Thinking about getting back into the BMX game.

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2018 1:14 PM

I used it be big into BMX when I was a kid in the 80’s. I had a PK Ripper. My question is what are considered the better bikes these days. In my day it was SE racing, Red Line, GT, and Hutch. Flight cranks and Phil Wood hubs and Bullseye hubs were the good stuff. I’d like to build a really nice and light bike that I couldn’t afford when I was a kid. What are your suggestions? I’m 6’2” and 49 years old.

|

1/11/2018 1:46 PM

What part of houston are you in? If you're near the west side, look up ORP bike shop. The owner Chris can get you on something really badass. He's got great completes and can even powder coat anything if you don't like the color.

|

It’s all bmx

1/11/2018 1:49 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

What part of houston are you in? If you're near the west side, look up ORP bike shop. The owner Chris can get you on something ...more

I’m actually on the west side just outside beltway 8 and Richmond.

|

1/11/2018 2:07 PM

Yeah go to ORP, I haven't been there but they seem pretty legit... I'm about an hour from ORP, but I'd ike to go down there and visit them...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/11/2018 2:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2018 2:22 PM

Craig_Davis wrote:

I used it be big into BMX when I was a kid in the 80’s. I had a PK Ripper. My question is what are considered the better bikes ...more

In general, none of those brands are really dominant any longer. Pretty much all of them were bought & sold. Redline flight cranks set the standard but have since been surpassed by not one, but many others. You can get reissue hutch trickster, Haro master/sport, & GT framesets, to name a few, if you were so inclined to start riding but wanted that old school vibe. They've been updated with current geometries & integrated headsets, & removable brake bosses, etc...

Today, makes like Sunday, S&M, Cult, Subrosa, Kink, Fiend, & Laird (to name a few) are producing some of best frames out there. Profile, which you may remember from years past, is the name of the game in many aftermarket parts. From cranks, to hubs, to stems, profile makes some of the best.

Well, I hope that helps a little. Like everyone else said, check that local shop. You are lucky to have one close by that still sells quality bmx stuff. That's your best bet... If this nothing else, a little education.

Lastly, welcome back!

|

1/11/2018 2:22 PM

Read this before spending money on a bike.

That being said.. If you're not overly particular on specs or weight, get a newer model of something that you used to ride? There's plenty of modern models of old bikes, like S.E. Rippers, GTs, and Haros.

If you're looking for something modern..

The best bang for your buck is the Mongoose Legion L100. Has everything deemed necessary in the Buying Guide (and then some,) and is only $280 (or less.) Comparable bikes are typically $500+.

Or if you're wanting a more "name brand" bike, there's a whole lot of good companies to look at, just be mindful of how they're built. Make sure whatever you choose has at least the necessities listed in the Buying Guide. Here's a small list of good companies to look into..
Sunday Bikes
Fit Bike Co
Kink Bikes
Haro BMX
Volume Bikes
Subrosa Brand
Etc.

There's lots of cool BMX shops in TX, so buy from one of them if you can! EmpireBMX in Austin should be able to get you anything ya need if other shops cant.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/11/2018 7:15 PM

dude...welcome back! I was in the same boat about 5 years ago...hasdn't ridden since the 70's/80's and got back into it as my step-son started to show interest. I had an 81 Mongoose Supergoose, and then an 88 Californian Pro, which I still ride today!

Definitely follow the link that HardBMX_Tim posted. It has all of the info that you will need to know. Gikes feel a lot different now-a-days, but also much the same. As with everythign else, thing are stronger and lighter now, for a decent price usually.

I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to either a Verde Luxe or a possible custom build around a Lairdframe frame..

other companies that I dug in my research were:
WeThePeople
Colony
S&M
Terrible1 for frames
Odyssey for parts and such
Eastern

just remember that geometry related to how you are going to ride will be the most important thigns to dial in. From company to company, especially with completes, things are relatively the same within the same price range when it comes to components and parts

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/11/2018 8:19 PM

Fbm are the best.

Do some research, visit some brands websites, watch their videos, find out what they're about and how they do business. 99% of the market is all made in the same handful of factories in Taiwan. With most of those you're paying for the image of the brand. They're not bad quality, just a bit more boring in my opinion.

Terrible one, relic, s&m, profile, and g sport are all good too. You could build a badass bike from just those brands.

|

1/11/2018 8:29 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Fbm are the best.

Do some research, visit some brands websites, watch their videos, find out what they're about and how they ...more

What he said

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

1/12/2018 1:27 AM

Hey Craig I felt the same way getting back into BMX a couple years ago. There were really only 3 brands that I recognized from back in the day that still operated and still made high end stuff (Odyssey, Primo and Profile). The rest were completely new. With time I came to like some of the new brands and also figure out which weren't really for me. Another difference between today and the 80's is that there is a lot less crossover between race and freestyle. The markets are more segmented now.

On the internet we refer to bikes being old, mid or new school. These cover the time periods from the very beginning of BMX right up to today. As you would probably guess, the brands you mentioned are all high end oldschool stuff.

Are you looking to buy an old school or new school bike? Or are you looking for a complete or do you wish to assemble your own from parts? And what sort of riding do you see yourself doing?

|

1/12/2018 2:19 AM

I plan on doing just do some casual riding. Might hit some dirt/trail riding occasionally. I talked to the guy at ORP here in Houston. I’m kind of leaning towards getting a 26” Fit. I think I’m going to trick it out with some Profile cranks and Chris King hubs and other parts. So is Profile the way to with cranks vs say Odyssey? Also are Chris King hubs better than Profile hubs? I used to run Chris King hubs on my full suspension Klein mtb and loved them. Thanks for everyone’s help with this btw.

|

1/12/2018 5:08 AM

Craig_Davis wrote:

I plan on doing just do some casual riding. Might hit some dirt/trail riding occasionally. I talked to the guy at ORP here in ...more

26er's are pretty big. If you aren't going to be really riding street or doing serious dirt jumping, etc..., it would be fine for cruising. However, if you think you might like to actually start riding street, jumping, parks or dirt, you might want to look into maybe a 24 or something like that. Honestly, a 20" seems small (especially after being out of the sport for a long time) but you get used to it again. If you were convinced that a 20" was too small, you could also look into a 22" (wheel) bike. way more space (longer TT availability) but retains WAY more 20" characteristics as it pertains to riding. & if that isn't for you, then look into the 24" & 26". Again, if you know you aren't going to ever ride street or be doing anything other than riding, you can get whatever you want. In fact, under those parameters (cruising around), you don't need to buy a full chromoly bike at all as hi-tens will hold up for that. It all depends on where you see yourself going from here.

P.S. Don't be fooled into thinking "I'm too old to actually ride". There are a lot of us "old guys" riding these days.

|

1/12/2018 5:12 AM

Craig_Davis wrote:

I plan on doing just do some casual riding. Might hit some dirt/trail riding occasionally. I talked to the guy at ORP here in ...more

Don't get a 26", it's not a bmx. If you truly feel 20" wheels are too small (there's plenty of riders your height) you could look at 22". A 26" will never feel like a bmx because it's so much bigger. A 21.5 tt, longish chainstays, and fairly tall bars on a 20" will fit you fine.

Chris King is over priced. They may be good, probably better than profile in some ways, but they're not a bmx company. Profile and odyssey cranks are just different. Profile are tried and tested and have been around 30+ years, they're fairly light, and strong enough. They have a bit of flex which is a bit more forgiving. Odyssey are a more modern design, also light, and strong. And they're stiffer.

|

1/12/2018 5:54 AM

Craig_Davis wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Don't get a 26", it's not a bmx. If you truly feel 20" wheels are too small (there's plenty of riders your height) you could ...more

What brands and models of frames do you recommend for a guy my height? I want something nice as well as light.

|

1/12/2018 5:57 AM

I should also add I’m a old man so I’m going to have a brake and the seat is going to be raised lol

|

1/12/2018 6:01 AM

There's loads, but my picks would be fbm steadfast, s&m credence (black magic for super stable, mod for a bit more of an all rounder, or ccr for something inbetween), terrible one barcode or sfa. There's loads more out there though. Mutiny villij or deathgrip, United prime mover etc etc. Anything aimed more at trails really. Just find a brand you feel is doing good things, or you like their image, and support them

|

1/12/2018 6:08 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

There's loads, but my picks would be fbm steadfast, s&m credence (black magic for super stable, mod for a bit more of an ...more

Well that’s my problem I’ve been away from the game so long I don’t even know what or who to look for...I used to ride a PK Ripper so I started looking at the new SE Racing stuff because I used to be familiar with the company back in the day. I’m sure there are better frames now.

|

1/12/2018 6:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 6:23 AM

Craig_Davis wrote:

I should also add I’m a old man so I’m going to have a brake and the seat is going to be raised lol

Brakes are cool (and mandatory for me). Being able to sit kills the 20 as an option, again, for me. Slam the seat and forget it. I'm 56 yo and I love the workout standing and riding a true 20 gives. Works your whole body and exercises your balance skills as well. I'm building a Black Magic myself, and its trail geometry is what attracted me (as Grumpy noted). I tried a single-speed 29er over the summer but found no joy in it. 20's make me feel like a kid again. Long frame with trail geo and tall bars is what I'd recommend.

|

1/12/2018 6:22 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

There's loads, but my picks would be fbm steadfast, s&m credence (black magic for super stable, mod for a bit more of an ...more

Craig_Davis wrote:

Well that’s my problem I’ve been away from the game so long I don’t even know what or who to look for...I used to ride a PK ...more

Fbm, s&m, some fit, and some terrible one frames are made in America. Everything else is made in Taiwan. The difference in quality is pretty much non existent, but American made is a bit more expensive. So it depends where you want your money going really.
I'm a bit of a purist myself, and prefer my money going to the brands that have been around a while, and have put a lot back into bmx. That's why I'm a bit of an fbm fanboy. They make awesome stuff in house, and do a lot for bmx.

Maybe go to an online store, have a browse, go to different brands websites, and see what you think of them as a brand. Check out some YouTube videos of those brands to see how their riders represent them etc. Brandon begin will probably make you never want to own any parts by fit, but other riders on fit are really good people. The same can be said about a lot of brands though. Think about how you'd feel being associated with different brands.
S&m don't really appeal to me anymore, but the credence guys are rad.
Mutiny have a really cool team, I don't think there's anyone on mutiny that would put me off. Same goes for United.
Terrible one are just awesome.
There's loads though. So I understand if it's overwhelming. Just pick a brand that appeals to you. But non of the old brands are really doing anything good in bmx now. Profile and s&m are probably the oldest brands that are still awesome. Odyssey are a lot better than they used to be.

I mean, I could just tell you what to buy and you'd have an awesome (but expensive) bike, but the decision of where your money goes is yours smile

|

1/12/2018 6:28 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Craig_Davis wrote:

Well that’s my problem I’ve been away from the game so long I don’t even know what or who to look for...I used to ride a PK ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Fbm, s&m, some fit, and some terrible one frames are made in America. Everything else is made in Taiwan. The difference in ...more

Well if you were me being 6’1” - 6’2” and in my late 40’s that wants a really nice bike that’s light...what frame and parts (cranks and hubs) would you buy?

|

1/12/2018 6:31 AM

when I got back into it, I did about 6-8 months of just studying, web surfing, and checking out videos and forums before I decided to commit. . Having been a Mongoose guy back in the 80's, I was devastated to find out that they had become a joke/Wally-Box bike pretty much....

I was lucky enough to have my old bike so I could ride, and that allowed me to not jump the gun and just buy crap. I would suggest doing the same (you still have your old bike right?). Check out all of the companies people here are suggesting...I made a ton of spreadsheets as I researched because my mind remembers things better by seeing lists...and that helped me relearn the industry a lot! It was actually very fun to join the modern world and see what was happening

- realize that building a custom is in your best interest for a personally dialed bike that will take some abuse and last...but it is more expensive and takes a bit longer if you are not rich....and if your bike wrenching skills are not there. However, building a custom will help develop the wrenching skills...

- a complete is going to get you riding right away, and then you can tweak it as you learn or re-develop your style, and as parts wear out or break...full chromo/sealed bearing/double walled rims completes will also take the abuse, and won't "abuse" your wallet right away. You can also totally dial a complete to your liking as well. Most of the guys I ride with have tweaked completes...in fact, NONE of them have custom builts now that I think about it

- you can look used, but for me, in my area especially, there are NEVER the gems that many others find on CL and/or the Bay. I am going to buy new when I do b/c I don't want to take a chance in the sea of crap that is used in our area

- don't limit yourself to how or what you will ride...when I got back into it, I was a "trails only" guy because that is what I did in the 80s'...until my step son wanted to try a skatepark...now I am addicted to that instead...same with tricks...I was a jumps only guy in the 80's...we didn't have "freestyle" back then, so I initially just got on my old man soap box and shook my fist at fakies, 180's, grinding etc....until I tried to start doing it...and again, I was/am hooked...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/12/2018 6:42 AM

Welcome back. I'm 33 and started back up seriously only about 4 months ago.

Don't go SE. Their frames are fine, but their components are complete garbage. If you buy an SE complete now, in 6 months you'll be replacing wheels, cranks, brakes, etc.

A lot of good advice already in here. Profile is still a big named in BMX. They're actually celebrating their 50th Anniversary this year, so they are still a very solid company to go with. I would feel comfortable putting pretty much anything Profile under me.

Odyssey is also another great company that I've had great experience with. I have lots of odyssey parts and they have yet to fail me.

Either way, don't get caught up in whats the best. Just do whats good for you. Most of all, have fun!

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/12/2018 6:46 AM

Craig_Davis wrote:

Well if you were me being 6’1” - 6’2” and in my late 40’s that wants a really nice bike that’s light...what frame and parts ...more

FBM/S&M/T1 frame - You should probably not go anything under 21" Top Tube Length. Weight difference is going to be down to the ounce at that size, so you probably won't notice a difference. Weight isn't as big a deal as it used to be. We're now expected to be able to manhandle a 30lbs bike these days.

Cranks - Profile. I have the Elite 170mm with the Ti Spindle and I'm a big dude. They don't dent, they don't bend, and they don't wobble.

Hubs - I personally run a weird mixup of rim/hub front and back, but when I switch I will probably be going either Profile or G Sport/Odyssey.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/12/2018 10:58 AM

Craig_Davis wrote:

Well if you were me being 6’1” - 6’2” and in my late 40’s that wants a really nice bike that’s light...what frame and parts ...more

I'm 6'3", so you can take a look at my Bike Check for some ideas...

I'll echo above with saying that you really can't go wrong with FBM, S&M, Odyssey and Profile (if you want to keep it simple, but top tier) .

|

1/12/2018 11:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 11:27 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

I'm 6'3", so you can take a look at my Bike Check for some ideas...

I'll echo above with saying that you really can't go ...more

I'm building up a tallboy myself. I'm not quite as tall as you (6'+) but love a bigger bike. How do you like the 10's with the 21.5" tallboy frame? I have 10's, 9's & some 8.87's laying around & was just curious on your thoughts. Lastly, what are your overall thoughts on the bike?! I'm really excited about it since my frame is being delivered as we speak!

P.S. Sorry for the hijack!

P.P.S. can't go wrong with FBM, S&M, Odyssey and Profile DITTO

|

1/12/2018 12:34 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm building up a tallboy myself. I'm not quite as tall as you (6'+) but love a bigger bike. How do you like the 10's with the ...more

I initially used some 9" Hoder bars, but I didn't like how I had to tilt my head all the way back just to look forward (personal preference thing). The 10" bars made a huge difference in alleviating that + I liked the 1.5° upsweep better with the taller height. I did learn that with tall bars you have to run them more straight up & down, or forward which Charlie Crumlish does a better job of explaining why here. Also, I would've still picked the 21.5" if I was only 6', so I think you'll really enjoy it.

As for the frame, the geo suits me perfect... I ran the rear at 13.75" at first, but I prefer it slammed, because it really makes it feel like an "all-around" kind of bike.

I'd like to try out a 21.5" Black Magic Frame, but I highly doubt that's going to happen anytime soon... Even if I did the Tall Boy's not going anywhere.

|

1/12/2018 2:08 PM

Been running my T1 barcode since 2001 with no troubles. 21.75 tt and I'm 6'3" 190. You're on the right track but most important is buy the bike that makes you want to ride it and go ride. Disconnect from the forums and just go ride for a few months.

|

1/12/2018 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 2:45 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Been running my T1 barcode since 2001 with no troubles. 21.75 tt and I'm 6'3" 190. You're on the right track but most ...more

Yeah... I just wish the temps would allow... It got to 16 today but much cooler now that I'm off work. Got the new frame today so I'm stoked about that. Looking forward to the build.

P.S. Is that a custom frame BC or did they offer that tt length. I don't know that I've ever seen that length offered of the shelf.

|

1/12/2018 2:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 2:59 PM

It was from the 01 03 Mass run only I believe.... There's a few out there, there's one on bmxmuseum from 03 but with no brake mounts... I'm unsure how many were produced...

|

1/12/2018 3:10 PM

Nice!

|