Thoughts?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/12/2020 5:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2020 5:42 PM

This just came up in my head and I can't really seem to find an answer for this dilemma.. Would you want to ride as a complete god and have the ability to shred anything at sight but it's not exactly "stylish" OR would you rather have such an amazing and distinctive style that everyone recognizes you for.

Skill vs Style

View Results

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

4/12/2020 8:31 PM

Most likely if you have skill you have style.

Instance:

Ride with skill that no one has ever seen before and conquer everything "Trey Jones"
Have your own unique amazing style that you get recognized for "Trey Jones"

|

4/12/2020 8:58 PM

100% style for me. I've grown completely numb watching what most would consider the big names in the game, it all just seems the same after a while to me.

I can't hate on any of them, cuz what they're doing is insane, but all these 4-pegs coaster edits are just not fun for me to watch. Same goes for many park edits, where things get especially repetitive and the style seems to be a "do as many tricks as you can fit in one air" type of vibe. I'll always prefer park over street, though.

That's why I love watching riding from guys like Jay Dalton, he's the clear stand-out of style in park riding IMO.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/12/2020 9:26 PM

Wayne S wrote:

Most likely if you have skill you have style.

Instance:

Ride with skill that no one has ever seen before and conquer everything "Trey Jones"
Have your own unique amazing style that you get recognized for "Trey Jones"

I was thinking something like a Reynolds/Enarson type riding.. but also just like on some cracked up level.. then yes you got guys like Trey and the other side

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

4/12/2020 9:27 PM

readybmxer wrote:

100% style for me. I've grown completely numb watching what most would consider the big names in the game, it all just seems the same after a while to me.

I can't hate on any of them, cuz what they're doing is insane, but all these 4-pegs coaster edits are just not fun for me to watch. Same goes for many park edits, where things get especially repetitive and the style seems to be a "do as many tricks as you can fit in one air" type of vibe. I'll always prefer park over street, though.

That's why I love watching riding from guys like Jay Dalton, he's the clear stand-out of style in park riding IMO.

Yea it definitely gets dull and boring.. but would it be so if you could RIDE like that? That’s my point.. if I can 3 bar down a 20 set I sure wouldn’t be complaining LOL

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

4/12/2020 9:28 PM

Yea now that I’m thinking about it, it’s kinda hard to convey my point in trying to make, sorry guys

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

4/12/2020 9:37 PM

I like riding box jumps since I do bmx shows all the time. So the riding Ive grown accustomed to is just park bangers. I’d personally rather be able to send a A flipwhip to bar decent than rip around a bowl super Steezy.

but of course I’d love the find a middle ground.

|

4/12/2020 9:37 PM

I'd rather be me.. or...

|

4/12/2020 9:45 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I'd rather be me.. or...

Hell yea Elstran is so sick!

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

4/13/2020 4:46 AM

For those who want style, look up some Mike Aitken trails footage. He was the definition of style for YEARS. A lot of the riders out there with flow/style ride the same way.

Chris Doyle is rad too!

For me, I would love to be able to flow and fling the bike around. I am not great at it. I feel like if I were a skilled pro (generically), I would have a similar style to riders back in the early 00's where it counts if you roll away.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/13/2020 8:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2020 8:38 AM

Cory nastazio has always been my favourite rider since I first seen him do superman seat grabs and do a backflip at x games when I first started riding over 20 years ago , he’s always had the big moves but in the last decade he’s really upped his style game so he’s got a good mix of both

|

4/13/2020 8:40 AM

It’s hard to say with flatland because style comes with the skill. It’s hard to replicate other people in flatland because body differences mean you have to balance differently.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/13/2020 5:09 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

It’s hard to say with flatland because style comes with the skill. It’s hard to replicate other people in flatland because body differences mean you have to balance differently.

The only examples I could think of were flatlanders. Like Matthias obviously has style and can do some variety, but gets repetitive. Martti has crazy skills and has done mind boggling stuff, but he's always focused on NBD and difficulty over style. I think it's harder to measure "skill" in flatland though, because they're not out there trying random stuff on new obstacles every time, so style and consistency become a proxy for skill.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

4/13/2020 10:02 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I'd rather be me.. or...

My fav rider.

|

4/13/2020 11:31 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I'd rather be me.. or...

Some original stuff in here, but also way too many turtle speed, hub high tricks

|

4/14/2020 4:34 AM

Fatalize wrote:

Some original stuff in here, but also way too many turtle speed, hub high tricks

I've ridden a park with him, Erik is one of the raddest dudes in BMX, check out his Dragon Shredit video. Legit one of the most original out there. He still fires out the occasional flair etc, but does a lot of weird stuff too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/14/2020 6:41 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I've ridden a park with him, Erik is one of the raddest dudes in BMX, check out his Dragon Shredit video. Legit one of the most original out there. He still fires out the occasional flair etc, but does a lot of weird stuff too.

Dude does heaps of burly stuff as well as the unique stuff.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

4/14/2020 6:52 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I know this guy is really damn good, I was just talking about this edit in particular. Too many slow pace tricks in my opinion.

|