Threaded 3 piece crank upgrade query?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/16/2017 10:08 AM

Hey guys,

I've been riding again recently after a 15 year hiatus. The bike I bought has a 3 piece crank but has a loose bearing bottom bracket. This is whole new world to me. Back in the day I never came across a loose bearing bottom bracket on a 3 piece, only 1 piece. All the 3 pieces back when I was a kid had sealed BBs.

I want to move over to a sealed bottom bracket as they feel nicer and this one already keeps working loose. I find myself asking:

Am I able to just replace the unsealed bottom bracket with a sealed one?
If so, will I need to replace the crank spindle with a non threaded one?
If so, am I likely to find a replacement that will fit (a basic stock crank on a relatively cheap bike)?

Or

Am I likely to have to replace the whole crankset & bottom bracket?

The bike in question is an Eastern Vulture (see here)

Cheers,

|

2/16/2017 10:28 AM

Hold the phone... I think I've just figured out what I have to do! You can buy sealed bottom bracket and spindle combos with 8 spline ends like this.

I think will do the trick.

|

2/16/2017 10:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2017 10:56 AM

Stevearcade wrote:

Hold the phone... I think I've just figured out what I have to do! You can buy sealed bottom bracket and spindle combos with 8 ...more

That'll do as long as the current bearing cups can be removed from the frame, the frame has a Mid bottom bracket shell and your current cranks are 19mm 8spline with a pinch bolt.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/16/2017 11:03 AM

The frame has a US bb, so yeah, you just need a US sealed bb for 19mm axle, and a 19mm 8 spline axle.
Double check the diameter of your axle though, there are a few 20mm and finding anything compatible with them is a ball ache.

|

2/16/2017 12:23 PM

Cheers guys. I've put the order in. If my spindle turns out to be a 20mm (which is probably unlikely on a mass produced cheap crank) then I'll just bite the bullet and buy a new crankset.

|