The set stealth cranks/ crank length?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2013 2:02 PM

I want the set stealth cranks and I'm pretty set on them. Should I get 165mm lengthen? Someone please go in depth about the length? I feel like no one is gonna answer except topsey and hell right 3 pages, aha. Which would be appreciated.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

7/17/2013 2:19 PM

What happen to Akimbo's? I'm 5'10" and I had 165mm Bitchins' they felt way short.

|

RIP 71 N
RIP Randy Taylor

Shadow/Subrosa

Tumblr | Instagram | Digits - (407) 655-6998 | Email - kyzem.leahcim@yahoo.com | Xbox - eleswun

7/17/2013 2:22 PM

Me? wrote:

What happen to Akimbo's? I'm 5'10" and I had 165mm Bitchins' they felt way short.

Really want these stealth cranks. Not every part I buy has to be animal, aha.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

7/17/2013 2:37 PM

It's a bit hard to explain... Basically the easiest way to describe it. Stand with your feet wider apart forwards way & try to jump, the closer your feet are together, the easier it is to jump. So with shorter cranks the theory is its easier to hop, also as your feet are closer together also the theory is its easier to spin. There is a trade of for easier hops & spins though. If you want to haul ass you're gunna have a problem with shorter cranks because there is less length to really put the torque down. With your style of street riding i am pretty sure you wont need to worry about really hauling ass though. Once again though, there are no "magical" parts that will make you a better rider. I'm trying to think of a better way to explain it haha. In short it should make hops & spins a little easier. Those The Set Cranks are pretty damn nice actually, the pedal bosses are pretty dreamy when it comes to cranks lol! I'm a little put off by the holes in the Crank Arms though BUT... The guy who owns The Set guarantees if they were to crack as a result of the holes he will replace the Cranks & hook you up with some The Set Goodies as an apology for the hassle of warrantying them!

|

7/17/2013 2:39 PM

Topsey wrote:

It's a bit hard to explain... Basically the easiest way to describe it. Stand with your feet wider apart forwards way & try to jump, the closer your feet are together, the easier it is to jump. So with shorter cranks the theory is its easier to hop, also as your feet are closer together also the theory is its easier to spin. There is a trade of for easier hops & spins though. If you want to haul ass you're gunna have a problem with shorter cranks because there is less length to really put the torque down. With your style of street riding i am pretty sure you wont need to worry about really hauling ass though. Once again though, there are no "magical" parts that will make you a better rider. I'm trying to think of a better way to explain it haha. In short it should make hops & spins a little easier. Those The Set Cranks are pretty damn nice actually, the pedal bosses are pretty dreamy when it comes to cranks lol! I'm a little put off by the holes in the Crank Arms though BUT... The guy who owns The Set guarantees if they were to crack as a result of the holes he will replace the Cranks & hook you up with some The Set Goodies as an apology for the hassle of warrantying them!

So would 170s be best of both worlds?

|

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

7/17/2013 2:47 PM

Pretty much haha. I'll be sticking with 170mms. I've ridden Cranks from 160mm to 175mm. They all have there own advantages but yeah 170mms are pretty much the best.

|

7/17/2013 2:55 PM

Topsey wrote:

I've been wondering... does crank length affect stability in the air? I've been riding trails a lot more often now and I've been wondering whether my 175 Redlines or 170 Powerbites would feel better in theory. Don't want to go to the trouble of trying them both haha.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

7/17/2013 3:09 PM

The cranks look dope if it wasn't for the pointless and un unaesthetic cutouts.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

7/17/2013 3:13 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I've been wondering... does crank length affect stability in the air? I've been riding trails a lot more often now and I've been wondering whether my 175 Redlines or 170 Powerbites would feel better in theory. Don't want to go to the trouble of trying them both haha.

How that i am afraid i cannot answer. I honestly have no idea & have no personal experience as Trails scare the living bejesus out of me laughing

|

7/17/2013 3:23 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

My theory is that longer cranks would be more stable, almost the same effect as a lower BB. It's hard to explain but it kind of spreads you across more of the bike if that makes sense? I'm no expert tho mate

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.
I got refs

7/17/2013 4:15 PM

165 mm seems too short. I prefer 175. And cs length is a stupid excuse. I ride a btm and used to have a wifi, rode both with 175mm cranks no prob. Just tilt your foot forward a bit. I ride what's comfortable regardless of trade offs and advantages/disadvantages

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/17/2013 4:17 PM

Topsey wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Stay with 175 or bigger. Cranks work like cs length. Longer is more stable where as short is a bit more on the tech/tweaky side. That's why racers tend to run 175+. And if course the obvious torque advantage lol

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/17/2013 4:26 PM

I want the short because I like responsive and tech. I'm atleast getting 170.

|

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

7/17/2013 4:40 PM

FreddyDapice wrote:

I want the short because I like responsive and tech. I'm atleast getting 170.

responsive and tech? Get a frame with a 75.5 ht, 24 offset forks and 13inch rear end...talk about responsive!! Im ccurrently riding this with 175mm cranks and have no problems.. I feel if you cant do something with 175mm cranks, you wont be able to do it 165mm.. The difference is performance will mot likely be so minimal. I have 165 cranks on my flat setup and to ride those on street would be horrible..feels weird when pedaling long distances as well.

To each their own, ride what you like...either way with riding it daily you'll adapt and get used to it. Remember to, Im 6'4 so 175mm cranks may comparable in foot distance to a shorter person running 165..

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

7/17/2013 6:20 PM

I love the feel of my 165mm cranks and im 6ft. I switched a couple of months ago and while the 175mm ones weren't "bad", i felt nothing but advantages when i switched to 165. Spins like 360's felt more solid because my legs being closer to the seat allowed me to feel locked in with the bike. As for hops i didn't really notice a change, they stayed about the same. Im also not really into bars but i've heard people say they've helped for stability when doing those too. I mean if you're buying new cranks anyways i'd definitely suggest going with at least 165 or 170. At first they will feel a little different but after a couple of weeks you don't even notice.

|

7/17/2013 8:29 PM

Aren't the set cranks the stupid ones with 3 fucking big holes in the side of each arm

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

7/17/2013 11:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2013 11:48 PM

It's 10 millimeters guys, be realistic, while you may feel a slight difference, it won't affect you as much as you think. Given 165 did feel short, it didn't affect my riding positively or negatively.

P.s. Freddy, I know, you just seemed pretty stoked on Akimbo's a couple weeks ago...

|

RIP 71 N
RIP Randy Taylor

Shadow/Subrosa

Tumblr | Instagram | Digits - (407) 655-6998 | Email - kyzem.leahcim@yahoo.com | Xbox - eleswun

7/17/2013 11:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2013 12:01 AM

Me? wrote:

It's 10 millimeters guys, be realistic, while you may feel a slight difference, it won't affect you as much as you think. Given 165 did feel short, it didn't affect my riding positively or negatively.

P.s. Freddy, I know, you just seemed pretty stoked on Akimbo's a couple weeks ago...

He saw a pic where someone broke a crank arm, I think. . But I would not go to cranks with lightening holes in them as a next choice personally, haha.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/18/2013 12:01 AM

Chuck8273 wrote:

He saw a pic where someone broke a crank arm, I think. . But I would not go to cranks with lightening holes in them as a next choice personally, haha.

Yea, they look nice, but the holes are kinda silly.

|

RIP 71 N
RIP Randy Taylor

Shadow/Subrosa

7/18/2013 12:12 AM

I've ridden with one of the guys from the set and I didn't notice which cranks he was running but Calvin is a boss when it comes to big street.

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

7/18/2013 12:22 AM

Gump wrote:

I've ridden with one of the guys from the set and I didn't notice which cranks he was running but Calvin is a boss when it comes to big street.

It comes down to preference mostly, and I'm just too big and old to trust some crank arms with holes in them that I didn't make myself. If I designed them and built them, I would totally trust them because they would still be the strongest on the market, and the holes would be chamfered to add strength while decreasing weight. If holes are done properly, the part is actually stronger when the holes are added, believe it or not. If you doubt what I'm saying, go look at some old aircraft and check out the structure.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/18/2013 12:25 AM

Me? wrote:

Silly yes, but The Set says that if you break them due to the holes in them, they'll hook you & a friend up with a parts package and even replace the cranks. They're pretty confident in them haha

http://www.thesetbmx.com/products/new-stealth/

|

7/18/2013 12:32 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Silly yes, but The Set says that if you break them due to the holes in them, they'll hook you & a friend up with a parts package and even replace the cranks. They're pretty confident in them haha

Well that IS interesting! That is a warranty worth testing out, haha. If that is all legit, I stand corrected in my skepticism.

|

7/18/2013 5:13 AM

Well I still love the akimbos, but I've wanted the sets forever and now they ship to America for $6.

|

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

7/18/2013 5:19 AM

Chuck8273 wrote:

Me? wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I would ask for a pair without the hole haha.
I feel like those hole are completely unnecessary and don't look good, but whatever floats your boat.

|

7/18/2013 5:24 AM

If they didn't have the holes I bet everyone would say "ugh they're just another pair of catalog part cranks, get profiles instead."

|

7/18/2013 5:27 AM

brianoob wrote:

If they didn't have the holes I bet everyone would say "ugh they're just another pair of catalog part cranks, get profiles instead."

Not at all.
Those cranks look pretty good shape wise IMO.
And don't look like profiles at all.

|