Thoughts on Stranger XXL rims?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/2/2014 7:36 PM

Looking to make a wheel set with the stranger XXL rims, any thoughts, opinions or feelings toward them??? I ride lots of street and am starting to ride a lot more park.

|

Bikes, friends, and good times.

12/2/2014 7:40 PM

Well, it's not out yet but it does look to be the worst rim I've ever seen.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Very heavy, very weak design.

|

12/2/2014 7:40 PM

Your better off going either sunringle big
Ballers, odyssey rims or g sport if you wanna spend money ........I myself have payed for them all in the past I would go g sport in the front sunringle in the rear

|

12/2/2014 7:43 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Ballers, odyssey rims or g sport if you wanna spend money ........I myself have ...more

Why would you go Sun in the back only? Just wondering. I prefer the cross-laced stiffness of G-Sports in the back.

|

12/2/2014 7:55 PM

They seem dope as hell and I want them. Not crazy hard on rims but the wide design seems smart and I like their image.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/2/2014 8:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2014 8:03 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

They seem dope as hell and I want them. Not crazy hard on rims but the wide design seems smart and I like their image.

Width is only good to a certain extent. Like 36mm is as far as rims should go (Think Ribcage). This wide is stupid. Just too much weight for too little strength. Think of frame tubing thickness. More is only so good. Anymore and you don't gain noticeable strength but gain a lot of weight. And then with this design specifically, the sidewalls are just so poorly designed and it's a weak yet heavy design overall. Weak internal designed plus the spoke holes being drilled straight down is pretty much the weakest way you can do it. The walls where the spoke holes are should be angled to go with the spokes. I would understand buying parts for the company's image, but not when the parts are so poorly designed.

|

12/2/2014 8:03 PM

Thats how I am, I've never been one to destroy parts. And I like the idea of it too.

|

12/2/2014 8:03 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Weight isn't an issue for me. And thanks for showing me the pic.

|

12/2/2014 8:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2014 8:06 PM

The_Real_Hunter wrote:

Thats how I am, I've never been one to destroy parts. And I like the idea of it too.

If you like the idea of wide rims, go for Ribcages. Designed by an actual engineer with a unique stronger alloy, crazy strong and stiff cross laced design, hard anodized finish, ultra strong sidewalls, and proven over years to be the most durable rims you can buy. Plus, they're pretty light at under 18 ounces.

|

The_Real_Hunter wrote:

It should be. Rotational weight is very noticeable, and why would you want a rim that is heavier, yet weaker?

|

eskimojay wrote:

Ballers, odyssey rims or g sport if you wanna spend money ........I myself have ...more

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Why would you go Sun in the back only? Just wondering. I prefer the cross-laced stiffness of G-Sports in the back.

Im building a second bike (Federal Churchill in 20.6) and thats why I'm looking for a new wheel set. I have a BTM with roll cages laced to antigrams.

|

12/2/2014 8:06 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

The_Real_Hunter wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

It should be. Rotational weight is very noticeable, and why would you want a rim that is heavier, yet weaker?

thanks for the feedback!

|

12/2/2014 8:07 PM

It seems like you just want to try something outside of Odyssey and G-Sport. Check out Demolition's rims, they're pretty great.

|

12/2/2014 8:09 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

It seems like you just want to try something outside of Odyssey and G-Sport. Check out Demolition's rims, they're pretty ...more

Ill get on that

|

12/2/2014 8:14 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

It seems like you just want to try something outside of Odyssey and G-Sport. Check out Demolition's rims, they're pretty ...more

The_Real_Hunter wrote:

Ill get on that

my demo zero is solid af

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/3/2014 6:19 PM

I'll buy the rim and test it for myself when I get a coaster wheel and let everyone know.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/3/2014 6:29 PM

I'll buy the rim and test it for myself when I get a coaster wheel and let everyone know.

Im getting one for christmas i believe, so if i get it first ill tell you all the real truth

|

12/4/2014 11:56 AM

Based on what I read, they are not to reinvent the wheel, but more to make giant tires fit better on rims, and prevent more pinch flat issue.

Narrow rim + wide tire = thinner contact area (tire beads are close together) making them easier to fold over in a not straight landing, which is less stability in that sense (think

Wider rim + wider tire = wider space between beads making folding tires over a lot harder.

Look at other air-filled wheel sports, tires aren't too much wider than the rims, typically for this reason. A super wide tire on a narrow rim would have a ton of side flex, causing a lot of instability. Now this is based on a lower PSI, BUT it can still happen with higher psi. You will have more flex ona wide tire/narrow rim than a wide tire wide rim or even narrow tire narrow rim.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/26/2015 12:26 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I ended up getting a set of ribcages laced to a coaster and an N4FL. Haven't ridden them yet because i ordered them in LHD and my cranks aren't reversible.. Excited though!

|