Tightness of a chain?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/3/2012 8:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2012 8:23 PM

hey guys i recently got a new sprocket and a chain reason being is everything i would wall ride or bunny hop my old chain would hit my frame my sprocket was a bit bent and my chain was pulled as far as it could get. i was just wondering if this is how tight a chain should be? or should i loosen it up a bit? i can pedal freely and i don't seem to have any tight/loose spots i guess ive never ridden a chain like that always used to having them loose and hitting my frame O_O

&feature=youtu.be
|

8/3/2012 8:39 PM

Mine is tighter than that. It's personal preference, have it as tight or loose as you want.

|

8/3/2012 8:45 PM

alright sounds good =P Thanks

|

8/3/2012 8:49 PM

I ride mine that tight too but it always seems to snap. I have like 4 different pieces of chains put together on my bike right now with 4 different master links. Hahaha

|

8/3/2012 9:02 PM

thats what im trying to avoid should i loosen it up a bit so it doesn't snap? Or do you put alot of pressure on your chain?

|

8/3/2012 9:51 PM

Aav1996 wrote:

thats what im trying to avoid should i loosen it up a bit so it doesn't snap? Or do you put alot of pressure on your chain?

I've never snapped a chain from just pedalling. I'm running a KMC 410 as well which is pretty much a low end stock chain.

|

8/3/2012 10:22 PM

Too loose is not good and neither is too tight. Your chain should have just a little play in it where when you turn your crank there shouldn't be any tension it should be nice and smooth. Too loose and you get the chain banging on the frame plus it puts unnecessary stress on the teeth of the hub. Too tight and it puts unneeded pressure on the chainwheel and the hub. I usually check mine after a day of riding,and make the adjustments as needed.

|

Refs~ scamhype x 3, pikachu, kroller, Ivan, kingcitybikeco, powerhouse, and traded w/ Jr Faw &Kevin Burnette
Sold 24" complete to some kid on here Chris....something I think.

8/3/2012 10:27 PM

sounds good guess ill keep the chain like that how are the cults chain?

|

8/4/2012 12:21 AM

cult chain is gay, its just a KMC 510 chain. I broke a few 510, But I'v broken most chains out there. The Cult chain is fine, I prefer a half link though.

|

8/4/2012 12:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2012 12:41 AM

Aav1996 wrote:

brianoob wrote:

I've never snapped a chain from just pedalling. I'm running a KMC 410 as well which is pretty much a low end stock chain.

I dunno. I just usually end up making it a little too tight just cuz I hate having play in it. Makes it stretch quicker, severly weakening the metal already, so it'll end up snapping when I go to pedal. Alot of it usually has to do with grinding a ledge or something and the chain hitting, just making it worse. It'd probably never happen again if I had a Primo DSG and a half link chain. Lol

|