Thoughts on the 2018 Colony Premise

Related:
Create New Tag

3/12/2018 6:40 AM

Sorry in advance for the long post.
Been riding on and off all my life, started bmx racing when i was the keen age of 3 but during high school i lost interest in the competitive side and wanted to branch out and do my own thing. now after finally landing a job that pays pretty good compared previous Jobs and having some free time too im looking to upgrade from my miraco axium and find something that i can ride street/park that I don’t have to fear breaking something when I decide im ready to start going bigger.
My few riding mates that i have back in my home town talk about colony like its the bees knees but If im going to pull the pin on paying $800 for a complete i just wanted a second opinion or if another had a suggestion for a similar price with higher specs or same specs for less.
Thanks guys.

|

3/12/2018 7:59 AM

If you're patient you could buy 3 second hand custom builds for the same money. Use the parts you want and sell the rest. Or 1 dialled custom and use the change to dial it in.
It's not a bad bike. But colony are no better than any other brand. It's pretty much all made in the same few factories in Taiwan anyway

|

3/12/2018 8:08 AM

I think I'd rather have the Eastern Shovelhead than the Colony tbh...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/12/2018 8:15 AM

Seems like a nice bike. But like Steve & Honda said (basically), I don't know that it is "all that". It's most likely built in the same factories as other completes... Eastern, Kink, WTP, etc..; As for Honda's opinion, I sorta agree. Keep in mind, I have NOT ridden the Colony. I just don't feel it has that much over the Shovelhead to necessitate the increased outlay in cash. Of course, I also have no experience in your end of the world & how much things from the states, etc... end up costing you. You'll have to determine that based on your experience.

Now, for Steve's opinion, I agree, 100%. If you can be patient, you can get some really great deals on used (but nearly new) items. You could build up a custom in that manner that would be leaps & bounds better than any complete.... Colony or otherwise.

|

3/12/2018 12:02 PM

I’d like to know the quality on Colony and Division bikes as well. The $450 Premise and $495 Fortiz both have all the specs we like and are very comparable to any of the other brands in the $400-$600 range. They just don’t seem to be as popular. I was really considering the Fortiz since it has everything plus hub guards and pegs already. Also, like the hour glass shaped head tube.
$495 Shipped
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/us/en/division-fortiz-bmx-bike-2018/rp-prod162201
SPECS:
Frame: Division Fortiz Full CrMo,
20.75”TT, 13.1” rear, 75.5º HA, 70º ST, MID BB, Integrated Headset. 9” Standover.
Forks: Division Fortiz Full CrMo, Tapered Fork Legs with 1 piece CNC steer tube.
Handlebars: Division 9.5″ rise 29.5″ wide Full CrMo
Braking System: Removable 990 brakes in the rear.
Grips: Division Sierra
Headset: Integrated
Stem: Division Forged Alloy Top Load
Sprocket: Division 25T.
Crankset: Division 3pce CrMo Tubular Tapered 8 spline, 170mm.
Bottom Bracket: Sealed Mid 19mm.
Chain: KMC.
Pedals: Colony Fantastic Plastic
Rims: Alloy Double Wall 36h.
Front Tyre: 20” x 2.4”
Rear Tyre: 20” x 2.4”
Spokes: Black steel.
Front Hub – Division Tactical Female axle, 36 hole, Sealed Bearing.
Front Hub Guards: Alloy Guards x 2
Rear Hub – Division Tactical Cassette, 36 hole, 14mm axle, Fully Sealed Bearing w/9t driver.
Rear Hub Guard: Division CrMo Multi Side Guard x 1
Pegs: Plastic/Alloy x 4 pieces
Seat & Seatpost: Division Optic Seat/Post Combo.
Weight: 10.9kgs
Available in ED Black/Army Green, Battleship Grey/Polished

|

3/12/2018 12:15 PM

Aah shit! You’re in Australia. Sorry, the link I sent was for pricing shipped to the USA. It’s weird. On ChainReactions website I clicked Australia for “which country” and both the Colony and Division bikes all disappeared!?!?

|

3/12/2018 12:53 PM

Ok I see. Colony/Division are located in Loganholme, Australia

|

3/13/2018 4:30 AM

thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. Going to take steves advice and keep my eyes pealed for a decent second hand bike that tick as many boxes for me as possible and make any changes From there, i already have a good set of flybikes montana bars, colony sweet tooth forks, sundae knox sprocket and shadow conspiracy interlock V2 chain so i think im just going to choose what parts i want to run on the bike i buy and sell the rest to make back some cash spent.

|

3/13/2018 4:44 AM

Yeah thats a good idea if you are willing to wait. Just make sure it isn't too old. I bought a second hand bike last year for $350. High quality parts but many had stripped and worn threads, meaning I probably overpaid for what I got.

|