The problem with BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2021 12:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2021 2:19 AM

What do you think it is ?

I think it’s the problem that talented riders like Vince Byron who just defeated a legend like Jamie bestwick multiple times got completely overshadowed by Mat Hoffman not being involved in a contest , there was a vert ramp , I think some riders have their head up their own ass too much and aren’t in it for the competitive exhibition of the game and progression of the sport and are in it for their own pockets, instead of to live to ride in hope to get the next generation stoked on BMX ….. and ya know what I think that’s bullshit , you want to play woke sheep in The crowd that’s fine , let’s start this shit show of a thread with your opinion ?

So let’s argue and get pissed off and make our Points

Throw it out there

There’s far too many people who and bottle that shit up inside
(they turn into ass kissing yes men who never achieve their dreams)

|

7/17/2021 12:25 AM

Posers wearing thrasher shirts, smoking weed half of their session, whose best trick after 15 years of riding is crank flip, telling you that guys like Logan Martin have no style and are a disgrace to the "spirit" of BMX.

|

7/17/2021 12:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2021 12:48 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I think it’s the problem that talented riders like Vince Byron who just defeated a legend like ...more

Lol

Edit: just read it again. More lol.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

7/17/2021 6:15 AM

At the end of the day....injuries. Injuries are definitely a problem.

|

7/17/2021 6:34 AM

You know one thing I like about BMX is I’m to new to know WTF you guys are going on about half the time. I personally don’t think you can judge something like BMX fairly . Literally every aspect is subjective. I’m definitely not against comps just don’t think it makes sense at times

|

7/17/2021 7:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2021 4:49 AM

lack of an ambassador...someone ho can push forward the enjoyment of BMX to a large audience, someone like kevin peraza who just rode in street, ramp, and dirt comps and has that always happy and smiling attitude would be perfect to attract a wider audience

i think the freestyle side should mesh more with racing, get kids racing early which a lot of times then translates into them riding for the rest of their life and learning bike control early which helps them when they transition into freestyle

barrier to entry, the price of quality products is expensive, if someone got their first bike with the only money they had and not long into riding broke a part and then couldn't replace it, it's a bummer...you break a skateboard and it's not a huge deal, you crack some cranks or a frame and your out some cash pretty quickly

riders not respecting other riders...like someone said people will hate on logan martin, why not appreciate what he does, even if your not into it?

and people worrying about what others think...ride your bike and have fun, i'm about to go on a solo street mission...throw on a podcast and just enjoy the outdoors

The problem I see with many sports or activities…just because someone is better does not mean they know more or their opinions are any more valid than someone else’s…putting someone’s valid opinion down simply because you think you are a better rider rather than discussing the opinion is just a cop out when you have no real justification for not liking something or someone

|

7/17/2021 7:45 AM

Dont know what led up to Hoffman's company not being the ambassador. Though I do think he should have been notified, we do not know the full story. They have been doing it for 25 years, and running comps for longer. They kept the sport alive for many years , especially with their early infamous B.S. contests.

With that being said, just an observation...Hoffman Bikes has been on a decline for many, many years. They didnt update anything until their last drop of re-issue frames and parts. Hoffman at one point had a heavy list of team riders. Now it consists of Kimborough, Wade and Dave Psycho Halford's son...

It was a bit annoying seeing Skateboard Vert best trick and them allowing Tony Hawk to skate because he felt like it(and said skate vert was dying). The same can be said for BMX vert.

IMO, either they cut ties with the HSA because they were sick of things not getting done or they wanted to cut ties to cut out the price of a middle man.

Remember, Hoffman never pushed for BMX to be in the Olympics, insiders were saying because he would not have control of the athletes. Which is fair, but unfortunately due to politics; set back a couple other rider advocacy groups in the process. He is not the only group out there. For example, less known is Dennis McCoy's company. There are a few European company's as well, more notably Stu who ran backyard Jams, etc.

Also, Hoffman indirectly and unintentionally killed Vert. He pushed for Big Air and took riders out of the Vert pool who would just focus on Big Air. Also, look at the Nitro Circus circus...they are emulating the X games and breeding a specific type of rider. He obv never to do it, but i just dont see Vert coming back like 98, unless Big Air stops progressing or they make the Vert Ramp smaller.

I love Hoffman too, im not bashing him at all, just making observations.

|

7/17/2021 9:08 AM

Will someone please give me a quick synopsis of the whole Hoffman/Xgames beef? I must have been asleep for that one.

|

7/17/2021 10:41 AM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Will someone please give me a quick synopsis of the whole Hoffman/Xgames beef? I must have been asleep for that one.

I could be completely wrong but I think they used to ask Hoffman who he recommended for invites to the games and this year they ghosted him

|

7/17/2021 11:00 AM

The bike itself is a limiting factor for the growth of BMX, especially in younger generations who are also considering skateboards or scooters.

1. Compared to skateboards the “buy-in” for a BMX is significantly higher.
2. The mechanical aptitude or desire to work on a bike does not appeal to everyone. Every aspect of your bike has specific elements that need to be “dialed in” and measured to the mm.

The younger me: Building a pro-level BMX vs a pro level skateboard requires money that I don’t have and an engineering degree.

|

7/17/2021 12:47 PM

Things that are wrong with BMX.. (my opinions)

1)Not enough time in most people's schedules to ride like they really want to..

2)Weather dependent, seems when I do have time the weather goes to shit.

3)Needs more girl riders, so much so, that some male riders feel they can help fill that void by changing their pronouns.

4) Woke fuckers watering down and dulling a "hard core vibe" that's been in place since the 1970s.

Shoot me

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

7/17/2021 1:07 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Things that are wrong with BMX.. (my opinions)

1)Not enough time in most people's schedules to ride like they really want ...more

Your 1 and 2 describe my major frustration.

|

7/17/2021 1:44 PM

vagabond wrote:

The bike itself is a limiting factor for the growth of BMX, especially in younger generations who are also considering ...more

I don't think the bike itself is a limiting factor. They're so simple it's ridiculous now (and relatively cheap for what you're getting). Younger me had to contend with loose ball bearings, cups, and poorly manufactured parts. Now you can throw a bike together with a couple of allen keys, and anyone that hasn't got the patience to learn that sure as shit ain't got the patience to learn to kickflip a skateboard (maybe why 80% of skaters I see now can't kickflip and just roll around pushing mongo thinking they're cool).

I don't think there's anything wrong with BMX. Maybe money going to the wrong people based on image and marketing rather than actually caring about BMX? Most of what's happening in BMX has happened throughout BMX history though. Just concentrate on what you like about it and stop giving a fuck?

|

7/17/2021 2:14 PM

.pegless. wrote:

I don't think the bike itself is a limiting factor. They're so simple it's ridiculous now (and relatively cheap for what ...more

I agree with the simplicity relative to older bikes...but even the process of installing a bottom bracket vs press for skateboard bearings is more difficult.

The money is definitely not there in modern BMX. It is a really underfunded which I think has stifled creativity, especially from an innovation standpoint.

|

7/17/2021 11:18 PM

vagabond wrote:

The bike itself is a limiting factor for the growth of BMX, especially in younger generations who are also considering ...more

.pegless. wrote:

I don't think the bike itself is a limiting factor. They're so simple it's ridiculous now (and relatively cheap for what ...more

vagabond wrote:

I agree with the simplicity relative to older bikes...but even the process of installing a bottom bracket vs press for ...more

Yeah, picking up a skateboard is a lot easier and cheaper. Personally, fixing and building bikes is a huge part of the enjoyment for me.

I think the market is over saturated. And everyone is just churning out whatever works without pushing things. But, where else can it go? There's already been a lot of innovation over the years. Lots of trends, failed ideas etc. And pushing it anymore will cost a lot of money. It's so much easier for brands to steal ideas or follow current trends. Or just bulk order stuff picked from a catalogue and rebrand it. It would get even more expensive if brands started investing loads into rnd.
The only way I can see it evolving would be if all the cookie cutter brands disappear

|

7/17/2021 11:48 PM

peepeepoopoo who cares

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

7/18/2021 3:43 AM

Frames. They are too heavy and expensive and manufacturers get away with it because they perpetuate the idea that frames are a necessary component of a BMX bike. #frameless

|

7/18/2021 7:04 AM

Unpopular opinion: scotty cranmers cringey bmx vlogs

|

7/18/2021 7:35 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Yeah, picking up a skateboard is a lot easier and cheaper. Personally, fixing and building bikes is a huge part of the ...more

Pretty much this. Between 2000 and 2010 innovation was at an all time high. My bike has barely changed in the last 10 years and that's mostly because there's been little need to do so. Bikes are still light, strong, simple, and relatively affordable. Aside from using really exotic and expensive materials there doesn't appear to be a lot of room for innovation. Maybe freecoaster tech might continue to grow but that's largely dependent on what people like to ride. Freecoasters may phase out and everyone might return to cassettes and straight cables.

|

7/18/2021 9:12 AM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Pretty much this. Between 2000 and 2010 innovation was at an all time high. My bike has barely changed in the last 10 years ...more

This a TLDR. Note: I agree with a lot of what pegless and BowlDoggin have said. Ultimately, I LOVE building and working on bikes. The technical/mechanical aspect is part of the fun. From a selfish perspective, eskimojays original question of “what’s wrong with BMX” is kind of superfluous for me: nothing is wrong with it. I love it and it is a great escape from my busy adult life. Just wish that my schedule and the weather were on the same page. I also wish that I could do the same large drops and recover like I could in my teens/20’s, but no one has ever beaten Father Time, he is all-time undefeated.

Done with my disclaimer. I feel that my current setup is my “forever” bike. I couldn’t be happier with every single component on it. But...

1. Perhaps I’ve just had this beaten into me for the past 15 years, but I think there is always room for innovation...there is no such thing as an optimum solution and there is always room for improvement. That being said, it appears that the “new school” phase has plateaued. But there is still room for linear/incremental changes in products in order to meet rider needs.

Example: I really don’t understand why some companies continue to make sharp edges on crank spindle bosses. Unless you are willing to buy a 24mm spindle (e.g. BSD Substance V2 or Fit Blunts) there is a really poor selection of cranks on the market. After basically walking around with open wounds due to my Merritt Battles, I eventually just ground down/rounded my spindle bosses. Brands should be doing this, rather than amateur machinists...while I love my modified cranks, I guarantee I voided the warranty.

2. To dovetail on my first point: if innovation has plateaued, then prices should not increase, but rather go down. Look around your home, specifically at items that were once highly innovative but are now considered commoditized (flat screen TVs, etc). As companies meet their ROI/PBP to cover R&D overhead, prices should go down, not up. This is to appeal to a wider demographic and convert a niche market segment into a high-volume “cash cow”. The high volume sales of cash cow products fund the R&D of continued innovation.

“But costs of steel and aluminum have increased”. So what? This is a manufacturing/company problem...not something that customers should have to worry about. I want to buy a bike part, don’t really feel like checking the index of the commodity exchange as part of my purchasing process.

3. Points 1 and 2 sound kind of “businessy”, right? This is a business. I’m 40. The owners of major brands are either my age or older....which is why I am not giving any brand a pass of “dude just ride your bike, we’re good enough”. A customer of ANY product should be excited for the newest product drop.

4. Brand saturation...absolutely. Which is why brands like Little Devil, Mutiny, and Bone Deth are no longer in the game. They were more focused on marketing than differentiating their actual products from larger more established BMX brands.

5. It pains me to say this, because the 14 year old in me still loves the non-corporate feel of BMX, but the market needs a Nike to get into the BMX game if it is to grow. Higher innovation due to a larger /higher paid engineering “bench”, established supplier relationships/negotiating leverage (lower cost components), and economies of scale from a manufacturing side could really inject some energy into the market. If Nike were smart, they would buy S&M/Fit and own as a subsidiary.

|

7/18/2021 10:44 AM

Roberto_Jordan wrote:

Frames. They are too heavy and expensive and manufacturers get away with it because they perpetuate the idea that frames are a ...more

This man knows what’s up.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

7/18/2021 3:07 PM

I think the only thing "wrong" with BMX is it never got it's big break. BMX had spurts of popularity here and there but seems to of never leaped into the limelight.

Consider that just before Tony Hawk Pro skater became huge, Inline Skating was actually the most popular and lucrative action sport, kids were buying roller blades like no other in the early-mid 90s, Soap Shoes were created, Dustin Latimer was a god and Pro Inline skaters were dropping videos full of Money flaunting, making out with girls, driving nice cars-but then as if overnight Aggressive Inline just died out and before you could blink THPS was the shit and so was riding a skateboard, people worshipped Chad Muska and everyone wanted a Baker deck with Spitfires that they'd carry by the trucks while walking through the mall to go buy some PacSun or Zumiez clothes.

There things stayed until the mid 2010s, because the "trendy" phase lasted so long and it got more exposure; more people came out the other end with an actual interest in skateboarding and thus we have more skateboarders.

It's a crapshoot, yeah the price of a BMX and maintainence can be a turn off but what about aggressive inline? A pair of skates costs about the same as a Custom Complete skateboard($100-$180), you don't have to learn the mysterious Ollie and they're easy to work on (the same reasons here are why the female rollerskate scene is booming and they're progressing it fast) so what gives?

Skateboarding got lucky, people's decided it was cooler, easier, more accessible etc. Aggressive Inline had a slice of limelight and it didn't stick, BMX had an even smaller slice of the limelight and has progressed kinda slowly.

A BMX is attractive to younger people because most kids and preteens know how to ride a Bicycle, but to be flying through the air: spinning, whipping and flying on a bicycle seems so unreal that you HAVE to figure out how it's done and wonder if you can do it yourself. Until that feeling, that wonder is put in front of the eyes of the majority then BMX will always be small. They can watch x games and see riders fly and do tricks but we need to captures the wonder of "Oh I can do that on a BMX?" And project it into the minds of the public, I think only then will BMX be sling shot into one of the more popular action sports.

|

7/18/2021 3:29 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

I think the only thing "wrong" with BMX is it never got it's big break. BMX had spurts of popularity here and there but seems ...more

You’re not wrong...I can still remember sitting on the couch with my girlfriend and watching Tony Hawk try over and over again to complete a 900 at the X-Games. It was awesome. THPS was a classic example of art imitating life—>life imitating art. was hard to play and not want to start trying stuff.

|

7/18/2021 6:26 PM

If you think somethings wrong with BMX you’re wrong. Don’t matter what’s going on as long as you can jump on your bike and ride

|

7/18/2021 7:48 PM

vagabond wrote:

This a TLDR. Note: I agree with a lot of what pegless and BowlDoggin have said. Ultimately, I LOVE building and working on ...more

Little devil came back and bonedeth never left

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

7/18/2021 7:54 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Little devil came back and bonedeth never left

True...to clarify: their presence as viable BMX component manufacturing companies are not what they once were. They have marketing presences now and bone deth appears to be rolling out the hits of its older product...but I would consider neither of them leading the charge regarding a significant manufacturing presence.

|

7/18/2021 11:24 PM

vagabond wrote:

True...to clarify: their presence as viable BMX component manufacturing companies are not what they once were. They have ...more

Little Devil never made components though.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

7/19/2021 12:15 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Little Devil never made components though.

I’ll concede. While the majority of effort/investment in the BMX market has gone to marketing, invoking Little Devil’s brief departure was an unfit example.

Again, from a selfish perspective, I don’t have any concerns with BMX...I can buy parts and ride (time/weather permitting), which is all I want or need. But if I look at the growth of the sport in general, it feels lost, with a disconnect between bringing in younger riders and the companies that provide the equipment to actually ride.

Pretty sure this is not an extraordinary opinion...blaaaaaaa: you commented in a separate rim thread that BMX rims “suck”. You have real LBS experience and from your video you ride hard AF. So what makes them suck? It’s not like companies have not had time or adequate opportunity to produce something that justifies almost $100 per rim, right?

|

7/19/2021 4:25 AM

vagabond wrote:

Also keeps the shit out. So whats wrong with that.

|

Husky Nation Member

7/19/2021 4:32 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I think it’s the problem that talented riders like Vince Byron who just defeated a legend like ...more

Always hate it when people say that riders are in it for the money. You realize that when you ride bikes for a living that is the only place your getting income from? Kinda hard to keep living your "dream" if your broke as shit. The name of the game is to make money otherwise whats the point? It goes hand in hand. Make money to stay on the bike everyday.

|

Husky Nation Member