Thunderbolts are stuck on

Related:
Create New Tag

1/16/2018 4:41 PM

As i’m building up my s&m, taking parts off my volume has proven easy until i got to the cranks. those thunderbolts are really stuck on there, and since i’ve really only got the strength of my right arm (left clavicle is fractured) my efforts to get them off have been weak.

i’ve tried whacking them with a mallet, using WD40 to loosen up the grease on the wedge cluster, threading in the crank bolt and tapping that in an effort to get the arm apart, all to no avail. anyone got some ideas? i’m at a loss here.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

1/16/2018 4:52 PM

if you already took the rest of the bike apart, it might be a little challenging. I usually just flip my bike upside down or have it in a bike stand, then smack the arm with a block of wood & a hammer or a rubber mallet. I was gonna say just flip your bike upside down, then use your leg to make sure the bike doesn't fall over then smack the arm with the mallet

|

1/16/2018 5:18 PM

Heat them up over a stove then try it. I had the same problem once and that worked. Just remember to grease it before you put them on next time.

|

1/16/2018 6:46 PM

Easiest way to get them off if they're really stuck on there is to back the bolt out a bit, get on the bike and hop, alternating between regular and switch footed. The bike does have to be in one piece to do this though.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/16/2018 6:57 PM

Yea when I redid the t1 my snafu chunk cranks and sprocket were fused at the bolt from years of it mashing in there, I had to just leave it or drill it out. I wound up selling them and starting fresh... Hope you get em unlocked shit can be a bitch. Try using breaker bars and shit on your tools.

|

1/16/2018 7:12 PM

Just smack em with a hammer. Sometimes mallets are too soft.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/16/2018 8:23 PM

i’ll throw some parts back on it and have a friend ride it, doing the hopping method that p1 mentioned. if that doesn’t work, i’ll just keep hitting them

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

1/16/2018 8:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2018 8:56 PM

I put a chunk of 2x4 up against the crank arm, take a 3lb hammer and give it one or two whacks. Just watch your sprocket. Aim low as close to the bottom bracket as possible.

I love that my cranks are hard to get off. Makes me trust they wont come loose when I least need them to.

|

1/16/2018 8:54 PM

Beat the piss out of it with a mallet . Just give her a good smack and don’t be worried about damaging it .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/17/2018 7:13 AM

I had the same "problem" the best way to get them off is to heat them up - I always use a lighter for some seconds and then give them one good hit with a rubber mallet wink

|

1/17/2018 7:36 AM

vie4130 wrote:

I had the same "problem" the best way to get them off is to heat them up - I always use a lighter for some seconds and then give them one good hit with a rubber mallet wink

surely heating the cranks would void the warranty since they are heat treated

|

Hmmm

1/17/2018 7:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 7:48 AM

Edman123 wrote:

surely heating the cranks would void the warranty since they are heat treated

This but the only way they'd know that is if you told them.

Small amounts of heat won't bother it, but if you torch it till it's red hot, you're just weakening your cranks..

Couldn't you just use a flathead and a hammer to punch the wedge cluster out the back of the spindle boss? Surely that'd break them loose, I would think.

Or build the bike up and ride it around without the bolt, see if that breaks em loose.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/17/2018 8:48 AM

To be honest, every method mentioned here sucks. The best way to get them off is a gear puller.

The quickest, easiest way to get them off is to loosen your bolt off and hop, alternating between regular and switch-footed. The idea is to be as "unsmooth" as possible, dumping as much of the landing as possible into the cranks. Just don't take the bolt the whole way out before doing this in case the crankarm flies off and you get injured. You'll want to check if they're loose after every hop so you don't damage them.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/17/2018 7:21 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

To be honest, every method mentioned here sucks. The best way to get them off is a gear puller.

The quickest, easiest way to get them off is to loosen your bolt off and hop, alternating between regular and switch-footed. The idea is to be as "unsmooth" as possible, dumping as much of the landing as possible into the cranks. Just don't take the bolt the whole way out before doing this in case the crankarm flies off and you get injured. You'll want to check if they're loose after every hop so you don't damage them.

I took a piece of a 2x4 and put it on the crankaem and took about 20 whacks at it, doing nothing. my bro came over and hopped on, doing some hops. cranks didn’t budge. i’ll have someone give it another shot, i just wish i could do it myself.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

1/17/2018 7:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 9:43 PM

This is for anyone who doesn't know, who has thunderbolts to just remember to install the wedges on the correct side as one side of the wedge is slightly steeper then the other, if installed incorrectly you'll have a hard time installing and un-installing.

|

1/17/2018 7:46 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I took a piece of a 2x4 and put it on the crankaem and took about 20 whacks at it, doing nothing. my bro came over and hopped on, doing some hops. cranks didn’t budge. i’ll have someone give it another shot, i just wish i could do it myself.

The idea is to dump the force of the landing into the cranks so, hop and land with your legs straight so that you don't soak up any of the landing force.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/20/2018 6:58 PM

I got them off. brought my bike inside to warm it up (per my moms suggestion) and they came off first try. i did the same thing with my coaster, after it had rusted shut. cranks are now off my volume frame, and are now on the s&m

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

1/20/2018 8:07 PM

The "official" way is to loosen the bolt and do switch footed hops until they come off.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/22/2018 1:39 PM

Yeah if your out doing this in 30° weather, that definitely doesn't help at all. Mom's know best...lol

|