Thinking about building something need input?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/27/2012 2:21 AM

So I'm thinking about making a mini ramp/park thing for me and my buddies to bike or skate on I made up this design i had in mind and was wondering how i'd go about doing it, materials i'd need and an estimate on how much.

The images are done is Cinema 4D and edited in photoshop for a little more clarification on dimensions.

Please Note:
The curve of the 1/4 pipes aren't going to be that harsh I had those curves from a studio design that i did and i just used them and not edited them because they were actually a pain and i can't remember how i did them lol.

Photo
Photo

|

11/27/2012 5:40 AM

Looks good, go for it

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

11/27/2012 12:47 PM

I was hoping someone had a similar setup and iwas wondering if it was comfortable to ride and how much it cost them to build it/maintain it.

|

11/27/2012 12:50 PM

iiRag3Kniif3 wrote:

I was hoping someone had a similar setup and iwas wondering if it was comfortable to ride and how much it cost them to build ...more

Man i live in an apartment
So i can't really help you out on this one
But as for price you better have a good friend that helps you out if any have a wood shop or something similar

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

11/27/2012 12:59 PM

I got a buddy or two if they wanna ride they gotta help lol, the reason I'm asking is because I'm going to getting some money soon and i pretty much want a guestimate...I live on 1 1/2 acres of land i need something to do with it >.

|

11/27/2012 2:05 PM

a 10-12 foor mini ramp is small man, good for boards shitty for bikes. make is longer and a bit wider. it wont raise the cost that much.

|

11/27/2012 2:12 PM

Just a consideration make stuff in multiples of 4, because a sheet of ply is 4x8' and you dont want to be cutting every board down so you can get 6 a 6 foot wide ramp.

|

I know this is a chain tool, but what am i gunna do wit' it?

11/27/2012 2:19 PM

weaver wrote:

Just a consideration make stuff in multiples of 4, because a sheet of ply is 4x8' and you dont want to be cutting every board ...more

Weaver good idea thanks i'll have to use that in the build,

@Green

So what like 16-20FT x 8FT x4 FT (L x W x H)

At 16ft it'd be about 512 SQ FT or so, Might've done the math wrong on that completely but o-well I'll get it right when i actually start the building.

|

11/27/2012 5:23 PM

looks fresh!

|

Phone # 925 353 6162
Bought from: hookjrclc, scramhype, tito24, howlerfbm, pavimo, bmxkitten, others
Traded with: Kroller, the Balt, trentydoo

11/27/2012 5:49 PM

On the back side I'll probably have it a hip/spine to go into the 1/2 pipe or something but i think i came up with some material lists...

For the 1/2 pipe = 20L x 8W x 5H there would be 7 pieces of 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Hip 1/4 = 5L x 8W x 5H there would be 5 4x8 sheets of plywood

And a lot of 2x4x8s...

Plus some extra wood for the boxes, the flattop and railings and stuff+paint/woodsealer so i figure about $400-500 or so.

|

11/27/2012 7:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2012 7:18 PM

I'd estimate around a thousand dollars for that. You're definately going to need longer flat bottoms than your plan says(like you said). Remember to buy several sheets of thin plywood to face the ramps with, I recommend 3 sheets of 1/4" or 3/8" ply. Make sure it's thick or pegs with bust through it quickly. Galvanized screws and tubing for the coping, so it doesn't rust. If you're tackling building this I'm sure you already know all of this though.

Also think of moving the box to the other quarter so you have a better spot to drop in on, plus more room for friends to chill during the session.

|

11/27/2012 7:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2012 7:30 PM

Have one of the mini ramps have a high vert wall, if its two mini ramps connected with a hip

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

11/27/2012 8:04 PM

if its 5 ft high then it needs to be 10 foot wide... i have been told that by multiple people... whatever your height is double it for width

|

I have nothing against pegs at all, I don’t think you’re dumb if you ride pegs, I don’t care about your pegs, they are just pegs! What I do hate is the fact that every person in BMX hops on this bandwagon of three pegs, and beanies, and weed, and hop-over grinds… It’s just sad that the pros who influence kids are more worried about looking cool than the kids themselves! It’s crazy!-Trey Jones

11/27/2012 8:18 PM

iiRag3Kniif3 wrote:

I was hoping someone had a similar setup and iwas wondering if it was comfortable to ride and how much it cost them to build ...more

&feature=plcp

This is pretty much the setup, he answers pretty much within the day so just ask him (tristian) about his ramps.
|

11/27/2012 9:37 PM

Well the 1/2 pipe at my mom's old local skate park was like 6ft tall, the flat bottom was MAYBE 10-12 feet and like 8 feet wide...

@Effting
I don't like vert walls that much. But i make a wall ride or something.

@Andrew
I do construction, painting, and dry walling with my dad for a job I know how to build, just wanted some tips. The pictures were just to get an idea i might make a animated video of the build process of it just for fun and i'd think it'd be pretty cool

|

11/27/2012 10:00 PM

get the ramp plans book from dans comp or anything similar

|

11/28/2012 12:31 AM

bmxjoey wrote:

get the ramp plans book from dans comp or anything similar

I'm not going to buy plans waste of money, i can build them myself I just wanted input on design and estimated cost...but thanks anyways

|

11/28/2012 10:53 AM

Those ramps could get a bit costy.. A simple quarter pipe costs a good 100 bucks. Depends how big you want your ramps and half pipe to be.

|