Thinking about getting a gyro

Related:
Create New Tag

2/3/2019 12:15 PM

Thinking of getting a gyro. Looking at the Odyssey and the Saltplus. Just wondering about a few things like stack height and dual cable set ups. Saltplus makes this dual upper cable. Works with the lever I already have. Probably just do single lower cable, dunno. Thoughts?

|

2/3/2019 12:58 PM

Not sure if I have space to run one. I just measured my spacer and it's 15mm. That doesn't seem like much room.

|

2/3/2019 1:41 PM

If you're on the fence is get the odyssey g3 gyro just to try out. 20 bucks and has everything you need.

|

fack off

2/3/2019 3:59 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

If you're on the fence is get the odyssey g3 gyro just to try out. 20 bucks and has everything you need.

I need to get the G-3 kit anyway for the cables and top plate. The GTX-S is just a sealed center plate and I need to buy cables, top plate and tabs anyway. Cables alone would be almost the cost of the G-3. In Canada the G-3 kit is 40 bucks. Upper and lower cables would be about 30 bucks for both.

I'm worried that I don't have a enough room to run one though. I have a 15mm headset spacer. Is that enough room? It's been about 20 years since I ran a gyro. I want to learn footjam whips and X-up ride to half bar out and my straight cable is a bit too short since getting taller bars so I figured I might just try a gyro instead of dealing with a long straight cable and untwisting it after trying something every time.

|

2/3/2019 4:44 PM

You'll make it work, flip the plate or use spacers if you need to.

|

2/3/2019 5:52 PM

15mm is plenty ...you shouldn't need more than 5mm of pull to engage the brakes if you set them up properly

|

2/3/2019 7:34 PM

I mean 15mm is the space I have between the bottom of my stem and the head tube. Is that enough? Doesn't seem like a lot of room.

|

2/3/2019 11:58 PM

Can you post a pic of the room you are working with? I remember I was worried about how little space I had but it ended up being perfect.

Have you looked at the shadow sano detangler? Comes with the lower plate for the same price as most detanglers. Real nice looking too!

|

2/4/2019 5:00 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I mean 15mm is the space I have between the bottom of my stem and the head tube. Is that enough? Doesn't seem like a lot of room.

Also, how much space do you currently have between the top of your stem and the top of your fork steerer tube?

|

2/4/2019 7:50 AM

I have 15mm:


|

2/4/2019 8:43 AM

I would love to have a gyro, only thing that's stopping me is the effort it would take to put one on when I really don't mind riding brakeless

|

Hmmm

2/5/2019 3:50 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I have 15mm:


That's enough space

|

2/5/2019 6:59 AM

DO EEEEEET

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/5/2019 8:40 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I have 15mm:


NateBrown62 wrote:

That's enough space

Thanks. I thought so at first then stared doubting it.

|

2/5/2019 8:55 AM

Would you be able to add anymore spacers?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/5/2019 9:48 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Would you be able to add anymore spacers?

I dont think so.

|

2/5/2019 11:30 AM

Just talked to the guy that runs the only Bmx shop on the island and he said it'll work. His price was cheaper too. Canadians should check Rock Bay BMX they have good prices and are rider owned. Gonna order all the parts soonish(my birthday Is coming thinking of running a front brake too but not sure I want to spend that much rn).

|

2/5/2019 11:30 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Just talked to the guy that runs the only Bmx shop on the island and he said it'll work. His price was cheaper too. Canadians should check Rock Bay BMX they have good prices and are rider owned. Gonna order all the parts soonish(my birthday Is coming thinking of running a front brake too but not sure I want to spend that much rn).

What parts did you decide on?

|

2/6/2019 5:43 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Just talked to the guy that runs the only Bmx shop on the island and he said it'll work. His price was cheaper too. Canadians should check Rock Bay BMX they have good prices and are rider owned. Gonna order all the parts soonish(my birthday Is coming thinking of running a front brake too but not sure I want to spend that much rn).

Bulletpup wrote:

What parts did you decide on?

The Odyessey GTX-S with a plate, cables, and tabs.

|

2/6/2019 11:44 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Just talked to the guy that runs the only Bmx shop on the island and he said it'll work. His price was cheaper too. Canadians should check Rock Bay BMX they have good prices and are rider owned. Gonna order all the parts soonish(my birthday Is coming thinking of running a front brake too but not sure I want to spend that much rn).

Bulletpup wrote:

What parts did you decide on?

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

The Odyessey GTX-S with a plate, cables, and tabs.

Nice! Great choice!

|

2/6/2019 2:29 PM

I really like the Shadow Sano detangler. Sealed bearing and comes with the top plate too. Also they have knarps built in so you don't have to rely on built in lugs on the top cables to really dial in the pull .

|

2/6/2019 2:36 PM

Also just throwing this out there, Brant Moore has a few pretty rad hacks and cool tricks on his gyro setup. I never really took the time to look into it, but I actually came across a few pieces of hardware that he has in his setup so I may end up giving his arrangement a shot.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/6/2019 2:55 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Also just throwing this out there, Brant Moore has a few pretty rad hacks and cool tricks on his gyro setup. I never really took the time to look into it, but I actually came across a few pieces of hardware that he has in his setup so I may end up giving his arrangement a shot.

I remember seeing a video about his setup somewhere. I will check it again. I don't know if I will do the London mod or not but I will check that vid again.

|

2/6/2019 7:20 PM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

I really like the Shadow Sano detangler. Sealed bearing and comes with the top plate too. Also they have knarps built in so you don't have to rely on built in lugs on the top cables to really dial in the pull .

That's a good idea with the built in knarps.

|

2/7/2019 3:03 PM

Do I need a different spacer to run the GTX? Like a straight one, not the tapered type I have now? Just want to make sure I order everything I need. Probably a stupid question but I've never installed a gyro before so I have no idea.

|

2/7/2019 3:07 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Do I need a different spacer to run the GTX? Like a straight one, not the tapered type I have now? Just want to make sure I order everything I need. Probably a stupid question but I've never installed a gyro before so I have no idea.

Nope. It'll be fine.

|

2/7/2019 3:39 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Also just throwing this out there, Brant Moore has a few pretty rad hacks and cool tricks on his gyro setup. I never really took the time to look into it, but I actually came across a few pieces of hardware that he has in his setup so I may end up giving his arrangement a shot.

I tried watching his videos but he just talks way too damn much

|

fack off

2/8/2019 6:32 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Also just throwing this out there, Brant Moore has a few pretty rad hacks and cool tricks on his gyro setup. I never really took the time to look into it, but I actually came across a few pieces of hardware that he has in his setup so I may end up giving his arrangement a shot.

adamnmexican wrote:

I tried watching his videos but he just talks way too damn much

I watched the one about the upper cable and how to make one, pretty neat. I might try it when it is time to replace my current one.

Although I may just yank all the brake and pegs and pull a grumpy steve for a bit this spring. We shall see.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

2/12/2019 11:39 AM

I'm ordering the GTX-S, cables, plate and tabs today. Now I just need it to stop fucking snowing. Hopefully it's all gone by the time my gyro gets here.

|

2/12/2019 12:58 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

I tried watching his videos but he just talks way too damn much

If I can get past his hair, I can handle anything.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.