Think I've lost it....

Related:
Create New Tag

8/29/2016 4:15 PM

Quoted msg I sent in a group I am in.

I may as well stop riding, I'm always wanting to change my setups and paint shit and move between park and street and whatnot, I watch an Alex Donnachie Video, I wanna throw on a coaster, I watch a 90 East Video I wanna run Bob Bars and a FL, I watch a Jay Dalton webisode with Ricky Veronick and I want a light af bike with gyro and 120 psi KHE's

Maybe I may have just lost my direction, maybe not, idk

There was msg's before and after that but anyway, I went for a cruise and felt bad about myself and my riding... I've been basing all my stuff on how other people ride, I used to just look at shit my own way but that got taken over by all this other bullshit, I even got a POV cam just because of trying to do GoPro type videos like Billy Perry

Honestly feel like I am wasting my time on a bike now. I also will be doing what I can to get a job when I get back to Oregon in under a week so that just fuels my idea to stop riding.... When I first started I hardly even payed attention to youtube, until I discovered a bunch of bmx videos on the site, like the 2008 Mutiny Street Video, Aaron Ross's Grounded Section, a Levi's Bmx Montage video, the Levis video with Nathan Williams / Dak / and Corey Martinez. And many more.

Riding now just seems pointless to me because it's like I don't even try to try and ride how I want to ride...

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

8/29/2016 5:35 PM

No one can make you enjoy riding. You gotta figure out what's fun for you and do that. If you do stop riding keep your bike for a while, you will probably want to pick it up again at some point.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

8/29/2016 6:07 PM

here is a different angle that might help:

I am 47. I quit riding BMX in 1990 because many different things "talked me out of it"...life, boredom, mountain biking, college, people telling me that BMXing was "for kids", etc. I literally lived on my bike from age 7 to 21...

there were very few days that went by that I did not think about riding, but then "made excuses" as to why I shouldn't. The only truly legit excuse were the years where I was living in my van, or on peoples couches...being poor is a huge life-check.

About 10 years ago, I got back into mountain biking to get out of a depression i was in. I also was cleaning out my parents basement and found my old BMX bike...and fell right back in love. In the past 2 years, my step-son has gotten into it, and i am now riding at least 3 times a week.

In hindsight, i wish i HAD NOT lost so much time, and skills, on my bike. You are going to have to find the right motivation for yourself, but remember that you can't get back time. And that loss of time is now one of the more powerful things that keeps me going. I used to be able to jump picnic tables, and ride manuals for miles...now I can barely clear a pop can standing up, and am slowly getting back lost balance....but I am doing it! And I am doing it to impress myself, and no one else. I also can launch out of a quarter pipe...which I was never able to do back then....I am working on 180's, fakies....

Don't be scared of taking time off...it can refresh your outlook on the activity. But in the same way, make sure you leave, or take a break, for the right reasons! All of those guys on Youtube are the minority...most people don't ride like that. Just like everythign else in our society, we assume that the ONLY yardstick we can use to measure our success is the one that is the biggest, fastest, and loudest. Create your own definition of success and then aim for it. I can barely clear that pop can now...but 2 months ago, I couldn't even do that...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

8/29/2016 6:40 PM

The difference between a kid biker and adult biker:

A kid will get a $100 Mongoose, build a kicker with plywood, and jump the shit out of it every day, doing x-ups, or whatever they can manage.

An adult will sit online, reading about stats and doo-hickeys, spending money instead of time.

My dad likes guns. He has "assault rifles" equipped with night vision, military grade optics, precision triggers, fancy muzzle breaks, the whole 9. He has spent (fully within his right) several thousands on several guns.

But he hasn't gone shooting in at least 6 months. For every trip he makes to the range, he reads probably 20 hours of reviews and resources online, and spends 2k on guns and accessories. If that's what works for him, it's not for me to criticize.

I would personally find some BMX channels that emphasize the experience over the products. You can either obsess about the paraphernalia, or get out and RIDE! It can be difficult to find that child-like fun, but I bet that's your solution.

Good luck in your personal search.

|

8/29/2016 10:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2016 10:28 PM

I absolutely understand you, I was the same way.

Truth be told, the media is a super powerful influence to anything, not just BMX. That's a bit unfortunate, as I have been taken in by that as well.

After watching Chad Kerley, I wanted a coaster and four pegs. After watching Brock Horneman, I wanted a loud hub, tall bars, and wanted to go brakeless. Then the style cats came along like Dan Foley, Jay Dalton, whoever else... I wanted to be just like them.

I don't know if you're an Adam LZ person, but the reason why I like him the most is because of the riding content. There's Adam himself, mostly street, with three pegs and a Z-Coaster. There's Bert, just an all-around great, hilarious guy. He's pegless and (I think) a coaster. Cody and Jimmy, four pegs, cassette. JR and Jackie, pegless, gyros, cassettes. Jay has cassette, two pegs. Not to mention the many others riders that Adam has rode and made videos with.

My point being, all of these dudes are having a blast TOGETHER. The diversity of riding and bike setups is clear, but they are all enjoying it. It doesn't matter what others are doing, you need to do YOU.

Best regards, buddy! Don't let your bike leave.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/29/2016 11:40 PM

I think about my surroundings and what I physically have to ride, and base my setup on that.
I'd love to ride trails again, and I used to love riding bowls. So I keep wanting to get a trailsy frame, longer cranks, brake etc. And go flat out everywhere.
But, all I have is a terrible skatepark, an OK skatepark, and some nibbley street to ride. Plus I'm scared of big stuff now. So my bike is set up perfectly for how I actually ride, not how I want to ride (luckily, nibbley street is my favourite kind of riding now, so it works for me).

I don't run pegs because I don't like them, and find pegless street riders a big influence on my riding (most seem to be more original, finding weird lines, rather than just doing grinds). Quite a few pegless riders that I like also run a freecoaster, so I just ordered one to play around with. But I've never had one before, so if I don't like it, I'll sell it and use my current wheel.

A break from riding will do you good, you'll come back and see things differently. But when you ride, you should be just having fun instead of worrying about how your bike is set up or what tricks you can do. It's hard to be truly original these days, but you can still mess around and chat shit with your friends while nibbling a curb in a car park. Personally, that's all riding is to me. (and the realisation that I'm old and shit, that's humbled me a lot, and I find riding more fun now).

|

8/30/2016 6:30 AM

GrumpySteve brought up a GREAT insight about influences: let where YOU ride and who you ride with be your influences.

This is totally what gets me back on the bike all the time, and it never really dawned on me till now. I watch videos mostly to kill time at work, and watch more instructional vids than anything else. But knowing that I only have a little skatepark, "homemade" trails in the woods and a limited budget forces me to be creative in all of my riding aspects.

I ride with front and back brakes because it is what I learned on; no pegs b/c it never dawned on me to grind b/c I could not afford to repair things when they got damaged, and grinding by it's nature causes damage. Watching vids of guys without breaks never really made me think to take mine off. Now that I do have a bit more money, I might experiment with pegs...but only because I want to...not because some guy in a vid told me that I had to. Our little park has a 4 foot quarter pipe, and a deeper bowl, but the bowl was definitely designed with skateboard-line influences dementions, so it is hard to ride a BMX in. That forces me to do other things in it. Forces me to be creative.

I think as an older rider, the notion of having to be creative has helped me stay with it the most.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

8/31/2016 7:53 AM

stop worry so much about what sort of rider you are and just ride. So what if you change your setup all the time? Just do whatever youre feeling, because nobody cares what youre doing, so you dont need to worry about them. just do whatever makes you happy on the bike. you dont need a direction, just a line

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

9/8/2016 10:22 AM

datrolld20 wrote:

The difference between a kid biker and adult biker:

A kid will get a $100 Mongoose, build a kicker with plywood, and jump the ...more

Guilty as charged, I think I worry about components before ever seeing or ever riding one sad

|

9/8/2016 3:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2016 3:12 PM

I haven't purchased a single new part for my bike in about 2-3 years. I got it dialed as fuck and left it. Traded my wheelset to a friend for his stock wheels, and ride on and off. My friends all skate frequently and ask me to come so I keep my bike to pull up to the scene aha. It's awesome to have, and each time I'm on I remember why I have the thing. About an hour in I get my mojo going and can start making up lines and shit and I have a fucking blast. Rarely have time as is let alone to practice jump spins on a bike for hours each night. But just taking it out for a rip here and there or taking it to pick up take out and jumpin all the curbs on the way there is good enough for me. I'll never sell the fucker aha. I have no idea who's on what teams, what the coolest newest parts are, best new edits. None of that shit. I just ride the thing. It's cool because local youngins' I just know for whatever reason around here there's a big bmx scene and none of them even know I ride. Then I randomly show up places sometimes bustin' out crazy lines effortlessly aha. You only get so rusty really, since biking is mainly technique not physique.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

9/8/2016 3:17 PM

I haven't been on my bike for like a month and a half and I'm having a blast without it , I don't have a desire to ride at the moment but I still have my bike . I want to get a "normal" bike ( brakes , gears , a seat made to sit on ) and ride that around for fun . Been getting into fitness so that's just as fun .

Take a break and let it come back or you'll get burnt out like me , I don't know when I'll get back on a bike but it's gonna be a while I can tell

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/8/2016 4:19 PM

What I found is to change my setup and STICK WITH IT for a while. I ran a coaster non-stop for 10 months. I ran a front brake for almost a year. I had fun, but changed it up.

There's nothing wrong with changing your bike, or what you want to ride. The best advice is to enjoy your time. If you don't, then don't ride that setup/spot/style.

I make it a point to try something different every session when it comes to tricks or obstacles. Even if that means skidding across a pyramid.

I also just ride for fun, doing big scary stuff is fun sometimes, but to me hammering out a no footed nosepick with a front brake is too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura