22/2017 2:20 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Thuderbolts are easier to deal with, you dont have to line anything up. Crank wobble will never develop because of the design. ...more

The thunderbolts It probably is then!

|

Hmmm

11/22/2017 2:36 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Why do you want ...more

Edman123 wrote:

The 2.1 mainline and the 2.4 mainline have a different tread design for front and rear, is the 2.1 still a very aggressive ...more

Yeah, I used to have a 2.10 up front, it's definitely a dirt tyre. Have a look at fit faf's if you can find em. The 2.25 have a slightly more aggressive tread than the other sizes, but that's what I use front and back.

I really can't imagine short cranks feeling good, if anything I'd rather get longer cranks myself

|

11/22/2017 3:04 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Why do you want ...more

Edman123 wrote:

The 2.1 mainline and the 2.4 mainline have a different tread design for front and rear, is the 2.1 still a very aggressive ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah, I used to have a 2.10 up front, it's definitely a dirt tyre. Have a look at fit faf's if you can find em. The 2.25 have ...more

I'll have a look at fafs I've heard they're quite good. But if I can't find any I'll probably use rubens for both if it fits in my frame.
And I think that things like geometry and cranks is just what you're used to. I don't notice tiny things like one half link of chain like you have mentioned in other threads so I don't see any problem adapting to shorter.

|

Hmmm