This might be retarded but...

Related:
Create New Tag

11/23/2013 10:29 AM

I need clarification.

So I have this backyard porch thing (wooden deck) and it has a plastic roof sheeting, my bike is covered by a very thick red blanket, it doesn't cover the handle bars fully, it never gets rained on at all but I was wondering since the winter is setting in and the frost and cold is coming is my bike at any risk?

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

11/23/2013 10:46 AM

Yeah it could be from the moisture in the air and frost

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

11/23/2013 10:59 AM

do you have a garage?

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

11/23/2013 10:59 AM

Put it inside

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/23/2013 11:09 AM

feeble_to_face wrote:

do you have a garage?

nope

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

11/23/2013 12:46 PM

I personally wouldn't keep my bike anywhere accept inside or a garage. But to answer your question, the temperature can temper the structure of the metal and make it more or less brittle. That's why a lot of people who drive to indoor parks in the winter (bike rack/truck bed/etc.) Snap their parts a bit too often. The tubing will get down to below freezing temps, and then go instantly to room temp. Its like the opposite of heat treatment.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/23/2013 1:16 PM

keep it inside man, unless youre goin for that full rust ratrod effect for your bike.
i keep mine in my basement or in my room (tiny house, stairs and all lol) my friend lives in an even smaller house (seriously, like a shed) and she keeps her in her room, or in the back of her tiny golf. somehow. my ofher friend keeps his in his truck (with a cap)
all im sayin is theres really no reason you should leave your bike outside.

|

Insta: @devicacy

11/23/2013 1:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2013 4:12 PM

Ok, condensation from the changing temp will get inside everything, between bearings and your frame, really anywhere water would get if you submerged your whole bike. On painted surfaces it's not an issue, but any exposed metal will start corroding. Now, as far as the temperature changing effecting the actual metal, kinda. It will not change the temper of the frame, and most of you don't even have heat treated frames anyway, unless you have a 41thermal Sunday, or a Redline Device G6 or G7. Now, riding in the cold (what most of us consider cold, from just below freezing up to whatever temp you want to call cold), won't have a drastic effect on your frame. But below that, there is an increase in the metals brittleness for every degree the temp falls. As far as what Tim was talking about with park riders breaking parts more often during winter months, that would have more to do with the cold parts not being normalized with the indoor temp. When transporting a bike in a bike rack, whatever the ouside temp is, the bike will get colder due to wind chill. Thicker parts take far longer to get up to room temperature. Now, this isn't saying that parts are going to break for sure, but if they are already compromised due to fatigue, then the cold riding can just help them along.

On a somewhat related note, there are cryo metals that actually get stronger the colder it gets. It doesn't get really strong until 100+ degrees below zero, but at least we have the metal to build a freestyle frame to use on Pluto, or whatever it's called now that its been downgraded from planet status, haha.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/23/2013 6:11 PM

Sleep with it under the covers. But seriously if you don't have a shed or something I would just keep it inside. I keep mine in shed which doesn't help with the cold but it doesn't get too cold in California.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

11/24/2013 7:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2013 7:28 AM

ALL of my bikes are in my apartment.

Try to make room for them.

I actually at the most had 7 at once. Now I am down to two of mine, one for my fiance' and we borrowed her friends cruiser for our engagement photos.

All in an 800 SQ foot apartment.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/24/2013 7:32 AM

I would keep it inside especially if its winter...

|

BMX IS AWESOME learn something new everyday !!! Keep riding