Time For BMX to Grow Up

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2012 10:41 AM

Mike Hines of the BMX Riders Organization posted this excellent essay about No Bikes rules at skateparks. BMX Riders Organization (BRO) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing information and assistance to those seeking public facilities for BMX riders. Take a little time to read it, it is well worth it.

"No one will take us serious if we are bunch of unruly thugs demanding entrance outside a facility that most cities are already weary of building. If risk management (the attorneys of the city) had it their way, there wouldn’t be public pools, playgrounds, sports fields and surely zero skate parks. Skateboarding and BMX riding are high risk activities. Maybe you and I know our limits and feel it’s no different in danger than football or soccer, but cities and lawyers see differently. They are fearful of being sued, and more importantly, they are fearful of spending a million dollars on a facility that could potentially bring (in their minds) punk kids getting hurt in a city park. "

|

8/6/2012 11:29 AM

i like how in the picture the kid on the bike is black
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

8/6/2012 11:34 AM

Yeah, i get that cement parks should let everyone ride or what ever.. But indoors like skatelight (the wood) the at skate parks cost's alot of money per sheet or what ever. and pegs and people trowing there bikes will make holes fast. I can see why places like woodward does it because they make sooooo much money off kids it's not even funny but local parks idk if they want to spend all the money doing it.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

8/6/2012 11:54 AM

our local park doesn't allow bmx riders and all of their ramps, boxes and rails are all metal. They won't allow bicycles because it prevents local kids getting in the park on their walmart bikes and hurting themselves...yet i see kids on rip sticks, roller blades and cheap skate boards in the park without any safety gear on every single day.

|

8/6/2012 11:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2012 11:59 AM

sbc785 wrote:

our local park doesn't allow bmx riders and all of their ramps, boxes and rails are all metal. They won't allow bicycles because it prevents local kids getting in the park on their walmart bikes and hurting themselves...yet i see kids on rip sticks, roller blades and cheap skate boards in the park without any safety gear on every single day.

I laugh at little kids when they fall on there walmart boards, not because the kids suck it's because the board sucks :D

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

8/6/2012 4:27 PM

carjakester wrote:

i like how in the picture the kid on the bike is black
[LINK TO IMAGE]

lol

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

8/6/2012 4:29 PM

carjakester wrote:

i like how in the picture the kid on the bike is black
[LINK TO IMAGE]

because black people are the root of all evilz











lulz

|

8/6/2012 7:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2012 7:19 PM

Every time I've been to a skatepark and been in an "unruly thug" situation, has been because some dick head skater faggot has tried to fight me or punk me for my bike or something, then the cops show up and I get tossed out and they get left alone. I feel that's more ridiculous than anything. I've had talks with the park rangers out here (they're the ones that control city skateparks before the cops are needed), and even they have told me it's bullshit that bikers aren't allowed in, and that we all need to get it sorted out with the city. But unfortunatly whether they agree with me or not, they still have to do their jobs and ask us to leave in front of the people that are bitching. However I do agree with the point that Mike was trying to make in this article. Stupid punk ass kids need to stop their shit so we don't get demonized more. Littering, doing drugs, causing problems and fucking things up at local skateparks is definately NOT going to help us, especially when there's little kids and their parents around. All of us that ride trails have obviously found this out the hard way. But how stupid can people be honestly? You would think it would just be common sense. But the only way to prevent this is to take a stand against it yourself. If you see someone acting like a child and causing problems, kick their asses out and say you're trying to do the right thing for the sake of everyone in the park and community. If that doesn't work or you're not willing to, call the cops and use the same story and I'm sure a few people will back you up at least. People seem to have no problem doing it to us, so what does it matter? It's either gonna be us or them, but it seems like no one is willing to stand up for it, so then we lose by default and it affects everyone.

|

8/6/2012 7:54 PM

Over 140 views at this point and only 7 comments, not including my original or this comment. Three of which are about the picture. I guess that is at least an indication one of them looked at the article.

|

8/6/2012 9:25 PM

Fondue wrote:

Over 140 views at this point and only 7 comments, not including my original or this comment. Three of which are about the picture. I guess that is at least an indication one of them looked at the article.

Things aren't going to change man..... Ive had bmx riders laugh at me for wearing a helmet riding street..... ive had skaters laugh kids are kids but i do agree that the reason people look at us bmxers wrong is because of the few that spoil the group. I don't ride pegs and im respectful of peoples property (ive even encountered a few chill security guards) they let me ride a parking lot but i don't go around fucking their shit up we have to be mindful of people if we want them to be mindful of us

|

8/6/2012 9:43 PM

I dont get why places ban bikes all together. If they just set a plastic peg rule i dont see why there would be any problems

|

8/6/2012 10:49 PM

My friend and I got yelled at for riding in the parking lot of an old folks home. They were all staring out the window so it was probably the best entertainment theyve had in a while, and we weren't harming anything or anyone. People just hate bikers.

|

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

8/6/2012 10:56 PM

yea man shit happens.... just today i got yelled at by some idiot because i was crossing the street at my TURN and he decides to fucking making a right turn then blames me. Then i almost got run over by this other lady and idk its been a shit day

|

8/6/2012 10:56 PM

Derek_Bolz wrote:

My friend and I got yelled at for riding in the parking lot of an old folks home. They were all staring out the window so it was probably the best entertainment theyve had in a while, and we weren't harming anything or anyone. People just hate bikers.

People just don't want people to mess with there shit.. Old people are wired lol.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

8/6/2012 10:58 PM

Derek_Bolz wrote:

My friend and I got yelled at for riding in the parking lot of an old folks home. They were all staring out the window so it was probably the best entertainment theyve had in a while, and we weren't harming anything or anyone. People just hate bikers.

LOL nice sig that guy was trying to show me how to manual longer =P

|

8/6/2012 10:59 PM

Derek_Bolz wrote:

My friend and I got yelled at for riding in the parking lot of an old folks home. They were all staring out the window so it was probably the best entertainment theyve had in a while, and we weren't harming anything or anyone. People just hate bikers.

Mikel8149 wrote:

People just don't want people to mess with there shit.. Old people are wired lol.

Honestly i think people don't understand Bmx riders whenever i go riding i get looked at like if im some crazy fuck falling is a part of any sport..... falling is a part of life but people look at me like im ignorant for getting back up and trying? I don't think humanity is ready for bmx O__O to much awesomeness maybe? LOL

|

8/6/2012 11:01 PM

To anyone who did not read the article the main point trying to be made is, if we as Bmx riders want to be let into skateparks and want people to treat us with respect we should act like we deserve it. I've seen alot of kids smoking weed and their bikes on the side and shit like that to a normal bystander they look at people like that and think every bmx rider does that. Stereotypes if you must?

|

8/7/2012 5:15 AM

Fad3r wrote:

I dont get why places ban bikes all together. If they just set a plastic peg rule i dont see why there would be any problems

I agree. The thing is, and one point of the article, is that bmxers are not showing up to the boring city council meetings to inform officials of the alternatives. And seriously, skaters are not going to do it for us. Which brings me to another important point Hines makes. Skaters do all the boring parts and then bmxers show up without lifting a finger to get things done, or even a thank you. BMXers just feel entitled, granted the money comes from taxpayer funds.

|

8/7/2012 5:18 AM

Derek_Bolz wrote:

My friend and I got yelled at for riding in the parking lot of an old folks home. They were all staring out the window so it was probably the best entertainment theyve had in a while, and we weren't harming anything or anyone. People just hate bikers.

I wouldn't doubt that it was the best entertainment for them. If not, at least it was probably a change for them. My mom is in a nursing home (I'm old) and the entertainment is usually a bluegrass band.

|

8/7/2012 5:20 AM

Aav1996 wrote:

yea man shit happens.... just today i got yelled at by some idiot because i was crossing the street at my TURN and he decides to fucking making a right turn then blames me. Then i almost got run over by this other lady and idk its been a shit day

That's just flat out disregard for other users of the road. But I feel ya, bro.

|

8/7/2012 5:26 AM

Aav1996 wrote:

To anyone who did not read the article the main point trying to be made is, if we as Bmx riders want to be let into skateparks and want people to treat us with respect we should act like we deserve it. I've seen alot of kids smoking weed and their bikes on the side and shit like that to a normal bystander they look at people like that and think every bmx rider does that. Stereotypes if you must?

This. Plus, if you want bmxers allowed into the parks, be involved. Stereotypes DO suck, but they are a fact of life and you cannot stop it from happening. And really all Hines is saying is look presentable when you are involved. And if you are the pothead smoking at the skatepark, you're making bmx look bad. Do it somewhere else, especially if you want people to believe you when you say "this keeps me from doing drugs."

|

8/7/2012 5:45 AM

And to the pot smokers, I'm not saying don't do drugs. What I'm saying is do them away from the park so you don't give people an excuse to stereotype the bmx community.

|

8/7/2012 11:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2012 11:41 AM

Fondue wrote:

And to the pot smokers, I'm not saying don't do drugs. What I'm saying is do them away from the park so you don't give people an excuse to stereotype the bmx community.

People make it seem like it's THAT hard to smoke at home before you leave or go to a friend's house first. Come on, my mom used to be a cop and I still got away with it at home while she was there. Hahaha. Go in your backyard, take a walk around the block with a joint so it looks like a cigarette or something. Not that hard, just don't bring it around the parks out of respect to us all.

|

8/9/2012 4:30 PM

I have local parks that allow pretty much anything. You can even do parkour and shit on the quarter pipes. xD There is some graffiti, which I'm not too big of a fan of, so I really want a clean, well, self-maintained park. Like where people themselves actually clean and run the park themselves, not having the park janitors do that shit. I know it'll never happen cause some douchebag or badass will come by and just litter and paint all over the place.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update





Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/9/2012 5:43 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I have local parks that allow pretty much anything. You can even do parkour and shit on the quarter pipes. xD There is some graffiti, which I'm not too big of a fan of, so I really want a clean, well, self-maintained park. Like where people themselves actually clean and run the park themselves, not having the park janitors do that shit. I know it'll never happen cause some douchebag or badass will come by and just litter and paint all over the place.

thats a pretty good idea..... if the kids want to ride they make sure the park is clean rake the leaves and what not and if they dont want to work then don't fucking ride lol. I also think it would work i mean if i put hard work to cleaning the park and some fuck face decides to litter what i cleaned we'd have a problem =)

|

8/10/2012 12:03 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I have local parks that allow pretty much anything. You can even do parkour and shit on the quarter pipes. xD There is some graffiti, which I'm not too big of a fan of, so I really want a clean, well, self-maintained park. Like where people themselves actually clean and run the park themselves, not having the park janitors do that shit. I know it'll never happen cause some douchebag or badass will come by and just litter and paint all over the place.

Aav1996 wrote:

thats a pretty good idea..... if the kids want to ride they make sure the park is clean rake the leaves and what not and if they dont want to work then don't fucking ride lol. I also think it would work i mean if i put hard work to cleaning the park and some fuck face decides to litter what i cleaned we'd have a problem =)

And maybe thats exactly why some people have problems at the skate park. smile Anyways, none of my parks are clean because no one likes to clean and I understand cause its already dirty as shit.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update





Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/10/2012 2:06 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

And maybe thats exactly why some people have problems at the skate park. smile Anyways, none of my parks are clean because no one likes to clean and I understand cause its already dirty as shit.

Well?.......Gather up a bunch of friends that are willing to put in a day of hard work. It won't kill ya and the payoff would be worth it! Just ask trail riders....

|

8/10/2012 3:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2012 3:49 PM

it seems like there are always milkshakes or whatever thrown on the obstacles at my local skatepark. i have picked up trash before a session. its not hard to throw shit away. someone even stole a funbox from the park. broke the bolts holding it down. in my town there are 20 skaters to 1 bmx rider. (bmx riders who actually do tricks not just ride for transportation). Is BMX is the red headed step child of action sports? skating has almost gone cliche: in TV whenever they show a "troubled teen" or other badass type kid, he usually is a skater.

|

8/10/2012 6:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2012 6:11 PM

i want to see if me and my friends could have a meeting because me and my friends only have trails to ride (i dont mind) but only 3 out 4 want to work on them. the one who doesnt want to work on them they are behind his house. plus our local riders dont destroy stuff. we get kicked out of places almost daily. the problem is our cops think we are a bunch a little shits causing trouble and local people think they can walk all over us. but if they do hate us or not doesnt matter we can still try. one time we were near these banks but of course we cant ride them cuz their for a bridge this old dude was like only u guys could ride those and i was like well at least someone in our town doesnt think were criminals

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

8/10/2012 6:11 PM

Fad3r wrote:

I dont get why places ban bikes all together. If they just set a plastic peg rule i dont see why there would be any problems

a plastic peg rule isnt the answer. if its a public park thats paid for with my tax dollars i should be allowed to set my bike up how i please.
this comment in particular hits home with me. me and my friends have had the cops called on us, at a skatepark, by a skater, multiple times because we ride metal pegs. not everyone can afford plastic pegs cheap as they may be. yes, another answer would be taking off the pegs, but why should we be forced to change how we ride? skate trucks are made of metal, yet they are totally ok. its bullshit.

|

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..