They're Flatspin 540s not Flairs!

Related:
Create New Tag

11/6/2013 11:03 PM

Yes, I'm talking to you Chad Kagy! After viewing BMX competitions from years back to the present I've noticed that originally some of Chad kagy's so-called flairs, tailwhip flairs especially, used to be called what they truly are which is a 540 flatspin or 540 flatspin taillwhip obviously depending if there's a tailwhip involved. As the years progressed this exact same trick seemed to somehow masquerade itself as a flair or flair tailwhip instead of 540 flatspin. I mean for christ sakes he doesn't even go upside down so how is that a flair! I guess basically the point of this rant is to ask if anyone else agree's with me that announcers should return to calling this trick by it's proper name and if anyone knows of anyone else who does this second 'style' of flair. One that comes to mind is Daniel Sandoval because his flair tailwhips seems to be rather flat as opposed to upside down, however I could be mistaken.

|

11/6/2013 11:09 PM

i saw that on the vital game of bike a while back. the only real flair he did was at woodward on resi,and it was sketchy.

|

just huck it

11/6/2013 11:11 PM

Expose Kagy!

|

11/7/2013 5:47 AM

A ton of people "flair" like that, seems like most street riders who flair do it that way

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

11/7/2013 10:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2013 11:00 AM

This has come about since the "Barrel Roll style" that appeared back when Mirra was still on Haro and battled Bestwick in Vert EVERY contest. Who the hell cares?

It is still ridiculous, especially if it is done on the big air 18 foot tall ramp. Chad Kagy, even at his older age is still and will always be a DAMN good rider.

By that logic a slightly off axis flip could be a dipped as hell 360. In Square one wide awake nightmare Mike Aitken does a "downside footplant 360" over a spine, looks like a flip footplant on the wall next to the spine. Shall we argue what it actually is because of a few degrees difference in the angle of the approach?

Find other things to do besides analyzing the living shit out of tricks to nitpick.

Actually, let's nitpick on 99% of the street riders out there, if you land on your crank arms for ANYTHING, it is sketchy. This goes for whips, bars, whatever. Not a clean landing, so it doesn't count. Right?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/7/2013 11:21 AM

I bunny hop better than I J-hop.

|

11/7/2013 3:47 PM

Where the fuck did this lame ass j hop term come from.....kagy is a beast so good

|

11/7/2013 4:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2013 4:33 PM

Nitpicking? Nitpicking to me is more like the debate over whether someone pulled a 360 backflip or cork 720. Yes, of course Chad kagy is a beast and one of the best in the world and really is at no fault for this inconsistency. Personally I fault the competition organisers such as ESPN for example. Why you ask? Well because as late as x-games 2006 or so kagys style of 'flair' was called a 540 flatspin. Proof: 2006 xgames vert best trick kagy 540 flatspin double tailwhip As you see there, back then the announcers called it by its proper name a 540 flatspin double tailwhip. However, if he had pulled that same trick at this years xgames it would have been called a flair double tailwhip. If you read the comments at that link you can humour yourself to see that they are having the same debate over what that trick really is that we're having here.

|

11/7/2013 9:00 PM

He can do both. So deal with it. Rant over

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/8/2013 6:31 AM

I just hate it when you tell somebody your doing a trick wrong and they say"well can you do it?" and you say "no" and then their like "then don't talk shit"

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

11/11/2013 11:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2013 11:45 AM

Yeah, rant over. However, I have amusingly just discovered the whole "two different flairs thing" has also hit the dirt bike scene now that the boys over thier have recently brought flairs to FMX, off of actual quarter pipes may I point out. With a guy like Fred Johansson AMAZINGLY in my opinion, pulling true BMX style flairs (180 backflip) and others like Thomas Pages pulling the Chad Kagy style flair, which is still amazing nontheless.

|

11/12/2013 1:03 PM

bigfootlives wrote:

Nitpicking? Nitpicking to me is more like the debate over whether someone pulled a 360 backflip or cork 720. Yes, of course Chad kagy is a beast and one of the best in the world and really is at no fault for this inconsistency. Personally I fault the competition organisers such as ESPN for example. Why you ask? Well because as late as x-games 2006 or so kagys style of 'flair' was called a 540 flatspin. Proof: 2006 xgames vert best trick kagy 540 flatspin double tailwhip As you see there, back then the announcers called it by its proper name a 540 flatspin double tailwhip. However, if he had pulled that same trick at this years xgames it would have been called a flair double tailwhip. If you read the comments at that link you can humour yourself to see that they are having the same debate over what that trick really is that we're having here.

It is nitpicking because no one else seems to really give a shit aside from you.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/13/2013 11:50 AM

Any guys on here do flatspin 540s or flairs? I've got 540s on lock I wouldn't mind getting them inverted any tips?

|

11/15/2013 12:54 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Any guys on here do flatspin 540s or flairs? I've got 540s on lock I wouldn't mind getting them inverted any tips?

Best thing I was told was to pull back more and less sideways to invert more.

Not sure how well it would work though.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/15/2013 1:46 PM

talking shit about other people while you probably can't do either of em

|

don't overthink it just do it !