This is gonna sound stupid. Bars and Stem help.

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2015 3:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2015 3:24 PM

My bars are slipping and want to ask should there be silver stuff inside the stem or should it be all smooth black. I think it's my bars which are the problem but should I sand the silver bit in the stem so its all black? I got the stem 1 week ago so I think it's the bars.

Photo

|

12/23/2015 3:48 PM

time for new stem or put some glue if you dont have the money right now to buy a new stem. i know it sound ghetto, but it work.

|

12/23/2015 3:48 PM

Its the paint wearing away and making them slip just tighten it alot and in the right order and it should hold fine.

|

12/23/2015 3:49 PM

or a piece of rubber really thin like use a old tube that work too...

|

12/23/2015 3:54 PM

That's the metal. The finish is stripped away because of thr bars slipping. Just tighten them in an x pattern. And if there's paint on thec clamping area of your bars, sand it off.

|

12/23/2015 4:14 PM

Don't use rubber, it will still slip. What's the gnurl on your bars looking like? If you've over tightened a stem on them in the past the bars could be slightly crushed, which is usually the reason they'll skip. or you just didn't tighten it enough

|

12/23/2015 4:25 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Don't use rubber, it will still slip. What's the gnurl on your bars looking like? If you've over tightened a stem on them in the past the bars could be slightly crushed, which is usually the reason they'll skip. or you just didn't tighten it enough

rubber work fine for me, never slip again...

|

12/24/2015 8:32 AM

Like said above. X pattern. Try a 3/8" ratchet with 6mm hex bit instead of Allen wrench. Snug the bolts good, don't overtighten.

|

12/24/2015 8:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2015 8:44 AM

Toto_bike_fx wrote:

time for new stem or put some glue if you dont have the money right now to buy a new stem. i know it sound ghetto, but it work.

Don't do this.

Ever.

No rubber either. Regardless of how well it works according to that kid. Don't. There's a right way, and a wrong way, and that is the wrong way.

Sand the anodizing/paint out of the clamping area (where the bars sit), CLEAN THE DUST OUT, then CAREFULLY take a box cutter/scratch tool/knife you don't care if it gets dull and CUTTING AWAY FROM YOURSELF make small grooves from one side to the other. (basically along the clamping area from left to right on your pictures). It roughs it up and gives the bars something to grab, creating the friction you need. I did that to my current stem, it is the ORIGINAL Shadow topload, roughly 10 years old now. NEVER slipped my bars.

Then when putting the bars back on, tighten the bolts in an X pattern. So upper left bolt to bottom right, then top right to bottom left, and do so EVENLY.

Should take care of the issue.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/24/2015 9:29 AM

Toto_bike_fx wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Don't do this.

Ever.

No rubber either. Regardless of how well it works according to that kid. Don't. There's a right way, and a wrong way, and that is the wrong way.

Sand the anodizing/paint out of the clamping area (where the bars sit), CLEAN THE DUST OUT, then CAREFULLY take a box cutter/scratch tool/knife you don't care if it gets dull and CUTTING AWAY FROM YOURSELF make small grooves from one side to the other. (basically along the clamping area from left to right on your pictures). It roughs it up and gives the bars something to grab, creating the friction you need. I did that to my current stem, it is the ORIGINAL Shadow topload, roughly 10 years old now. NEVER slipped my bars.

Then when putting the bars back on, tighten the bolts in an X pattern. So upper left bolt to bottom right, then top right to bottom left, and do so EVENLY.

Redneck repair save you time and money! lol Your trick wont work all the time it get to thin at one point... on the road is crazy what you can do with a tube.

|

12/24/2015 12:58 PM

Toto_bike_fx wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Don't do this.

Ever.

Toto_bike_fx wrote:

Redneck repair save you time and money! lol Your trick wont work all the time it get to thin at one point... on the road is crazy what you can do with a tube.

His trick might not work all the time but both of yours never work. I know because I've tried both because in my teenage mind it seemed logical. Rubber or glue would only work for slow and low riding and landing perfectly.

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

12/24/2015 2:35 PM

So the silver bit on the stem should all be there and not missing? I just bought the stem 1 week ago. Brand new. I think its the bars that are the problem as 2 other stems I tried were also fucked.

|

12/24/2015 2:44 PM

Toto_bike_fx wrote:

Haha, I put loctite in mine. Hasn't slipped at all since

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

12/24/2015 3:32 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think the bars are crushed but not sure they do seem abit weird. Also is the silver bit on the stem supposed to be there? Or is it supposed to be all black? I got the stem 1 week ago. Ill add a pic of bars.

Photo

Photo

|

12/25/2015 8:00 PM

The bare metal is silver. Then it is painted black. When the paint is rubbed off, it shows the silver metal underneath. It's totally normal. Just tighten it more and it won't slip.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

12/25/2015 11:38 PM

Dave will probably get angry about this too, but back when I was new to riding, I had a pair of bars that slipped all the damn time. I cut out a small piece of shim stock and wrapped it around my clamping area on the bars, never had problems again.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

12/26/2015 12:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2015 6:17 AM

A shim might work, a lot of chromoly mtb bars come in 22.2 but are supplied with shims to fit different stems.
But if the bars are crushed there's not much that will help.
The silver bit in your stem is kind of normal, it's just where the paint has rubbed off when your bars slipped.
Try tightening it more first, if they still slip, try some different bars

|