Thinking about buying my 1st BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2016 11:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2016 11:29 AM

And I'm 35!

Hi all. I'm probably a bit long in the tooth for all of this but I've been seriously considering buying my first BMX just for messing around on really (wanted one since I was a kid).

Problem is that I don't know where to start.

I want to get a used bike so I don't drop a load of cash on something I might not like and I've found a Kink Transition 2010 for £50. Apparently it may need a new chain, tubes and brake but I think all those things are cheap.

It has a full Chromo frame and forks which seems the way to go.

After looking into it I think it has a 20.75 top tube. Big enough for someone 5'11''?

Would this be a decent buy for a newbie to the world of BMX?

Cheers
DB

|

7/27/2016 11:59 AM

It is definitely not too late to start biking! I am 5 ten and I ride a 20.75 frame and I really like it. It does depend on what you want to ride as to how much you like that size though. I ride tech street so I like a smaller twitcher frame while some people may be more into park and riding from point a to b. In my opinion I think that a 20.75 would be a great size to start with and than in a few years if you love biking you can buy a larger frame if you feel like you need one. My dad rides a 20.25 tt bike and he is 6 one. He is a little cramped but he loves riding my 20.75. If it feels way to small than maybe try taller bars and stem to make it feel like you have more room on your bike.

|

7/27/2016 12:11 PM

Welcome to the over 30's bmx club!

That sounds like a deal. A brake should be pretty easy to come across, check out sourcebmx.com they'll have everything you need. A decent brake isn't particularly cheap, but you'll be getting the bike for a very good price! You may need brake mounts too, not sure if they're removable on that frame or not.
As above with the size really, if it feels too cramped, or too unstable, you could look for a longer frame. 21" would probably as long as you'd need it, and there's plenty of second hand frames on the market. Again, you're getting the bike cheap, so spending a bit of money dialling it in will be worth it if you need to. The bars are pretty low, so I'd also suggest a topload stem or taller bars if you feel like some rise would benefit. Ride it for a bit to see how you get on first though.

|