The Gulf Coaster-An Affordable Z-Coaster

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2018 6:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 6:11 PM

Madera has been working on a freecoaster called the Gulf-Coaster. Now they've already confirmed it'll have Z-coaster like internals but have cut back on the adjustability and custom options to make it considerably cheaper.

Anyone else excited? I'll definitely be picking one up for when my Clutch V2 gives up way down the line. Thoughts? Photo

|

4/19/2018 6:25 PM

What's the price range supposed to be? That sucks it won't have as much adjustability though... becasue Id hate to be stuck on one slack setting as I like alot of slack...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/19/2018 6:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 6:59 PM

Dumb question but what is a z-coaster? is it a freecoaster produced by Madera? If the price is right I may consider it my alienation is bunk right now i dont even think it's worth repairing

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/19/2018 7:01 PM

They're cutting back on all the customs profile options like all the colors the titanium upgrades and the axle options. No MSRP yet though.

|

4/19/2018 7:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 7:41 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

They're cutting back on all the customs profile options like all the colors the titanium upgrades and the axle options. No ...more

Oh so it'll still have slack adjustment then?

Because I don't care for all the Titanium axles and color options anyways... as long as it's a solid 14mm Chromoly axle then I'm good!

Hopefully it be around $200... but I have a feeling it'll be more.... hopefully they release the price soon! But I really like my Clutch V2 though... I think I'll stick with my Clutch, but I really want to see what this new Madera hub is all about!

|

4/19/2018 8:15 PM

I spoke to Grant C about this a while back . He liked his sample a ton , and he was riding a z coaster before so I imagine it’ll ride the exact same . Too bad the dude is a pussy and blocked me lol I’ll stick to my clutch V2 . No real issues and I haven’t taken it apart ever

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/19/2018 8:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 8:22 PM

If it's the same internals then it'll be the same amount of customizable as the Zcoaster, just need to use profile parts, easy peasy.

|

4/19/2018 8:23 PM

Speaking of Madera once/if my Totems poop themselves I'll switch to Madera cause cheaper but same build quality.

|

4/19/2018 10:00 PM

DatJiggyNiggy wrote:

Dumb question but what is a z-coaster? is it a freecoaster produced by Madera? If the price is right I may consider it my ...more

https://www.profileracing.com/product/zcoaster%C2%81-hub/

Simply put, it's a hybrid of a freecoaster and a cassette, but the hub is never 100% one or the other. Kinda confusing, but the idea is it's the "best of both worlds" to many.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/19/2018 10:41 PM

Interesting! I was thinking about trying a freecoaster again the other day, very nearly pulled the trigger on a clutch v2. But then I'd need a new front hub and cranks because ocd :/

|

4/19/2018 11:46 PM

Very intrigued by this. Madera has a good team and seems to make good stuff, I would have loved to give a Zcoaster a go but it's way out of my price range. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled

|

4/20/2018 8:30 AM

readybmxer wrote:

https://www.profileracing.com/product/zcoaster%C2%81-hub/

Simply put, it's a hybrid of a freecoaster and a cassette, but the ...more

HOLY SHIT! I had no idea they could get up to be almost $600!?

I predict Madera/Profile will sell a good amount of these. I'd definitely be willing to try them out. I only have the Signet Guard sprocket, but man that thing is beefy.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/21/2018 11:12 PM

If it ain’t too pricy, i might cop one when my primo shits the bed

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

4/21/2018 11:13 PM

I like the idea of it, definitely something i’d be willing to drop the money on. Always wanted a z-coaster, just too damn pricy.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

4/24/2018 11:20 PM

from the start they were claiming this was a clutch-style coaster... now it's supposedly got z internals?? sounds like they scrapped the clutch idea or we are misinformed. i was hoping for a strong competitor for the odyssey clutch but so far nobody is contending. a freecoaster that clicks is my worst nightmare lol

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

5/31/2018 3:59 AM

Anyone still interested in this? https://www.profileracing.com/product/madera-gulf-coaster-hub/

$250 (£190) ish isn't too bad at all. I really want to try it out but can't seem to find a UK distributor sad

|

5/31/2018 4:06 AM

RumHam wrote:

Anyone still interested in this? https://www.profileracing.com/product/madera-gulf-coaster-hub/

$250 (190) ish isn't too bad ...more

Profile Europe distribute profile in Europe wink

|

5/31/2018 4:09 AM

RumHam wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Couldn't find the Gulf coaster on their site though sad

|

5/31/2018 5:18 AM

RumHam wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

RumHam wrote:

Me neither

|

5/31/2018 5:26 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

RumHam wrote:

philbaines wrote:

Me neither

Damn I was hoping I was just missing it, hopefully European/U.K release is just slightly later than U.S or something. Don't think I wanna pay over $100 just for the shipping, may as well just get a Z Coaster at that price haha

|

5/31/2018 5:29 AM

Is there still a way to change slack optoions? Becasue I'm sure that 90° slack engagement is only with 25-9... becasue that'll be like no slack with 28-9...

But I think I'm goning to stick with my Clutch... still like it more...

But the Z-Coaster/Gulf Coaster is a pretty cool design and I'm glad it exists!

|

5/31/2018 6:21 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Is there still a way to change slack optoions? Becasue I'm sure that 90 slack engagement is only with 25-9... becasue that'll ...more

Yeah of course there will be, I haven't ridden a coaster but I feel like 60 degrees would be annocae amount of slack for me which is probably how 90 on 25 9 feels on 28 9

|

Hmmm

5/31/2018 6:26 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Yeah of course there will be, I haven't ridden a coaster but I feel like 60 degrees would be annocae amount of slack for me ...more

Yeah I have very little slack. I've only had it engage while going fakie once or twice and I really love having some semblance of pedal pressure.

I'm interested in the GulfCoaster for sure. I like Madera parts, but I'm kinda always looking for an excuse to have 2 bikes rather than one that can do it all, so I like the idea of building my next bike with a cassette.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/31/2018 6:46 AM

I like alot of slack on my coasters, I ride backwards more than forwards so yeahlaughing

I have max slack on my Clutch V2, and it's really not that bad, I mean it's only a quarter crank with 28-9, I'd like a little more, but I've never had it engage on my riding fakie... I mean, if I feel sketched out that it will engage whIle riding fakie, I'll just pedal backwards again to make sure it's still disengaged, or I'll just roll out of it lol

|

5/31/2018 7:17 AM

I'm getting a little concerned over whether the 90 degree slack ring will actually be interchangeable, I can't find any info saying it is, we can assume you can use the same slack rings as the Z-coaster but no concrete answer on that, I run Max slack on my Clutch on 25/9 which is like 115 degrees cranks rotation, So if you can't increase slack this may not be for me.

|

5/31/2018 9:33 AM

RumHam wrote:

philbaines wrote:

Me neither

RumHam wrote:

Damn I was hoping I was just missing it, hopefully European/U.K release is just slightly later than U.S or something. Don't ...more

It'll probably be a few months before they show up here. It all depends how quickly customs move, and that's after profile get round to shipping them

|

5/31/2018 9:52 AM

RHD only... at least for right now.

|

5/31/2018 10:17 AM

RumHam wrote:

Damn I was hoping I was just missing it, hopefully European/U.K release is just slightly later than U.S or something. Don't ...more

I really want to buy a new frame this summer while standard still uses ox platinum tubing but I am terrified of shipping and mostly import tax raping me for a product that isn't even made in this country, it's ridiculous.
Just going to have to smuggle it in up my ass I think

|

Hmmm

5/31/2018 11:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2018 11:10 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I really want to buy a new frame this summer while standard still uses ox platinum tubing but I am terrified of shipping and ...more

Save your ass and move to the stateswink

|

5/31/2018 11:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2018 11:19 AM

RumHam wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

I really want to buy a new frame this summer while standard still uses ox platinum tubing but I am terrified of shipping and ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Save your ass and move to the stateswink

Yeah but Gregg's and healthcare
Also don't feel like moving to an inferior country laughing

|

Hmmm