Thoughts on DK raven? (new bike)

Related:
Create New Tag

6/27/2013 5:31 PM

Hey everyone, I want to buy a new bike as my old one (that I got for free) is really really crappy and weighs a ton, I am also pretty much new to riding freestyle/bmx

I am thinking about buying a DK raven: [LINK TO IMAGE]
(when I get some money... haha)

specs:
-DK Pro designed frame geometry
-1 1/8" Fork w/ Chromoly steer tube and welded star nut
-8" Handlebars, 12° back and 2° up
-3pc crank features tubular chromoly arms, 8 spline spindle, and American BB
-DK 36h hubs with oversized rear axle and 9t cassette
-Authentic DK PC pedals and Tsuka grips, designed and tested by the DK Pro Team
-1pc Seat/Post Combo, light, strong, and simple
-25/9 Gearing
-TEKTRO 907A U Brakes with soft green pads and TEKTRO lever
-Kenda K RAD multisurface tires
-Aluminum Rims

Costs like ~$300-~$350 AUD. I couldn't really find any reviews on the bike either. So, what do you think?

Also, I am between 6' and 6'1 tall so should I really be getting a 20'' bike?

|

6/27/2013 6:14 PM

A 20" bike is fine but your gonna want a 21" tt. And those specs sound like a low level bike. Try getting a 2013 or even 2012 on sale since 2014 models are comin out

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

6/27/2013 9:57 PM

tomdon wrote:

A 20" bike is fine but your gonna want a 21" tt. And those specs sound like a low level bike. Try getting a 2013 or even 2012 on sale since 2014 models are comin out

This. Seems to me you should be able to get a better bike for that kind of money. When the company uses phrases like "pro designed frame geometry" they are talking up a less than spectacular product. Look for phrases like "full chromoly frame, forks, and bars". That is a good start. Add " fully sealed bearings" and you'll be headed in the right direction. Also, as stated above, if you're 6'0" or taller, 21.25 is the tt length you should be looking for. No sence in busting your kneecap on your stem all day.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

6/28/2013 4:21 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I shall keep looking. Hope I can find something good for me at the shops, there isn't much variety in my state.

|