Tight spot in new chain & sprocket.

Related:
Create New Tag

4/29/2015 5:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2015 6:42 PM

So last Thursday I went to my local bike shop and picked up a s&m x-man sprocket (28t). After installing I noticed a mad tight spot mid crank and then massive loose spot. So I figured oh it must be the chain (kmc 410H) so I installed my brothers spare chain (kmc Z410NP which is new) but still had a tight spot. On the weekend I bought the almighty odyssey keychain (solid not hollow) it worked fine when I tried it and I didn't notice a tight spot. Fast forward to Tuesday on my way home from school something feels weird and behold another fucking tight spot. Any suggestions? I am running the proper washer so that can't be it. Is it just wearing in? Is this suppose to be normal? Any help would be helpful thanks.

Tldr; massive tight spot in chain although proper washer is in use.

|

4/29/2015 6:09 PM

Did you spin the cranks with the new sprocket on it before you put the chain on it to see if it spun straight?

Also, did you make sure you tightened the crank bolts FIRST, then the sprocket bolt?

If you tighten the sprocket bolt first, then the crank bolts, it will cause tight/loose spots since the sprocket will be sitting slightly uneven.

|

4/29/2015 6:13 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Did you spin the cranks with the new sprocket on it before you put the chain on it to see if it spun straight?

Also, did you ...more

Yes and yes the sprocket is straight I checked multiple times.

|

4/29/2015 11:36 PM

make sure theyre spaced out/lined up properly

and check for any fucked up teeth.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/30/2015 5:18 PM

sketchytravis wrote:

make sure theyre spaced out/lined up properly

and check for any fucked up teeth.

They are lined up properly and the teeth on the hub are still good.

|

4/30/2015 5:21 PM

Sometimes this happenes to me and i just ride it till it fixes itself

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

5/1/2015 8:09 AM

Driver super worn? Bearings bad? That could aid in the issue.

I would take the chain off and spin everything else and inspect the crap out of it. Make sure the sprocket is on the correct hat washer/spacer for your spindle.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/1/2015 11:13 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Driver super worn? Bearings bad? That could aid in the issue.

I would take the chain off and spin everything else and inspect ...more

Well the hub is a shadow rant. The teeth on them are worn but not fucked up. How would the bearing have any affect on the chain tension.
On a side not my frame is slightly bent on the left drop out.

|

5/1/2015 12:30 PM

If the bearing had slop due to damage it could allow the driver to float a little, giving it front to back wiggle causing tight/loose spots.

Teeth being worn could be the issue, they could be worn unevenly, or if you use a lot of pedal pressure there could be a little deforming in certain spots causing some trouble.

Take everything off and inspect it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/1/2015 11:53 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

If the bearing had slop due to damage it could allow the driver to float a little, giving it front to back wiggle causing ...more

Just took the hub apart the hub shell bearing is still good but the driver bearing was slighty blown. When I spun my axle i notice a slight up and down wobble.

|

5/2/2015 7:33 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

If the bearing had slop due to damage it could allow the driver to float a little, giving it front to back wiggle causing ...more

Ahh skeet skeet wrote:

Just took the hub apart the hub shell bearing is still good but the driver bearing was slighty blown. When I spun my axle i ...more

Bummer, but also good that it was figured out, and see if there is a local bearing place nearby to you, they might have the bearing for like 6-10 bucks.

That's what I do unless it is some proprietary setup *COUGH KHE Driver bearings COUGH*.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/2/2015 3:13 PM

Okay yeah I think I'm going to do that thanks Dave.

|

5/2/2015 4:43 PM

Perhaps your chain alignmet with your driver is off. Check that, another thing might be an ovalized sprocket.

|

FI

5/2/2015 10:55 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

Perhaps your chain alignmet with your driver is off. Check that, another thing might be an ovalized sprocket.

The first thing I did was check if it if my sprocket and driver were aligned properly. Yesterday I had the chance to disassemble my hub and noticed my axle was slightly bent. I think that is the reason for the tight spot.

|