Thinking about getting into the sport

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2016 2:28 PM

As the subject states I am thinking about diving into the world of freestyle bmx riding. I have some questions for you guys if you do not mind taking the time to answer them.

1. I am 31 years old, is it to late to start the sport. I am just looking to ride for the enjoyment of it. I recently got into MTB and road riding and loved them both. BMX riding has always been on my to do list also.

2. What would be a good bike to purchase starting out? I have a tendencies when I try new things to try to buy the best, but with bikes that gets expensive so any suggestions would be great

Trail and street riding would probably be my main riding styles.

Like I said before any suggestions would be great. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to getting to know this community better.

|

7/25/2016 2:48 PM

Welcome to the sport man! I'll try to answer your questions as best I can since I have over 20 years experience riding bmx under my belt.

1. 30 is not too late at all! I've been riding since I was about 8 and I am now 30 and still riding. As usual I've endured plenty of injuries so I don't go too crazy these days but still ride!

2. Since you're first starting out, I would definitely pick up a complete bike. It's the easiest way to be "turn key" ready to go in a sense. As long as it's a quality bike that's completely chromoly you'll be a ok! Look at websites such as danscomp.com or you can even pick up a good bike at a local bike shop if you have one that sells bmx bikes.

3. Just go out and have a blast dude! Once you start to ride you'll start to learn new things over time. The most important thing is to enjoy riding! Get to know people at the local skate park or whatever and you'll make friends that'll help you. It's harder these days to do that because these young riders these days are a lot different than when I was heavily riding back then but don't worry about it. That's pretty much it!

|

7/25/2016 4:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2016 4:19 PM

Sean covered it. I'm you're guys age and I pretty much just started about 6 months ago. I skateboarded forever and always liked bmx as well. I don't have all the time to get out and practice. Just do it for fun.

|

7/25/2016 4:53 PM

"Fun" is where I keep it to now! Not trying to be pro with blown out knees, shoulders, ankles, back, etc. I just can't stop riding ever because it's something I've always loved! Just times change and generations change, but I mainly ride by myself and keep to myself. I'm not really keen on this generation of kids! Sad to say because I have kids of my own

|

7/25/2016 6:10 PM

Bsmed wrote:

As the subject states I am thinking about diving into the world of freestyle bmx riding. I have some questions for you guys if ...more

1. No. No age is too old as long as you can physically ride a bike. It expands off just riding down the street to be whatever you want it to be.

2. Aim for full chromoly, double wall rims, sealed bearings. outside of that, aim for sizing that works for you, and what you think is pretty. Higher level completes, if you are around 6 feet tall having a top tube around 21" or so is a good plan.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/25/2016 7:01 PM

Thank you guys for all the good information. Looks like I'm gonna have to start shopping now. It's good to know there are people out there my age riding. Thanks again guys

|

7/25/2016 7:03 PM

Yeah man not a problem! I might be literally bolted and sewn together and in constant pain, but I'm still out there riding!

|

7/25/2016 7:19 PM

Hey man there's plenty of dudes on here 30+, I'm 43 and just got into it a year ago. So answer to Q1 is a definite "no" wink

I was chatting to a guy earlier today on instagram who is 50+ and he's absolutely killing it still.

|

7/25/2016 7:30 PM

That is very encouraging to read. I believe I'm going to have a lot of fun giving this a go.

|

7/25/2016 7:30 PM

Sean answered all the questions great, and Dave got it all in about the bike itself, but I want to add something in about frame/bar size. I'm 5'9" and I ride a 21" frame with 9" rise by 29" wide bars. A lot of it is personal preference (I've known guys who ride 7" bars who are over 6') but getting the proper size will make your bike handle and feel better when you ride. You could look up BMX sizing charts on Google, so if you go to your local bike shop you will know what size bike you would want to test out. (Don't order a bike online until you ride it in person, I almost made that mistake). As for brands, I'd go with one of these: Fitbikeco/Sunday/S&M/Stolen/WeThePeople. Hope this helps!

|

7/26/2016 12:33 AM

Welcome to bmx!

What bike you get depends entirely on your budget. In each price bracket there's plenty of different bikes but they don't vary all that much. The more expensive the bike, the better the components, you really do get what you pay for. You probably already know that from mtb and road bikes. Bmx's are very different though, as most people will spend a fair bit and have a custom build. Whereas most mtb's and road bikes you'll go to a shop and buy one, then maybe upgrade a few bits later on if you want. Expect to pay close to 1000 if you want a complete bmx that's that good. And then it gets to the cost of just custom building one.
However, there are plenty of bikes on the market for half that to get you started. Just bear in mind a cheaper bike is a false economy, as you'll need to upgrade parts sooner. You can pick up a bike for around 300 that'll do the job, but they would've compromised the quality of some of the parts to keep the cost down.

The best thing to do is set yourself a budget, do a bit of window shopping, then post a couple of links to the bikes you like the look of so we can compare them for you. There's also plenty of threads on here from other people looking to buy their first bmx you could have a read through to get an idea of what to go for.

|

7/26/2016 12:34 PM

welcome to it! I started riding in '76 and still am today!

Everybody has pretty much covered what yo need to know, so I will add in my own .02...

Since I have pretty much been poor all my life, I tend to buy things that will last. I would tell you to spend a bit more in the beginning to get a bike that will last. Now, if you are well off, or just don't care, spend however you want. I looked for something with a solid frame, fork, wheels, and drivetrain. I have decided on a Verde Luxe, and am now just saving up the money to get it. I think it will last me a long time - especially since I will not be dropping off of houses or doing crazy high jumping stuff.

Do some research and think about what you want to (or don't want to) spend down the road for maintenance and upkeep. I recently shopped this same way for my MTB and am very happy with that decision.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

7/26/2016 4:26 PM

Thank you guys again for all the great feedback. I was wanting to run something buy you guys. Would it be worth it to purchase a mongoose mode 900 to see if I enjoy the sport before I go spending 500+ on a better quality bike. My self reasoning here is that I could learn some basic riding skills on the mode 900. If I get hooked on riding I would look into slowly building a true custom. Be honest with me if this is a terrible idea. I truly do appreciate any and all feedback I get. Thanks again

|

7/26/2016 6:20 PM

I say go for the Mongoose unless it's too small for you. I believe it's 20.5" top tube. Another guy on here got one for commuting and it looked pretty cool.

|

7/26/2016 7:16 PM

The mongoose mode 900 is a solid bike, VERY good for the money.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

7/26/2016 8:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2016 8:27 PM

Bsmed wrote:

Thank you guys again for all the great feedback. I was wanting to run something buy you guys. Would it be worth it to purchase ...more

Yes, just as the last few stated, the 900 is a GREAT bike, especially for its price range. You get full ChroMoly for the frame, fork, and handlebar, and a few other advanced features. It's totally worth it. Should you continue on in BMX, it will still be a great option in the long run. Plus, you can change parts as you go.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn